aberdeen-music

[GIG] Triptych 07: Micah P Hinson + Califone + Grant Campbell @ The Tunnels

Jamie

Micah P Hinson

Micah P Hinson is 105. Sure, he claims to be a 23-year-old Texan troubadour who just happens to sing like a bourbon-scorched grandpa, but this is the direct result of pact he made with a black witch back in the days of The Alamo.

But fear not his brilliant Dorian Gray disguise, for Hinson is a formidable master of forceful song-craft and forlorn delivery: he is truly hair-raising live. His raggle-taggle festive and elegiac ranch canticles were first evinced on 2004s straggly missive And The Gospel Of Progress; and further identified on 2005s early-work compendium, The Baby And The Satellite.

His current album, And The Opera Circuit, is a rasping, harmonious communiqu. Its a welcome reminder that Micah P Hinson is a unique and vital virtuoso: hes the youngest, rustiest pop immortal on the block.

Califone

Charting an argent aural trajectory that spans post-rock, American folk, out-jazz, lazy blues, grizzly electronica and the variegated gains of Throbbing Gristle, Captain Beefheart and Psychic TV, Chicagos Califone arose from the ashes of helmsman Tim Rutilis Red Red Meat in 1998: their quiet ascendance has yet to abate.

The dulcet quartets latest (fourth) album, Roots and Crowns (Thrill Jockey), has been widely acclaimed as their finest to date, and little wonder: its a charming, balmy, enlivening ode to kittens, insects, valentines, orchids; its a lyrical, literate, amber hybrid of folk and electronic; jarring and melodic; modern and nostalgic; rural and mechanical. It is wonderful.

Grant Campbell

Urban cowboy and brambly folk Romeo Grant Campbell is possessed of a gravelly, staggering voice that belies his local roots and meagre years. Recalling Micah P Hinson and Bruce Springsteen, Campbells burnished alt-folk arias and gruff, unadorned lullabies are gentle, heart-rending: remarkable.

http://www.triptychfestival.com

Micah played for two and a half hours, and my attention didn't wander for one second. Apart from the point when some geezer shouted at another chap 'to shut up or fuck off' bang on a quiet bit and then some minutes later seemed to throw himself out. I don't think the guy he shouted at was actually chatting either. Made me giggle, then striaght back to the music.

Fantastic music and the sound was spot on, as was the audience:up: :up:

Micah played for two and a half hours, and my attention didn't wander for one second. Apart from the point when some geezer shouted at another chap 'to shut up or fuck off' bang on a quiet bit and then some minutes later seemed to throw himself out. I don't think the guy he shouted at was actually chatting either. Made me giggle, then striaght back to the music.

Fantastic music and the sound was spot on, as was the audience:up: :up:

Perfect gig. As you say the sound was spot on and the audience were hanging on his every word. Best gig I've ever seen at the Tunnels. Was speaking to Micah after the gig, really nice bloke too.

Grant Campbell was good, great voice and amazing guitar player.

I thought Califone were total pish. Boring, crap, pretentious, nothing to grab on to in their "songs".

genius

micah p is a genius. you could not ask for a better set of his own material and a interpol cover thrown in as well! Many of the songs i have never heard before, despite owning everything he has released but that's no bad thing.

califone like there cds were interesting and had inspirational moments but maybe went on a bit too long. the crowd were noisey which either is a sign that people are rude and don't care about supports or that the band were not strong enough to silence people, as Micah can do.

Grant Campbel had a good voice and a warm guitar tone but a Memphis via falkirk accent always leaves me a bit dissapointed. clearly influenced by the boss and a nice leadbelly/rory gallagher cover at the end.

good night all round

i say again. micah p hinson is a genius