aberdeen-music

The View - What the f*ck is that all about

czefski

Whilst waiting to hear the new White Stripes single on Zane Lowe's show last week, I had the misfortune to have to endure 'The Don' by The View. I thought I was listening to a really bad cover of 'When I'm Cleaning Windows' by George Formby, or the banjo playing character from the Fast Show that sometimes appeared with Arthur Atkinson, although I'm probably doing both the aforementined a dis-service.

It's the same with the Fratellis. My contention if a song can be used as a goal celebration then it's clearly sh*te.

White Stripes single was/is very good btw.

It's the same with the Fratellis. My contention if a song can be used as a goal celebration then it's clearly sh*te.

That hacked me off when Fratelli's was used to celebrate Scotland's last minute goal against Georgia. Let the crowd decide what they want to sing- "we'll be coming...", etc etc

I mean, its used by every bloody club in the land. Celtic use it for every goal apparently.

'The Don' by The View. I thought I was listening to a really bad cover of 'When I'm Cleaning Windows' by George Formby.

im glad someone else thought that.....

the view are a fucking awful band in the same league of unfathomable shite as Razorlight

The White Stripes nu single however.....:love:

Guest bluesxman
Celtic use it for every goal apparently.

Ah, that'll explain a mate of mine's obsession with The Fratellis, he's a fanatical Celtic fan. He wasn't best pleased when I told him a few months ago how dire they were, citing the 'Duh duh-duh-duh' chorus in that song of theirs (don't know the name, sorry) as being a case point how bad they truly are. Songs tailor-made for Neanderthal lunk heads who find remembering proper lyrics when pissed too taxing. And as for The View....

I like The Fratellis. I don't see anyone on this board writing anything so catchy.

I originally disliked The View. After listening to their album they've got some good songs too...in particular Wasteland and Comin' Down (even though it sounds like they nicked it from the Monkees "Goin Down" which I also must add is fantastic).

The thing that puts me off those bands is their audience. I would hate to see either of those bands in Scotland now (or anywhere in the UK) for that matter because so many of their fans are idiots.

The chorus of Chelsea dagger is based upon the groan of a caveman "duuuuh duh duh" it's no more clever than the fucking crazy frog's, "ding ding ding".I find them both catchy in the same way... and by that I mean that I feel sick to the core when I hear either.

That's a bit harsh.

I personally don't mind the Fratellis too much. There is obviously a lot better but they're not bad at all. Write simple, harmless and catchy songs. Nothing wrong with that. Although saying that the singer's voice is quite annoying.

The View, however are a bit rubbish. In my opinion they are a poor man's Libertinesand 'The Don' sounds like something a 15 year old would write.

The new Whitestripes song is surprisingly good.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

utter nonsense, they were all born in 1987 as far as i know, making them 19/20 years old...a year younger than alex turner for comparison?

Ah, that'll explain a mate of mine's obsession with The Fratellis, he's a fanatical Celtic fan. He wasn't best pleased when I told him a few months ago how dire they were, citing the 'Duh duh-duh-duh' chorus in that song of theirs (don't know the name, sorry) as being a case point how bad they truly are. Songs tailor-made for Neanderthal lunk heads who find remembering proper lyrics when pissed too taxing. And as for The View....

Can't be arsed if I'm wrong but I think that's Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis (curses, I'm giving them proper noun status) which is ironic because the majority of Celtic fans - the ones with any sense anyway - despise Chelsea and anything associated with Chelsea with a vengeance.

The Fratellis make my blood boil, every fucking thick skulled idiot in the land loves them - let alone brainless, conceited she-creatures with hiiiiillllaaarrriiiooousss big sunglasses and leggings. I tried to give The View a chance and again, complete and utter piss.

Every moron at my work adores both of the above. Urrrrgh.

Lester B, I ccan both empathise and sympathise. One of the girls in my department gave me a blast of The View which I listened to for benefit of the doubt. Complete crinkly scrote IMHO.

Ho you ya dobber, The Fratellis are pure dead brilliant by the way but!

Gonnae buy us a bottle o ginger, big man? Shite - I smell soap! Better get tae fuck...

utter nonsense, they were all born in 1987 as far as i know, making them 19/20 years old...a year younger than alex turner for comparison?

ex - fuckin - zackly!

alex turner being a sprog but a super lyrically talented sprog (apart from a couple of college poetry group type clangers and the new album)

where as the view write 100% nursery rhyme bollocks all of the time

but still not quite as bad as razorlight like - nothing ever will be

kinda makes one realise what an awful downward spiral british indie guitar music is in

let alone brainless, conceited she-creatures with hiiiiillllaaarrriiiooousss big sunglasses and leggings. I tried to give The View a chance and again, complete and utter piss.

Girls (or men) wearing leggings in public should be shot on sight. Troops should be brought back from the pointless wars in Iraq and Afganstanistan to do something of much more benefit to the nation.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Ah, but maybe the song was written when they were 15?

Unlikely, considering that Wikipedia lists them as being active for 2 years and that they started out as a cover band...how things have changed!

kinda makes one realise what an awful downward spiral british indie guitar music is in

I disagree, the last few years have been like a return to the Britpop days. There is a lot of great guitar bands all around the country, not necesarily the ones in the charts but they are definitely there.

I disagree, the last few years have been like a return to the Britpop days. There is a lot of great guitar bands all around the country, not necesarily the ones in the charts but they are definitely there.

Underground indie being in good shape is not a renaissance of the Britpop era

The current state of the charts housing insiply awful british guitar bands like razorlight, the fratellis, the view, snow patrol, kaiser cheifs etc hardly bears comparison to the time when the verve, blur, suede, oasis, pulp, elastica etc ruled the airwaves and charts does it?

Im not saying ''then was better than now'' cos in general terms it wasnt.....but the popularity of the british indie scene most definately was very much higher back then, mainly due to the reasonable* quality of it

if theres good indie stuff hiding underground then great, but until its widely successful its not really a new age of Britpop is it?

I can only think of two good indie british bands regularly charting now and thats the Artic Monkeys and the Klaxons

Decent Indie from the UK is possibly on the way to becoming totally removed / marginalised from the mainstream (just like Metal did in the 90s) becoming a niche category - while samey cheesy anthem indie takes over *shudder*

..it will however help to sell more cars/cider/tampons

*opinion of the wider public - not my own

That hacked me off when Fratelli's was used to celebrate Scotland's last minute goal against Georgia. Let the crowd decide what they want to sing- "we'll be coming...", etc etc

I mean, its used by every bloody club in the land. Celtic use it for every goal apparently.

Hear Hear! I was at that game and between the Shitellis and Runrig at half-time I felt completely alienated. I'm a Celtic fan too, but unlike the guy mentioned previously, for me the playing of the duh duh duh duh song is completely off-putting - get your act together Celtic and let the people sing.

That View song is stinking right enough - it and Same Jeans have been the two biggest radio turn-off songs for me of the last year.