aberdeen-music

Favourite Directors?

Paulscoconutass

Just wondering if anybody likes every film that a single director has made?

I can't say there's a single Todd Solondz film that I dislike - although there's only 4 widely avaliable ones. They're all so awkward, grey and outlandish, plus he's got to be the best at doing dark comedy at the moment. I'd probably recomend that people check out Welcome to the Dollhouse or Happiness first, I think they're his strongest ones.

I'd also say Lars Von Trier and Lukas Moodysson but you've got to be in a certain mood to watch their films, very good at story telling. Guess Tarantino's pretty cool too, although his films are more about cool and homage than anything else.

What's everybody elses' favourite directors?

Guest DustyDeviada

Can't think of a bad David Fincher film off the top of my head (yes, I like Alien3), although I haven't seen Zodiac yet.

Scorsese's pretty consistent as well, although Gangs of New York blots his copybook somewhat. Seems fairly clear that the longer they go on the more chance they have of making something rubbish, with film being such a collaborative process it's not always the director's fault.

Guest DustyDeviada

I didn't say that if they went on for long enough EVERYTHING would be crap, I said that there was more chance of SOMETHING being crap.

If you look at Wes Anderson for example, he's made four or five films in 10 years or something? Whereas Scorsese has been going for almost 40 years and made dozens of films, so the law of averages says that sooner or later one of them will be rubbish.

I also thought The Departed was brilliant, The Aviator was pretty good as well.

Haven't seen Kundun though.

Can't think of a bad David Fincher film off the top of my head (yes, I like Alien3), although I haven't seen Zodiac yet.

At last! I am not alone.

As well as Fincher my favourite directors include:

Martin Scorcese

Stanley Kubrick

John Huston

Roman Polanski

Sam Peckinpah

Sergio Leone

Guillermo Del Toro

Bryan Singer - The Usual Suspects of course

Luc Besson

Tarantino, Rodriguez and Spielberg go without saying.

Aaargh! I forgot to include Michael Mann.

Brian De Palma should also get a nod for Scarface, The Untouchables and Mission: Impossible. But I'll draw the line at Snake Eyes

Guest DustyDeviada

If we are widening it to favourite directors, that's easy, but the original question was directors where you have like all of their films.

But if it's just faves I would say (in addition to Fincher and Scorsese):

Eastwood

De Palma

Kubrick

Tarantino

Coppola

Leone

Siegel

Hitchcock

Allen

Landis

Friedkin

Winner ;)

Danny Boyle seems like a cop out since he's only directed 7 films - but I at least like them all. In fact, I only "like" A Life Less Ordinary and Sunshine. The other 5 are all brilliant films I reckon.

So in that case I'll pick John Landis. I fucking love most of his films!

Guest bluesxman

I also like David Lynch. And David Fincher rates highly with me also, The Game is amazing and sorely under-rated. Martin Scorsese, so many good films. I thought Gangs Of New York was good, superior to The Aviator in my book.

Also -

Dario Argento

Jim Jarmusch

Sergio Leone

Larry Clark

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Francis Coppola needs a mention for The Godfather movies and Apocalypse Now.

Guest DustyDeviada
After studying Miyazaki and his films for the past fuck knows how long for my dissertation, I find it incredibly unbelievable that i forgot about him.

Is he the old Chinese dude out of The Karate Kid?