aberdeen-music

Madeleine's Family Send Out Email Poster

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony of this whole thing is that the absolutely stupid scale of this 'search', and the global media frenzy, will have done nothing but to make the kidnappers panic and act irrationally. As has already been mentioned, it would have only lasted a few days in the media cycle if 'madee' was a working class kid. Much like the Sherridan sex scandals of last year, it's been whipped up for far too long, and is starting to grate at my patience.

This might sound totally stupid to some people but the best thing they could have offered, instead of millions of pounds worth of bounty, would have been to garuntee amnesty for the kidnappers, perhaps with counselling or something, because at least there'd actually be a decent chance in seeing her safe return.

The irony of this whole thing is that the absolutely stupid scale of this 'search', and the global media frenzy, will have done nothing but to make the kidnappers panic and act irrationally. As has already been mentioned, it would have only lasted a few days in the media cycle if 'madee' was a working class kid. Much like the Sherridan sex scandals of last year, it's been whipped up for far too long, and is starting to grate at my patience.

The worst thing is how at ease the McCann's now seem to be with the media - all the publicity stunts, such as the wearing of ribbons in the mother's hair is just sickening. I also suspect that the trust fund they set up is more to cater to the parents needs than "Maddie's" - after all, lawyers don't come cheap if you're using them to keep your name constantly in the spotlight.

What doesn't surprise me is that not once have the McCann's said that they made a mistake in leaving her alone - which is breathtakingly arrogant if nothing else.

I also notice that they are now "devout catholics" - when before, little was said about their religion. If they were as devout as they say, surely the media would've picked up on it before now? Again, just seems to be shameless publicity seeking.

I feel sorry for the guy who was plastered all over the media yesterday, who appears to have been named and shamed despite no evidence actually linking him with the crime. His life will be ruined, and I suspect the McCann's won't have an ounce of sympathy for him once his name gets cleared.

On the "official website", there's a blog which gives a fascinating insight into their mindset - particularly the part where they're planning each day in advance. It seems pretty obvious that the media has been manipulated by the McCann's - and I suspect once they stop being of interest, we'll start seeing more and more blatant publicity seeking from them.

After recently becoming a father myself, I find the concept of leaving kids alone in a hotel room abroad whilst the parents eat in a restaurant slightly strange. I saw folk being interviewed on the news the other day talking as if it was the most natural thing in the world to do and perhaps it used to be, but given the high profile of the paedophile networks these days, you would think folk would be less naive. Maybe it's just the way I think but my son wouldn't be left alone, sleeping or not.

Agreed. I'm not a parent myself, but common sense intervenes. You are right enough about paedophile rings etc and child abductions, however, on a more simple note, the McCanns also left a set of very young twins sleeping. It takes less than 3 minutes for a two year old to choke. Children of that age need to have a constant eye on them, they require constant care. I admit it may be easy to get carried away and have your inhibitions lowered by a holiday atmosphere, but these people are meant to be intelligent.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Sadly I agree. If the parents put 5% of the effort they've put into this OTT campaign (meeting the pope... wtf?) into looking after their children then she wouldn't be missing in the first place.

Agree 100% meeting the Pope was the final straw for me, it's the closest I've ever come to shouting at the telly outwith football. Compare this with Ben Needham's mum, who you might have seen on the box recently (only briefly, she's not a media whore like that hatchet-faced bourgeois Kate McCann muppet). Her son's been missing for 16 years now, and she's still searching for him, but doing it quietly and with something that the McCann's lost a long time ago, dignity.

I am beginning to detest Kate McCann with a passion and I don't give a shit if that's acceptable or not. I hope her other two get taken into care on principle. Using the disappearance of your own child to try and become a celebrity is fucking disgusting.

blimey i'd forgotten about ben needham!!! info here from wiki.... Disappearance of Ben Needham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i am absolutely appaled the way this case has turned into a media circus and like jake i too am beginning to hate Kate McCann with a passion. going to see the pope? wtf!!! sadly the child is probably dead thats the reality of it or it could be another ben needham case.

whats sickening is all the band wagon jumping by the no bodys on myspace with her picture on their profile feebaly trying to make themselves see like they give a shit. None of you actually care you just want to look cool.

As for the family i dont blame it all on them, the british media has a great way of overblowing everything so long as its to do with one of our own people. I doubt they will find her now, i dearly hope they do but i just dont believe it now.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
whats sickening is all the band wagon jumping by the no bodys on myspace with her picture on their profile feebaly trying to make themselves see like they give a shit. None of you actually care you just want to look cool.

true dat. people are so brain-dead that they are willing to even pretend that it is in some way beneficial to have her face plastered up on their myspace profiles. as if this little girl deserves any more sympathy than the millions of children who meet similar or worse fates every year.

Up until I was into my teens I was never left without some sort of supervision - this is even considering the crime level of the area I grew up in was zip. If my parents went out to dinner a family friend came to babysit. If my parents were out for a full day my brother and I would either go to a friends or someone would come round. I could only play in the fields within site of my house and I could only cycle as far up the road as the view from our upstairs window would allow. It remained that way until my older brother (3 years my senior) was old enough to keep an eye out for me.

When I was very young I slept with my door open and my parents slept with their door open - they were across the hall - so they could hear anything going on in my brother's room or my own. To me... that's all normal. My parents weren't particularly OTT, they just took sensible measures to make sure they knew where we were and that we were safe at all times (as I assume any parent would).

The idea of leaving such a small infant alone is insanity in my eyes. I just can't understand it.

i was left alone from about the age 12 when my folks went out, was allowed to play where i thought was safe ect, same as my friends, nothing ever happened to us, but then this is a different age now.

My Mrs was saying that things like this happen all the time in the Phillipines. The difference is that they can't even afford a flight to go and visit the Pope.

Interestingly, someone claimed on the BBC news website that Kate McCann disrespected the Pope by not covering her head. Anyone here know if that's true?

The fact that the McCann's are still happy to leave their kids with other people while they swan off doing their own thing is absolutely shocking though - and just shows that they're rather enjoying all the publicity. I could respect them if they made a point of going round Europe, raising awareness of kids going missing and pushing for stronger links between countries - but what they're doing is nothing short of publicity hungry nonsense.

Found an absolutely priceless comment on there, though...

The thing that I feel should be addressed is the amount of registered sex offender being allowed out of the UK on holiday.

I don't agree that registered sex offenders should be allowed out of of the country to go to peadophile resorts, to pray on vulnerable children.

Part of sex offenders punishment should that they loose their passports.

Paedophile resorts? :laughing:

You can speculate, but you're only reading what the media is throwing at you.

I find it hard to believe that the girls family are actually publicity seeking monsters o_O

Well, if they weren't interested in the publicity, wouldn't they have made a public appeal to simply be left alone? And let's not forget the endless media whoring, such as giving press conferences and releasing statements - if they weren't interested in the publicity, would they do such a thing? And let's not forget the plans to tour round Europe - again, if they weren't interested in the publicity, why would they bother leaving Portugal?

Well, if they weren't interested in the publicity, wouldn't they have made a public appeal to simply be left alone? And let's not forget the endless media whoring, such as giving press conferences and releasing statements - if they weren't interested in the publicity, would they do such a thing? And let's not forget the plans to tour round Europe - again, if they weren't interested in the publicity, why would they bother leaving Portugal?

I'm not disagreeing with you man... they haven't handled it perfectly, and visiting the Pope wouldn't be on my list of priorities, but if I unquestionabley believed in some allmighty God, I'd definately be doing all I could to get through to him.

It's easy enough to make a journey around a part of the world sound kinda fun by using phrases like 'the plans to tour around Europe', but they are after all searching for their daughter, or at very least closure.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i am absolutely appaled the way this case has turned into a media circus and like jake i too am beginning to hate Kate McCann with a passion. going to see the pope? wtf!!!

Word has it she's turning Buddhist next week, she heard the Dalai Lama's got a spare 5 minutes.........

You can speculate, but you're only reading what the media is throwing at you.

I find it hard to believe that the girls family are actually publicity seeking monsters o_O

They absolutely are seeking publicity - that's the whole point. Their theory is that the child will only be found if as many people as possible know that she is missing, and know what she looks like. The fact is that Ben Needham may well have been seen by thousands of people without them knowing it. The McCanns just want to make sure that doesn't happen. What we're getting from the media is exactly what the McCanns - or rather their PR people - want the media to report. They have the tour company's top PR person, as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office's media liaison officer on board to get as much press as they possibly can. I don't think they're necessarily seeking attention for themselves, it's their strategy to try and get their daughter back.

Not defending them too much though - they've obviously taken it way too far now. They simply don't deserve the kind of assistance that they're getting. As others have said, children go missing all the time - usually through no fault of the parents - but no-one else gets this kind of fuss made. It's pretty much time for them to accept that their daughter may be gone forever, to a large extent it's their own fault, and just try to live with that as best they can. The rest of the world have done more than enough to help them correct their mistake, we need to move on to more deserving causes.

I’m not Mother but hypothetically… if I had several children and lost one I’d be spending as much time as physically possible with my other children. I thought it was odd from the start that you barely see them with their other children (who are still very young) with the exception of one or two occasion at the start of the campaign. I think they are enjoying the spotlight a little too much.

I recall watching an interview them last week and the following quote turned my stomach, “If we’d been in the next room we’d be feeling as guilty”. Clearly they are completely oblivious to the fact they have 1) Completely neglected their child 2) Potentially broken the law by leaving very young children completely unsupervised. If a working class single mother had done this the media would be screaming, “neglect” and she’d be up in court.

Anyone remember Terry Waite?

It was the same deal with him.

Hostage for 5 years (I think?) and on release did he go straight to his family?

Did he fuck!

Press conference after press conference after chat show after interview. I think it was DAYS before he was actually physically reunited with his family.

And what a pompous are he was in public too.

It is sad though, that this couple have suffered the worst possble thing to happen to a parent - the loss of a child - and seem somehow to have got seduced by the media glare and attention in the same manner which all those pathetic Big Brother/Reality/Game Show morons have - and as a result, are turning the rest of us off.

Shame.

I agree with what Frosty said. They are correctly trying to get publicity but are taking it too far.

The McCann "blog" gives a day to day account of what they are up to. His wife goes running etc etc. I dont know how she can try and maintain a normal life, I would be puking with worry.