aberdeen-music

Metal fans..

Dayeth

Ok since everything that has been brought to my attention in the world of metal lately has done nothing for me, including Machineheads new album, and Dev's new stuff, and even Dan's last suggestion. Megadeth's new album will obviously be a catastrophe and the idea of a new Dream Theater album doesn't fill me with confidence either, so this is what I think is good about metal in the mid 2000's.

www.myspace.com/arsis

I know, sounds like arses, but listen to "Diamond for Disease" particulary, even though it's just an part of the song. LISTEN.

Eat your heart out everyone who's not Opeth.

Meh, have you actually heard the new Dev album? It pawns! Had the band round last night and they loved it. The majority of the folk on the Hevydevy records forum say it rules. Defensive about Devs music? me? haha..maybe a bit.

I do agree that there has been a lot of shit lately. Will check out this band though....

Meh, have you actually heard the new Dev album? It pawns! Had the band round last night and they loved it. The majority of the folk on the Hevydevy records forum say it rules. Defensive about Devs music? me? haha..maybe a bit.

I do agree that there has been a lot of shit lately. Will check out this band though....

I've heard what they had on MySpace. I didn't particulary like Synchestra, or the last Strapping album either though, so I'm not inclined to give it a full listen to be honest, even though I probably will. Plus, I think you'll find Hogster that people on the Hevydevy records forum WOULD say it rules. Don't get me wrong I do love Dev (not "in" love, unlike some people), but I think he's going too fast for his own good just now.

I've heard what they had on MySpace. I didn't particulary like Synchestra, or the last Strapping album either though, so I'm not inclined to give it a full listen to be honest, even though I probably will. Plus, I think you'll find Hogster that people on the Hevydevy records forum WOULD say it rules. Don't get me wrong I do love Dev (not "in" love, unlike some people), but I think he's going too fast for his own good just now.

Mmm. The last Strapping album had a few decent tracks but was very very rushed unlike Alien. Yeah Synchestra was not anything special.

When SYL and The New Black came out, a lot of people on the HDR board said that their album was shite (especially the SYL album) in fact, Gene has never posted on the SYL boards again because the New Black got such a slating, he was fucked off because loads of people said it was rubbish. I might come across as "everything Dev does is genius" but to be honest, as you correctly pointed out, he needs to slow down. 3/4 albums a year is too much. I still think this is one of the best Dev albums yet and its getting rave reviews. You have to check the album first man, it really is getting a wayy better response compared to Synchestra and even Alien (which is quite somethng IMHO). The Ziltoid myspace songs do not do the album justice.

GONE

Yeah, I've played it through twice now. It's great, but it's not what I'd call exciting anymore. Dimmu are a band that I have a lot of time for becuase they never seen to do anything wrong and just make awesome music to listen to, consistantly, but I can't see them upping the ante ever.

I'm just about to check out the new Porcupine Tree album. Dunno if you Element lads are in to them at all...?

All metal is shite at the moment. Mainly because it's all the same over-produced generic mott-juice album after album. Even the new Mithras album isn't much cop.

The only good thing about it the amount of brainless arguments over it that pop up on this website, ho ho.

All metal is shite at the moment.

That's a fairly dramatic statement really. All the metal that is produced by bands that you know about is shite at the moment. I feel the same way, and when I get sick of it all I usually go onto THE METAL OBSERVER - Everything in Metal!, flick through a few reviews and try out some of the bands that sound good on there. Has led me to some amazing bands that fill me right back up with confidence that people are still making great metal, bands like Arsis, and to name a few others Persefone, Orphaned Land, The Vision Bleak, Blackout, Dead Soul Tribe, the list goes on. I'm not trying to be some underground....guy, but the world is a big place.

I'd say 'provocative', presonally. ;)

I agree, made me think/blether.

It is, but we're not on it for long enough to discover every good metal band there's ever been.

True, but it's hell of a lot better than waiting for something to hit mainstream metal. (Or wait for the next Pantera ;) )

Guest Jake Wifebeater
everything that has been brought to my attention in the world of metal lately has done nothing for me

I remember feeling exactly the same way about 12 years ago. I ended up ditching metal almost completely, save for a few '80's classics. Maybe you've come to the end of the line as far as metal goes? I've heard a few folk say the same lately.

I remember feeling exactly the same way about 12 years ago. I ended up ditching metal almost completely, save for a few '80's classics. Maybe you've come to the end of the line as far as metal goes? I've heard a few folk say the same lately.

Well I think the point of this thread is that that is exactly not what is happening. Mainstream metal is definately at a low point on the graph, so I'm trying to point out that there is some fantastic new metal bands out there, but you have to look for them. If anyone knows anything about finding bands from around the world that you like, it's you, half of your noise collection is from countries that don't exist. I'd say I have come to the end of a certain line with metal, Metallica are still one of my favourite bands in the world, but I get sick and tired listening to them, so I have had to branch out a bit, but nothing gives me the same buzz as metal does, so I don't see myself ditching it. However, I ain't hanging about between the good "big" metal albums, like Opeth, like In Flames (or *sigh* Devin Townsend) and other stuff I like that 10 billion other people like too.

For being a young guy i feel i have a very cynical view on modern metal and that view is that it metal world nowadays lacks a big set of brass nuts.

I aint even going to bother in detail about why i feel this way but as most folk know from the early 80's til about 94 was the peak of what i feel was the best era for all forms of metal.

Don't get me wrong there have been a few albums from the past few years that have grabbed me by breasticles.

Im more of a drum and bass guy anyway hahaha

I aint even going to bother in detail about why i feel this way but as most folk know from the early 80's til about 94 was the peak of what i feel was the best era for all forms of metal.

It was for mainstream metal, which is why it would have been a lot easier and more fun to be of gig going age back then. Not between -5 and 9.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
If anyone knows anything about finding bands from around the world that you like, it's you, half of your noise collection is from countries that don't exist.

If I had some quick and easy tips or pointers I'd be the first to share them with you, but I don't. Keep sniffing around and you should soon unearth some gems, and have fun looking. That's how I've always done it. You'll come across a lorryload of ding, but the small amount of beauties you should find along the way will more than make up for it, because it's from your own efforts. Don't lose heart. Can't really help you with metal, but if you ever want to check out some Balkan noisecore then give me a shout! Happy hunting.

Fuck ross, those guys are brilliant! Never heard of them before... You have sold me on them. I'm off to caiman-usa...

Like Beneath The Massacre (minus total mechanical playing) meets Into Eternity (minus the cheese.)

Oh, and another band to check out is Capharnaum. If you like Death/Cynic/Carcass (i.e. technical - but not stupidly so - death metal. It's Jason Suecof's band. (wheelchair bound uber producer)

Matt Heafy from trivium sings but I don't think that's a reason to be put off.

www.myspace.com/capharnaum