aberdeen-music

The View - What the f*ck is that all about

czefski

I disagree, the last few years have been like a return to the Britpop days.

Exactly.

But only because the VAST majority of Britpop was utter shite too. Even then, most of the "exceptions" were merely bunged into the Shitpop category for convenience, ie Manics, Suede and Pulp (the only good lyricists of that time - there's a shock...).

Does anyone else find it impossible to NOT sing Brimful Of Asha whenever Same Jeans comes on the radio? Thieving little runts. They stole the verse AND the chorus. Oh yes, it's easy to "write" catchy tunes when you're just stealing them off other people.

At's it noo, tack it oot on the bairns.

Truth be told, if I could have done the same when I was 19-20yrs old as to what they are doing now, it would have saved me doing a lot of shity jobs to earn a few bob.

Here's a question for you. Would you rather work in some horrible job for 40hours a week for the minimum wage, or play a few dodgy songs and get thousands?

Come to think of it, I play dodgy songs now, and get bugger all for it.?(

At's it noo, tack it oot on the bairns.

Truth be told, if I could have done the same when I was 19-20yrs old as to what they are doing now, it would have saved me doing a lot of shity jobs to earn a few bob.

Here's a question for you. Would you rather work in some horrible job for 40hours a week for the minimum wage, or play a few dodgy songs and get thousands?

Come to think of it, I play dodgy songs now, and get bugger all for it.?(

Once their music is in the public domain it's subject to criticism for what it is. How old the people who make it are, how much they earn and what they would be doing if they weren't

musicians is no excuse for churning our derivative crap.

Can I turn the attention back to the White Stripes?

I don't think there's been a song in the last year that has made me grin as broadly as 'Icky Thump': the name, the riffs, Jack's vocals...fucking perfect. I'm seriously excited about the new album.

It's not that good. It sounds a bit wanky.

It will probably grow on me though, but first impressions were fairly disappointing.

Once their music is in the public domain it's subject to criticism for what it is. How old the people who make it are, how much they earn and what they would be doing if they weren't

musicians is no excuse for churning our derivative crap.

I'm with you 100% about the crap bit.

All I was trying to say was I would have rather been playing dodgy songs and getting paid well for it, than doing what I did, which was humffin 250 boxes of smelly haddock on the tables for 15 skirling fish wifies 6 days a week for a rubbish wage.

Trust me, that WAS CRAP!

I'm with you 100% about the crap bit.

All I was trying to say was I would have rather been playing dodgy songs and getting paid well for it, than doing what I did, which was humffin 250 boxes of smelly haddock on the tables for 15 skirling fish wifies 6 days a week for a rubbish wage.

Trust me, that WAS CRAP!

Well lucky them, cos they deserve even less.

ex - fuckin - zackly!

alex turner being a sprog but a super lyrically talented sprog (apart from a couple of college poetry group type clangers and the new album)

where as the view write 100% nursery rhyme bollocks all of the time

but still not quite as bad as razorlight like - nothing ever will be

kinda makes one realise what an awful downward spiral british indie guitar music is in

Definite sprog. But super lyrically talented? Really? He strings together some nice wee lines about real life in a vaguely clever fashion, sure, but he's hardly a poet laureate. I can think of a gazillion people who write better.

But, then again, compared to The View et al he does come across as a bit of a lyrical hero.

And yes, agreed, Razorlight are abysmal

Can I turn the attention back to the White Stripes?

I don't think there's been a song in the last year that has made me grin as broadly as 'Icky Thump': the name, the riffs, Jack's vocals...fucking perfect. I'm seriously excited about the new album.

It's certainly a tune.

Incidentally, is "Metarie" a Brendan Benson reference, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Ah, that'll explain a mate of mine's obsession with The Fratellis, he's a fanatical Celtic fan. He wasn't best pleased when I told him a few months ago how dire they were, citing the 'Duh duh-duh-duh' chorus in that song of theirs (don't know the name, sorry) as being a case point how bad they truly are. Songs tailor-made for Neanderthal lunk heads who find remembering proper lyrics when pissed too taxing. And as for The View....

I love the irony in that statement...

the Fratellis are shite like, I totally agree there.

Guest idol_wild
I like The Fratellis. I don't see anyone on this board writing anything so catchy.

That's because you never go to any gigs involving most of the bands on these boards.

I think 'The Don' is a great pop tune, and personally, who gives a sh1te if it sounds really simple. It 's a great wee story, a reflection of their lives growing up. You've got to remember where these boys come from etc. Music has given them a way out, and I personally think it's cool as fook. I'm as harsh a music critic as the next man, but hats off to them I say - (no pun intended!). Saw them in the tent at T last year, it was the most mental half an hour of the weekend. Selling out venues and touring with ace bands or working for a living? Know what I'd rather do..........

I think 'The Don' is a great pop tune, and personally, who gives a sh1te if it sounds really simple. It 's a great wee story, a reflection of their lives growing up. You've got to remember where these boys come from etc. Music has given them a way out, and I personally think it's cool as fook. I'm as harsh a music critic as the next man, but hats off to them I say - (no pun intended!). Saw them in the tent at T last year, it was the most mental half an hour of the weekend. Selling out venues and touring with ace bands or working for a living? Know what I'd rather do..........

You could say they reflect where they come from, but other than the use of placenames and stuff it's no different to the heroes of meat n' potatos lad rock that aspire to, like Oasis. They don't respresent any real regional variation on the old "we're working class and gritty, and write choons for the dustbin men to whistle, and like getting drunk and high etc" approach to indie-rock.