aberdeen-music

What Song you currently listening to..?

Stephen

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stripey
Which one or two people are you talking about 'cause I can think of quite a lot of people that are on here that listen to a wide variety of music or people that might not listen to a hugely varied amount but listen to bands that aren't just 'dated pop-derived music styles'. Just seems a bit unfair to tar everyone with the same brush.

Another point I think's valid is that it takes a bit of time to get into stuff that's perhaps less-mainstream or less well known. I'm not sure how old you are but my own experience is that I'm 21 now and have gone through sort of stages in that I listened to loads of rock with some hip hop and electronica as I grew up but eventually there were less rock/metal bands amazing me in the way that Faith No More and Guns 'n' Roses had and so I branched out into investigating more obscure or experimental rock bands and put more time into researching electronica and many other genres. As a result today I have a very varied CD collection and can appreciate most music that I hear if not like it all enough to listen to it at home.

The point I'm trying to make I guess is that if there was a younger poster on here that you thought had an obvious or limited music taste then in years to come they may well be branching out music-wise. Of course they might not as some people plain just don't like some genres and that's fair enough. It's personal taste dammit! :)

Fair enough I know a lot of it is about personal taste, I just think its unusual that the vast majority of people on this forum are into rock/metal/punk essentially "guitar based music".

And you are right, maybe it is because a lot of them are quite young. I just think for a music scene website, this place is pretty one-dimensional, as is the stuff I've been hearing from the local bands, it all sounds so 20th century and sonically dull. What can you do, in this day and age, with a 4 piece band, which hasnt been done a million times and done better, by other people in the last 30 years? Half the people on here have the musical tastes of their parents ffs!

That's because some things are so good it doesn't matter how old it is people still want to listen...hence why I lbuy Neil Young CDs and my parents have Neil Young vinyl.

As for the 4 piece band comment I think there's more ground yet to be coverd. The guitar as an instrument is quite limitless...and if we ever do get stuck for creative ideas then we can always plug through a synth if we feel the need.

I am sure there's plenty of people with the same tastes as you perhaps they are just not aware of the site or aren't willing to come on and discuss...Just so happens Aberdeen has a strong guitar based scene and it's well represented online.

Guest Stripey
That's because some things are so good it doesn't matter how old it is people still want to listen...hence why I lbuy Neil Young CDs and my parents have Neil Young vinyl.

As for the 4 piece band comment I think there's more ground yet to be coverd. The guitar as an instrument is quite limitless...and if we ever do get stuck for creative ideas then we can always plug through a synth if we feel the need.

I am sure there's plenty of people with the same tastes as you perhaps they are just not aware of the site or aren't willing to come on and discuss...Just so happens Aberdeen has a strong guitar based scene and it's well represented online.

Big rant here...

I'm not convinced about the idea of music with eternal appeal. Your parents probably have neil young vinyl because they bought it years ago, and became sick of it and probably never listen to it now. You will probably do the same with your cd's, but its just because you are a new human, the stuff from their generation has some appeal to you because you haven't heard it before. Personally I don't buy CD's anymore, I collected loads when I was a kid but gave most of them away a few years ago, or chucked them in the bin. I've been using mp3's for a good 5 or 6 years and I also regularly delete them and download new stuff, because no music has real lasting appeal for me in the sense that I will listen to it more than a few times a year. I like music to be transient and disposable and not precious. If I hear something I like, I'll get the mp3, listen to it a few times over a couple of weeks, then forget about it and eventually delete it.

4-piece bands : I disagree, I think they are definately archaic and played out and in my mind, they have the same status as folk bands in this day and age. There is so much potential in the new technology and ways of producing. I don't listen to music just for the melody or rhythm, I listen to it for the sound. I like hearing clever and interesting sound bending - to me, in terms of sound, rock is like a black and white drawing done in pencil, and the modern styles are like a full on widescreen technicolour dvd. (gotta slip an analogy in there somewhere heheh ;)

I think the aberdeen scene, what I've seen of it anyway, is so dull and unimaginative because people in this area lead a very sheltered existence.

But yeah, at the end of the day you are right, its down to personal taste.

I just think for a music scene website' date=' this place is pretty one-dimensional, as is the stuff I've been hearing from the local bands, it all sounds so 20th century and sonically dull. What can you do, in this day and age, with a 4 piece band, which hasnt been done a million times and done better, by other people in the last 30 years? Half the people on here have the musical tastes of their parents ffs![/quote']

I dunno man - there's been a lot of artists mentioned on here that aren't in the '4-piece band' sorta thing. Look at all the bands playing at Lemon Tree over Triptych and the interest shown there, the discussions on acts like Tweaker, Sigur Ros or Squarepusher or even the more general threads such as the one about drum 'n' bass a while ago. People like what they like indeed but if they've got the desire to do so they'll find new stuff. I just think that it'd be more productive to post threads about artists that you find interesting rather than diss people's taste :)

Everyone's different as everyone should hopefully know but I'm intrigued by your attitude to CDs now as it's in almost direct contrast to mine - I can't wait to get mp3s onto CDs as I don't particularly like listening to music that isn't mine on the PC. Also in contrast I fall in love with albums and listen to them again and again over the years. I notice things in albums that I had never noticed in my younger years now and can appreciate them slightly more. I dunno. Everyone's different but anyone who's been to my flat will have noticed my CD hoarding obsession :D

Big rant here...

But yeah' date=' at the end of the day you are right, its down to personal taste.[/quote']

Exactly. I am sure if the Aberdeen scene revolved around your music then we'd probably sitting on opposite sides of the conversation. I guess the best thing you can do is ignore what we do as you obviously don't appriciate it and concentrate on your music.

As for my parents listening to Neil Young...all their old vinyl gets listened too still. I am sure there is some young person, somewhere, right now discovering the wonders of Jimi Hendrix...picking up a guitar and starting a life time of playing. It's like classical music...the oldies are the goodies.

my chemical romance are fucking good. Skylines and turnstiles is my fave. Im listening to:

A Certain Shade Of Shade Of Gree-Incubus

8o jeeeezus-other people like mcr?! awesome :up:

skylines and turnstiles is great-awesome live,hella catchy chorus

currently listening to T.C.F.S.R. on loop-it's THAT good

track playing now is thank you for the venom,absolutely fantastic! oh aye. :up: