aberdeen-music

But I don't wanna pay....

deecie

Hello folks!

I have a (small) problem, and need some sensible advice...

Basically, i'm going to a festival with a whole load of mates this summer (Oxegen - just incase anyone cares, that however isn't important) it being in Dublin means we have to fly to get there.

The festival is Saturday & Sunday, but seen as we're going all that way we're going to have a few days in Dublin out on the last aswell.

The plan was to fly out thursday then come back tuesday, however, I couldnt fly out on the Thursday as i'm going to a gig that night, which I had tickets for even before i got my tickets for Oxegen, however, one of my friends took it upon himself to book the flights on the Thursday & Tuesday, while I was on holiday.

So I get back from my quick trip to Italy and recieve a demand for the money for the flights, even though I won't be getting one of them.

He says that he didnt know I couldn't make it, but still wants me to give him the money for it.

I don't want to have to pay for 2 flights there tho?

So anyone have any ideas, as apparantly, you can't cancel flight with Ryanair?

Thank you...(Assuming I get some useful advice that is!)

Ryanair.com - Cheap flights - Fly Cheaper, Car hire, Hotels, Travel Insurance

Incidentally, it took less time to find that on the Ryanair site than I imagine it took to type out your first post.

Amazingly, that was the first thing we tried to do! However, a return flight to Dublin is a bargain 50, however if you want to change the flight, it costs 70, so not worth it.

Normally it'd just be his problem and i'd ignore it, but this will probably create a pretty horrible tension the whole weekend??

Amazingly, that was the first thing we tried to do! However, a return flight to Dublin is a bargain 50, however if you want to change the flight, it costs 70, so not worth it.

Normally it'd just be his problem and i'd ignore it, but this will probably create a pretty horrible tension the whole weekend??

Probably. I'd buy a gun if I was you. Just to be on the safe side.

I was in a similar position when a mate bought me a ticket to a gig which he (sort of correctly) assumed I would want to go to without asking me first, but I couldn't actually go. He reckoned I should pay for the ticket but there was no way I was paying for a ticket I hadn't specifically asked for. He got pissed off, but managed to sell it before the gig. He quickly got over it though, and we were still close mates.

I THINK that's how it happened, anyway. There's a possibility he had very good reason to buy the ticket for me and that I COULD have been seen as being a bit of a cock about it... but I can't remember how if that's the case.

ANYWAY, the point is, they bought the ticket without asking you first. They took a chance by assuming you;d be okay with it. Verily, it is their responsibility. Tell them you're sorry about the ticket, but you should hardly be expected to pay for a ticket you can't use since you didn't get asked before it was bought. It may be unfair for them to have to pay for a ticket they won't use, but it's even less fair for YOU to pay for a ticket you can;t use, since you didn't even know it was being bought. They might think you;re a knob for a while, but if they're any sort of mate they'll get over it.

That's assuming you didn't tell them before going on holiday that flying on the thursday was okay. If you DID, then don't be a knob and admit you were at fault.

I'm guessing it's the first one though. So don't pay. An alternative solution would be to split the costs, although in reality even that is unfair on yourself. But comprimise is usually the best solution.

I don't blame you (unless it's your fault), but I really hope that you (and/or others on this thread that think the bloke that bought you the ticket did bad) have to try and organise 6/7/8/whateveramount of your mates to be in the same place at the same time, because it is fucking HELL. Trust me.

Go with your instinct. But I've lost a good friend in similar circumstances. It's ultimately up to you.

I think you need to work out whether your friendship is more important than 50 quid or not.