aberdeen-music

Suits you sir!

Got my last suit from Slaters and the service was superb. They took their time to make sure I got something I liked and within my budget (this was pre-weight loss so it was a struggle to get something good) and were generally ace.

Not many places will spend a couple of hours with you for the sake of a 100 sale and alter it for free on the same afternoon.

I bought myself a new suit by Duffer of St George from Debenhams last month. The cut is superb and I even got 25% discount.

I think Debenham's range of suits (price-wise) is good. The guy who manages that particular section knows his stuff and he's quite happy to show you a suit that matches your budget.

My only fault that I could give slaters is that some of the assistants speak some incredible shit - one assistant kept implying my other half was the size up from what he was. They are just trying to be helpful though. Generally I hear good things and if you want help the staff will happily give you the time of day (plus the alterations). The prices are also pretty good.

The selection of "ladies" suits are absolutely crap though. I'm curious to see if I can find a decent brown suit - with a fairly bold pin-stripe - that doesn't look like it fell out a washing machine and it seems to be impossible unless I spend a small fortune at one of the designer shops. I'd happily settle for a black one under the same description but there's nothing to be found.

probably a bit pricey but try Kafka

yup, slaters are amazing :D

Unless you are a short-ass like me, in which case they aren't amazing and will happily sell you a suit that's too big for you.

Speaking of suits - does anyone know of any proper tailors in the Aberdeen area? And I'm talking about proper tailors here - people that can make tailor-made suits. Not people who just do adjustments, repairs etc.

Unless you are a short-ass like me, in which case they aren't amazing and will happily sell you a suit that's too big for you.

Speaking of suits - does anyone know of any proper tailors in the Aberdeen area? And I'm talking about proper tailors here - people that can make tailor-made suits. Not people who just do adjustments, repairs etc.

I'd also be interested in this, bought my last suit at Slaters and I was happy enough with the product and the service but the overall package wasn't enough to really hold my custom for the future.

If you've got a bit of cash to splash then Pure or Kafka do really nice suits. Pimp, Rat Pack or Classic. They should have something.

Serious cash like but a suit is for life. Maybe.

Bad suits are just bad and make people look like double glazing salesmen. Total waste of money.

Less cash to invest? Then a trip to Zara in Inverness or Glasgow will result in a much nicer than average lovely stylish suit. Nice shirts and ties too.

Zara for work. Pure/Kafka for posh.

Guest bluesxman

I got my last suit from John Lewis, guy serving there was very helpful and still works there. Wasn't all that cheap, but not horrifically expensive either, but a suit is one of the items of clothing I think it's worth splashing a bit extra on to get decent quality. Unless you just want to pose about in it in Exodus or something, then it's probably best to go cheap so that getting toxic cider spilled on it won't matter so much.

No love for good old Markies? Never let me down.

My first suit was from there. It was a really stylish navy blue with a feint pin-stripe. It cost about 130.00 back in 1993 and it served me well for about 3 years.

I only possess 3 suits at the mo:

Charcoal pin-stripe from Next (getting worn and needs to be replaced)

Slate coloured Kurt Geiger I bought from E & M's a few years ago.

Brown pin-sripe by Duffer from Debenhams.

I'll be buying a new one for September - I've a Keith FC testimonial dinner in September so a new suit must be purchased. Saw a cracking one in Kafka the other week and a real classy Hugo Boss one in the HB Boutique in Glasgow. Either one will cost a small fortune but will be worth it.

Guest bluesxman
I still feel horrible about spilling cider and black on you (brutal) and your jacket.

At least tunnels sells pear cider now so if I see you you'll probably be safe - I managed to cover myself in the stuff at a work night out with a free bar (bad combo) and it didn't even stain my cream jumper!

Ha, I wasn't actually referring to that incident! But my jacket was only very slightly stained to the point of being practically unnoticeable and I wasn't going to bother getting it dry cleaned (never noticed when bought it was dry clean only, nightmare...), however it had to be done the other week after my darling son baby vommed on it....I shall keep a safe distance if I see you at 65days... ;)