aberdeen-music

Buying a new 7 string/baritone guitar?

Hog

Im going to be buying a guitar in the next couple of weeks. Looking to play in G.

Jimmer 106 aka Angel of Death recommended a Baritone ESP although Im rather drawn to the Stephen Carpenter black 7 stringer or the natural finish version with EMG's.

Any other thoughts regarding decent 7 stringer's baritones...even Ebay deals. I would simply like something that can handle going to G and staying in G. Also it has to sound heavy as fuck.

6 string baritones are an option but I like 7 because I come out with really weird chords.

Im going to be buying a guitar in the next couple of weeks. Looking to play in G.

Jimmer 106 aka Angel of Death recommended a Baritone ESP although Im rather drawn to the Stephen Carpenter black 7 stringer or the natural finish version with EMG's.

Any other thoughts regarding decent 7 stringer's baritones...even Ebay deals. I would simply like something that can handle going to G and staying in G. Also it has to sound heavy as fuck.

6 string baritones are an option but I like 7 because I come out with really weird chords.

I think you should learn to play before you splash out on some decent gear that will be neglected with devin townsend kerrap :up:

Yep, that looks very metal Dusty.

Hahahahahahaha.

Anyway yeah, go for the ESP LTD R2D2 with the 6 foot ivory neck, see-thru bridge, tremolo strings, whammy snickers bar, double EMG super-pro-humbummers, 3d digalogue subspace selector switch and a Warhammer finish. It'll tune to Drop Z and stay there.

Low string tuned to G? I think this is too low, even for the stuff you play. Leave some room for your bass player.

Playing weird chords wtih strange tunings? I never fail to play weird chords in standard.

I own an Ibanez RG7620. It is a good guitar, nothing wrong with basswood, i think you might get on with it quite well. Basswood has a bit less low end than alder or mahogony which is probably a good thing concidering you are going to be taking up too much of the frequency spectrum already.

If you want to tune that low you are going to need to use like guage 60 for the lowest string or else it will be too loose. You may also have significant problems with a trem, i.e tiny movements on your lowest string are going to set everything out.

I would opt for something with a fixed bridge like the Schecter.

Angel of Deaths suggestion is also reasonable. I do think however tuning as low as G is a bad idea unless you plan to be a 1 man band.

Low string tuned to G? I think this is too low, even for the stuff you play. Leave some room for your bass player.

Playing weird chords wtih strange tunings? I never fail to play weird chords in standard.

I own an Ibanez RG7620. It is a good guitar, nothing wrong with basswood, i think you might get on with it quite well. Basswood has a bit less low end than alder or mahogony which is probably a good thing concidering you are going to be taking up too much of the frequency spectrum already.

If you want to tune that low you are going to need to use like guage 60 for the lowest string or else it will be too loose. You may also have significant problems with a trem, i.e tiny movements on your lowest string are going to set everything out.

I would opt for something with a fixed bridge like the Schecter.

Angel of Deaths suggestion is also reasonable. I do think however tuning as low as G is a bad idea unless you plan to be a 1 man band.

Or failing that, be like meshuggah and sack your bass player because you don't need him anymore.

On another note, just because you tune to G doesn't mean that you need to play in G all the time, but it does give you that option of going that low when you need it.

I'm not planning on going that low anytime soon, but wrote a few polymetric ideas in G yesterday and it sounds wicked. However, you have to write tight rhythmic ideas and play them accurately otherwise it will just sound like an muddy mess.

Listen to 'Nightmare' by cryforsilence and tell me that there's no room for the bass in this song? (particularly at 1:55)

www.myspace.com/cryforsilence

(think they tune to G#, but alex plays 8 string blackmachines)

Yep, that was really good.

I do think that G works, but as Dan correctly pointed out, only if its used properly.

Regarding weird chords, maybe not weird but..em..stretchy. Dunno, I just seem to prefer writing with 7 strings. Standard tuning is limiting (for me)