aberdeen-music

The joys of amature music journalism...

Old Gold

[i wouldn't normally try and be so petty and pedantic regarding poor use of english, it's just that it only seems fair, given the nature of this thread.]

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

I was only trying to point out that their writing style was poor and I didn't think the articles structure were very good. Which I think is a fair comment and I cleared that up in my last post. I would expect the spelling to be okay in any article. So I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to what I stated above.

I didn't read over my post before I posted it. I've become used to typing on MSN, when I just use "there" for all meanings of "there", "their" and "They're". Purely because I am lazy. :up:

www.myspace.com/unpluggedmagazine

I'm not really sure why it's called 'unplugged', although possibley because the articles on display contain about as much literary prowess as an old man on a switched off life support machine. It's not even the chosen genre that bothers me. It's mainly the ratio of hillarious sense of self importance to writing ability.

So where's your work, then?

Stop trying to pander to people, it's not big and it's not funny.

As for the webzine? Sure, the English might be a bit dodgy, but it looks like they're actually trying to cover the whole of the country. Well worth doing, and I'm sure if they stick at it, it'll get better in time. But instead of criticising it, why don't the experts start contributing to it?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Awesome argument dickhead - after all, nobody has the right to an opinion on something unless they themselves are capable of something better. Try this: Proton make shitty cars, but I myself could not single handedly engineer and hand build a superior automobile...do I have to bow down and praise their notoriously crappy vehicles which often recieve 1 and 2 star reviews on this basis? How do music magazines employ staff to review bands? They'd have to be capable of producing a 'better' CD single handedly before they could even consider forming an opinion if your drooling retort is to be believed. Face facts, this 'journalism' is pathetic, the spelling is a joke and barely meets primary-school level, the content is meaningless and offers nothing to anybody. Just because you want to be good at something doesn't mean that people have to take it seriously, and this is not doing any favours for themselves, the bands, or any 'scene'.

• Upvote 2

Stop trying to pander to people, it's not big and it's not funny.

As for the webzine? Sure, the English might be a bit dodgy, but it looks like they're actually trying to cover the whole of the country. Well worth doing, and I'm sure if they stick at it, it'll get better in time. But instead of criticising it, why don't the experts start contributing to it?

I write essays for my english literature course all the time. It's not really relevant, but I do know what good writing is.

My problem with this is from the perspective of a reader. I'm not taking a chubby over how it affects 'the scene' or anything... I just think it's genuinley funny that this came from the magazine that claims itself to be 'Scotland No1' ' :love:

"It is as if these young 30 year olds actually want us to cry with our deepest tears as these songs are too hard to come by in an era of long fringed young drunks who only give us one thing to listen to."

There are more useful reviews written in the Tunnels toilet cubicles.

Someone has written Genevieve on the inside of the left hand cubicle in the gents in the Tunnels and fucking spelled it wrong. I'm all for casual graffiti, but spelling is crucial.

Best bits of toilet graffiti i have ever seen were a cartoon penguin in the Tunnels and the line "Charlie Hungerford is your luminous god" in the Exodus gents before the refurb.

Best bits of toilet graffiti i have ever seen were a cartoon penguin in the Tunnels and the line "Charlie Hungerford is your luminous god" in the Exodus gents before the refurb.

Best piece of bog writings I've ever seen was a small brown smear on the wall, with an arrow pointing towards it, then the line:

'How's My Shitting? Call <mobilenumber>!'

Is this off-topic? Ah well, nae luck.