aberdeen-music

Agh, my computer is unbearable

Bodast

It skips here and there and can barely do two things at once. I got a crap cleaner which didn't do much.. the hard drive is almost full too, all in all I think I got one that isn't really suited to my needs.

Anyway, I was thinking about formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows, but I can't find my disc (I'm at uni and the disc should be at home but the only ones my sister can find are drivers and stuff) - if I get someone else's will I be able to use it?

Also, for after I've finished, I need new anti-virus software because mine has expired and was rubiss anyway. We can get Sophos free from uni - is that good enough?

One more thing, my graphics card probs isn't too great but I only play oldish games anyway but I might progress to something more demanding later... is it worth paying for extra storage and graphics card and stuff for a computer that isn't that good anyway? I just can't really afford a new one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated a lot :)

Guest Bailz

So long as you get the same version of Windows and you have your CD key it'll be fine. If you're running Windows XP Home then you can use any Windows XP Home install disc with your key and it should work.

I use the Sophos that we get from the Uni and it does the job fine (as far as I'm aware).

As far as the graphics card goes I'd consider buying a whole new system. Graphics card alone isn't what runs newer games it's a combination of CPU, GPU, RAM etc. What kind of spec is the system you have at the moment?

B

Guest Bailz

There's more than likely of Certificate of Authenticity on the back of your computer. Is it Windows XP we're talking about here? If it's 98 or something it could be on your XP manual instead.

I'd definitely recommend buying a new one instead of just putting a new a new GC in. You should notice a big difference just by formatting for using it for Uni work etc. Just make sure you get Sophos and some decent malware apps on it.

B

I use AVG antivirus which is free and pretty good. And if you want a free firewall try Comodo (i use this one and think its very good) or for an easier to use option Zone Alarm (the free version is alright but can be buggy at times - and cos it's free not a priority to be fixed)

I agree with running spybot, and you could run ad-aware too.

Sorry, don't have any links at the moment, but you'll find it all via google.

I thank you.

Since I posted this thread and changed the name of "Partner for life" to "shit companion," it has been doing quite well and even let me run messenger with a ten year old game. However, I am going to take a harsh stand against its dirty hard drive and take many of your counsels into my heavy handed undertaking.

5468617420697320616C6C.

Goto zonealarm.com

Download the 15 day free trial. Its miles better that crappy spyboy, the trial has no nasty extra's and once its up you can just uninstall it, delete the program files and any traces of it. Reinstall and get the party going again.

Im a heavy gamer, not by choice. Its not worth buying anything atm with the new Dx10 on the go. All the cards out atm are soooo expensive. Stick with rollin dice or solitare.

Give zone alarm a go, thank me later :up: