aberdeen-music

Blankest Year EP now on sale!

Blankest Year are a 3 piece alternative rock band from Aberdeen. Their influences include Idlewild and Biffy Clyro.

Formed in Winter 2006, Blankest Year have played a few gigs around Aberdeen and have just recorded their first CD, thoughts don't move, which is on sale now for 4.

The CD consisting of 6 songs can be purchaced from One Up in Aberdeen or on the bands website at:

Blankest Year - Home

view.php?pic=4u9mcgm

Thank you

yeah, it was the drums which are the part which arent recorded the best, i dont mean to be a dick if I come across as being one. The drums just dont sound good, maybe net time, spend a little more time on the drum sounds, as esseantially, they are what keeps your song driving forward.

It may be a decent first attempt at a recording if the drums were better.

:up:

well exile can be really hit or miss. If mark is 'into' your sound, then you will definately get good results, but if not, then it usually tends to be fairly poor.

But in saying that I haven't been to Exile studios since he moved a few years ago. I guess the tracks he has recorded speak for themselves. I know the Allstationsdown stuff came out well, as did the retreat stuff. Maybe check out his myspace page.

How much would your budget be?

It really depends, I suppose we've just recorded this as a demo or a stepping stone to getting gigs, letting venues/ promoters hear us. We'll see what people think and get back to recording more tunes after we have played more gigs etc.

Do you know any good promoters around Aberdeen and is the best way of getting gigs just handing in our CD to venues?

Thanks

Glenn x

yeah, that would be the best way I guess, failing that, just make good chat with promoters and you will be sorted, thats how my band got our first gigs, just from having good chat to the right people. And then word of mouth takes over.

All the best, be sure to let me know when you have more plans for recording.

x

Cheers for the tips, know anywhere else in Aberdeen to record? I heard Exile produces some good sounds?

thanks

x

Captain Tom's always sound good these days, as long as you know your sound before you go in you can get a really decent demo for pennies. seriously man, well worth trying a track or 2 there for the sake of 5 or 6 hours and would hardly cost you over 100.

Ciaranx

yeah, toms is capable of a decent recording considering the equipment they have and how awful the room is. the acoustics are soooo bad. You also have to know how to get a good tone from your equipment to make it sound at its best. So before you even consider using captain toms, make sure you either

a) know how to get a really good tone from the equipment you own or the equipment that is there

b)make sure you are really fucking tight to make things sound good. I have recorded a couple bands now, including my own, and the amount of differences that tight playing makes is really something. So practice lots and don't waste your money.

c)Just buy amazing equipment and take it with you. This kind of equipment records well no matter where you are.

Hope this helps to some extent.

x

yeah, toms is capable of a decent recording considering the equipment they have and how awful the room is. the acoustics are soooo bad. You also have to know how to get a good tone from your equipment to make it sound at its best. So before you even consider using captain toms, make sure you either

a) know how to get a really good tone from the equipment you own or the equipment that is there

b)make sure you are really fucking tight to make things sound good. I have recorded a couple bands now, including my own, and the amount of differences that tight playing makes is really something. So practice lots and don't waste your money.

c)Just buy amazing equipment and take it with you. This kind of equipment records well no matter where you are.

Hope this helps to some extent.

x

to be honest if you dont have at least two out of those three you are not ready to record i would say, well anything more than a demo. If you dont know your sound, dont waste money going somewhere expensive, record demo's till you get something you like then build on that. Get your band as tight as possible, tracking up is very different to playing as a band you must know your songs inside out and be able to play them without the other members there for help.

The best bit of advice i would give tho is to try a few studios before deciding on one to use properly, find somewhere your band clicks, or where you get the best feel from and an engineer you can banter with. Ive worked in enviroments that wernt like that and the results have been crap. Having a good buzz about the place is very important for the creative side of recording i think, if your happy in the studio you will want to spend as much time as you can afford to get it sounding just right, if you dont, you will rush it and waste your money.

to be honest if you dont have at least two out of those three you are not ready to record i would say, well anything more than a demo. If you dont know your sound, dont waste money going somewhere expensive, record demo's till you get something you like then build on that. Get your band as tight as possible, tracking up is very different to playing as a band you must know your songs inside out and be able to play them without the other members there for help.

The best bit of advice i would give tho is to try a few studios before deciding on one to use properly, find somewhere your band clicks, or where you get the best feel from and an engineer you can banter with. Ive worked in enviroments that wernt like that and the results have been crap. Having a good buzz about the place is very important for the creative side of recording i think, if your happy in the studio you will want to spend as much time as you can afford to get it sounding just right, if you dont, you will rush it and waste your money.

I have to concur with David. Environment is probably the most important thing about the studio. Your recordings always reflect your mood, thats why you will find that a band in thier prime record their best stuff and a band splitting up sound like a band splitting up. The last Cooper Temple Clause album is a prime example, i could see them splitting up about 4 months ago just from hearing their last record. Same goes for most bands. Get a good studio with a producer/engineer you can work well with, has a little imput, but not enough to change the direction of the song and your on to a winner. ;)

Ciaran

x