aberdeen-music

Cougar/Art Brut/Maximo Park - Music Hall

kirsten

Cougar: Fantastic. I never thought I'd be this into a band with no lyrics, but they had rhythm which is always good.

Art Brut: Loved them. Sang along to every word. Some people who didn't seem to be enjoying it next to me tried to grab their setlist, but I got it. Muahaha. Met Eddie after the show and he was just as funny as he was onstage.

Maximo Park: Second time I've seen them, but they were fantastic as well. So much energy in one small Paul Smith! I loved the fact that he was loving every minute and you could tell by how he had a massive grin on his face after every song. Lovely band.

Who else was there last night? What did you reckon?

yeah was an ace gig, never seen cougar. Art brut were amazing, played the songs i wanted to hear and were really really funny. As ever maximo were great aswell, new songs sound alot better live than they do on the album, paul smith is a legend

Yeah, Art Brut were fast becoming one of my favourite bands anyway and this was before seeing them live. After, they're definitely on that list!

The sound in the music hall was, as always, not fantastic, but I've been to worse.

I wasn't sure what to think of the rendition of (I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles, but I like how they didn't do a generic version. They made it their own and that's always good.

Maximo park at the lemon tree

this is a picture of the singer from maximo park when they played in the lemon tree two years ago supporting bloc party. MP were good then, klanky and mental. they're too slick now. i talked to them about byker grove and they all like crosby stills nash and young. good times

paulsmith.jpg

Guest bluesxman

Turned up to find Cougar already playing and was pleasantly surprised to find they were a Tortoise-ish post rock band, strange choice for Maximo Park support. Intricacies of their sound was lost in the Music Hall, the guitars got a bit muddy at points which made it sound a bit shambolic, would like to see them in a smaller venue. They veered dangerously close to some kind of jazz-funk outfit with some widdly guitar solos at one point but overall, impressed.

Art Brut. Seem to have heard the name for years without hearing them, how lucky that turns out to be. Godawful. Novelty indie at it's worst. All their songs were made to sound the same by his monotone singing, which is a shame as some of the backing vocals and guitar work sounded like it was taking a couple of songs somewhere decent but then he started again, quickly bringing it back down to earth.

I've never paid much attention to Maximo Park for some reason, although the songs I'd heard were OK. My better half likes them and has their CD's though so I managed to lay my hands on the tickets and tagged along. I thought they were pretty good, although I can't see me listening to them any more than previously - well, maybe the first album, gave it a blast the other week and liked it, second one is a bit smoother and not as good. He's an entertaining frontman and the sound towards the back left wasn't bad at all.

All in all, pretty good night. But can't believe Art Brut have a second album coming out.

Turned up to find Cougar already playing and was pleasantly surprised to find they were a Tortoise-ish post rock band, strange choice for Maximo Park support. Intricacies of their sound was lost in the Music Hall, the guitars got a bit muddy at points which made it sound a bit shambolic, would like to see them in a smaller venue. They veered dangerously close to some kind of jazz-funk outfit with some widdly guitar solos at one point but overall, impressed.

Sounds quite cool, apart from the dubious jazz funk bits. Alas, I was in the Prince of Wales watching drunk old men fall over...

I didn't go last night, and was hoping to hear some feedback on 'art brut'.

My girlfriend has ket me hear them before, and i have to say they were one of the worst things i';ve ever ehad...not music just random talentless noise, talking, and yelping like a jack russel 'we formed a band' indeed. I was of the opinion they were signed BECAUSE they are shit (pretentious arty kids think they are cool - sell records) but having read some reviews in this thread perhaps i'm wrong?! can anyone recomend something of theirs for me to listen to that may change my mind?

My girlfriend has ket me hear them before, and i have to say they were one of the worst things i';ve ever ehad...not music just random talentless noise, talking, and yelping like a jack russel 'we formed a band' indeed. I was of the opinion they were signed BECAUSE they are shit (pretentious arty kids think they are cool - sell records) but having read some reviews in this thread perhaps i'm wrong?! can anyone recomend something of theirs for me to listen to that may change my mind?

their whole debut album

Art Brut. Seem to have heard the name for years without hearing them, how lucky that turns out to be. Godawful. Novelty indie at it's worst. All their songs were made to sound the same by his monotone singing, which is a shame as some of the backing vocals and guitar work sounded like it was taking a couple of songs somewhere decent but then he started again, quickly bringing it back down to earth.

Clearly the words of somebody who likes their music po-faced with ample opportunity for chin stroking.

• Upvote 1

I can't. I did once get mistaken for someone in said band at Reading Festival and bought a drink and made to pose for photos despite proclaiming that Art Brut are shite and that sort of thing. I guess they just thought it was part of my 'indie cool'.

Guest bluesxman
Clearly the words of somebody who likes their music po-faced with ample opportunity for chin stroking.

Or perhaps just someone who actually likes music.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...