aberdeen-music

The joys of amature music journalism...

Old Gold

The joys of amateur music journalism...

www.myspace.com/unpluggedmagazine

I'm not really sure why it's called 'unplugged', although possibley because the articles on display contain about as much literary prowess as an old man on a switched off life support machine. It's not even the chosen genre that bothers me. It's mainly the ratio of hillarious sense of self importance to writing ability.

Thank you Mr Maxwell for bringing this to the worlds attention... I think 8-)

All to them for actually doing something like this.But its really not that good and the bands they have chosen in my eyes arent very good, and neither is the delivery.

Least they are trying something though.

If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right. There are more useful reviews written in the Tunnels toilet cubicles.

If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right. There are more useful reviews written in the Tunnels toilet cubicles.

I'd say they're on a par....

"Libertines are ace" (scored out)

"Libertines are shit"

"Pete Doherty is a Junkie f**k"

I think it also says something about Peter Cech, Chelsea goalkeeper, being a junkie f**k?

I clearly spend too much time in the Tunnels.

If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

To be honest, regardless of how bad the reviews might be that's a pretty bad attitude to have. (I'm not sticking up for them because they gave us a good review, which in a lot of places I actually disagreed with - still very nice of them, though I have no idea who they are).

Remember when you'd just picked up a guitar for the first time or attempted to write your first song, or even tried to drive a car for the first time (assuming you have)? I bet you were bollocks at all three... I know I was. That's not reason to give up, especially if it's something that they enjoy doing and aren't forcing down your throat. You don't have to read it.

If they were parading around on here claiming to be brilliant, or in 3 years time they are still going and terrible, then maybe have a dig at them. But for the time being I'd rather see a bunch of kids who are into music try and do something constructive - no matter how illiterately - rather than pretend to be in a band only has a cliched name, and will never see the light of day.

i would say it was a case of blind leading the blind though, bands like YOUR F3ARS are portrayed like big shots, when in essence they are a bunch of kids on myspace

aaa "tour" laminate passes for backstage at chambers in dundee, "tour" sponsors LOLZER!!!

i dont really care about them (both magazine/band) and what they attempt to do, but it doesnt mean that people cant have an opinion on it

To be honest, regardless of how bad the reviews might be that's a pretty bad attitude to have. (I'm not sticking up for them because they gave us a good review, which in a lot of places I actually disagreed with - still very nice of them, though I have no idea who they are).

Remember when you'd just picked up a guitar for the first time or attempted to write your first song, or even tried to drive a car for the first time (assuming you have)? I bet you were bollocks at all three... I know I was. That's not reason to give up, especially if it's something that they enjoy doing and aren't forcing down your throat. You don't have to read it.

If they were parading around on here claiming to be brilliant, or in 3 years time they are still going and terrible, then maybe have a dig at them. But for the time being I'd rather see a bunch of kids who are into music try and do something constructive - no matter how illiterately - rather than pretend to be in a band only has a cliched name, and will never see the light of day.

I know it's harsh criticism, but the writing is seriously, seriously bad. As for claiming to be brilliant, they label themselves as the Number 1 Scottish Music magazine or something along those lines. That seems quite big headed, especially when matched with their appalling write ups.

Regarding your point on me picking up guitar or learning to drive: these kids have been learning to write since they started school. They should be embarassed, and certainly not claiming to be numer one :p

I know it's harsh criticism, but the writing is seriously, seriously bad. As for claiming to be brilliant, they label themselves as the Number 1 Scottish Music magazine or something along those lines. That seems quite big headed, especially when matched with their appalling write ups.

Regarding your point on me picking up guitar or learning to drive: these kids have been learning to write since they started school. They should be embarassed, and certainly not claiming to be numer one :p

Mate, don't get me started on appalling spelling... I hate it, yet due to the text message generation I have come to naturally expect 90% of the people under the age of 18 to be partially illiterate.

EDIT: yes, I originally misspelled 'illiterate' :D

i would say it was a case of blind leading the blind though, bands like YOUR F3ARS are portrayed like big shots, when in essence they are a bunch of kids on myspace

aaa "tour" laminate passes for backstage at chambers in dundee, "tour" sponsors LOLZER!!!

I'm not going to defend any band (other than my own, if need be ;) )

But I know what you're getting at with the above.

they label themselves as the Number 1 Scottish Music magazine or something along those lines. That seems quite big headed, especially when matched with their appalling write ups.
Sounds Like: a damn good magazine!!

There not exactly humble are they?

Also, some of the writing is just... well. Example. The first sentance in one of there reviews...

Excellent only proceeds to better with this album.

What does that even mean? o_O

Haha, that's alright. I misspelled 'Amateur'.

At least we can both appreciate irony :up:

There not exactly humble are they?

Also, some of the writing is just... well. Example. The first sentance in one of there reviews...

What does that even mean? o_O

Fucking hell.

Kettles and pots mate.

It's "They're", not "there". Also it is spelled "sentence" rather than "sentance". Furthermore, it's "their" rather than "there".

Lastly, this is not very good use of the english language: "Also, some of the writing is just... well."

So before you judge others....

Have to agree with Dan, there is a lot of pot/kettling going on here. OK the writing is not entirely professional, but at least they're getting off their behinds and producing something.

I don't think it's that bad really, and who knows how much it will improve in the next while. Would be a shame if they packed it in because they got nothing but ridicule from folks who've never even tried anything like it...

Fucking hell.

Kettles and pots mate.

It's "They're", not "there". Also it is spelled "sentence" rather than "sentance". Furthermore, it's "their" rather than "there".

Lastly, this is not very good use of the english language: "Also, some of the writing is just... well."

So before you judge others....

I don't believe I mentioned spelling. Also most of those are what are technically called typo's. Theirs is the "number one magazine". Surely they have an editor and actually read over it before they post it. I however do not. So I apologise for my shitty typing. I'll go hire an editor just for you....

My bad spelling aside, you could still tell what I was trying to say. The problem I was trying to point out was how their articles don't really read very well. They're just not very well structured.

My bad spelling aside, you could still tell what I was trying to say. The problem I was trying to point out was how their articles don't really read very well. They're just not very well structured.

And surely you can see what I was trying to say:

Person (you) criticises someone about their use of english with a 2-sentence post that is riddled with errors.

I Also most of those are what are technically called typo's.

Technically... no. A typo is a typing error along the lines of 'teh' or 'fro', i.e. a completely accidental mistake. Whereas you spelled the word "there" correctly, but the wrong version of it, on two separate occasions and in 2 different contexts.

I don't believe I mentioned spelling.

To my eyes, it seemed you were pointing out their bad english in general rather than a particular aspect of it.

I'll go hire an editor just for you....

You don't need an editor to know that it would be wise to at least have a brief check over your posts if you are going to criticise someone regarding their poor grasp of english.

[i wouldn't normally try and be so petty and pedantic regarding poor use of english, it's just that it only seems fair, given the nature of this thread.]