aberdeen-music

Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread

kirkt

• 1 year later...

:laughing: yeah the one about Take That Singstar is also a bit poor, but I admire his ability to see the future.

Seriously though, I'm enjoying it, I'll concede it's a very good album so far. I particularly liked "Something In The Night" and "Racing In The Street".

I always saw Springsteen as some gay-wand 80s cock-popper. Like Billy Joel. I guess I should learn not to judge so quickly.

Even if his music isn't liked by all, Bruce seems like a top top chap. The guy is 60, and he's still playing 3 or so hour sets and taking a big, fuck off run up, and sliding on his knees, like a glorified wedding band. I like how you cant even hear his guitar most of the time, so there's no dip in volume when he stops playing, jumps off stage and high fives everyone. Which is more important. Guitars are gay. High fives are mint.

I didn't really mind 'Dancing in the Dark'/'Born in the USA' at the time, when you had to endure the rubbish that was the majority of 80's music those songs were actually OK. I remember really liking 'I'm on Fire'. When I first started working I used to get a lift from a guy who had 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' on cassette in his car and we put it on and I remember being surprised how good it was. I think that is my favourite Springsteen album. 'Nebraska' is also great. 'Born to Run' is also pretty damn good.

I bought some of his recent albums cheap lately and his voice sounds ace just now, really gruff and haggard.

Hadn't listened to Springsteen for freakin' ages but bought The Rising earlier this year, what an album. Waitin' On A Sunny Day is now probably one of my favourite songs of his. Fair to say I listen to him a hell of a lot more now.

The Rising is definitely the best of his recent stuff for me. Probably in my top 3 Springsteen albums. Worlds Apart is a top, top tune.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Well done Mr Springsteen

here are a couple of old links:

Noticed there's an autocue in the clip of Great Balls of Fire! I assume that's not for Gerry's benefit!

I like the duet of Pink Cadillac, had never heard that before. Reminded me that on his tour last year Glasgow was the only city to be treated to that song. I don't think they'd played it for years hence Bruce's decision to start it alone:

autocue

QUOTE from Shaki

Noticed there's an autocue in the clip of Great Balls of Fire! I assume that's not for Gerry's benefit!

I think the Rock'N'Roll Hall of Fame was taking no chances that night - it was first night people were inducted and every singer at that first show could have used the autocue if they wanted.

I noticed Lou Reed used an autocue at his last appearance in Memphis - I suppose he has an excuse for forgetting some of his lyrics.

it is 17 years since I saw Bruce Springsteen call Jerry up on stage at a festival in Ireland. There are bootlegs around of their numbers but nothing has been officially released.

Shaki used to have a bruce springsteen rug sort of thing hanging on his wall at home!

I owe him a debt of gratitude for my own appreciatation of Bruce Springsteen. When I play covers at home I play the boss, when I walk with the i-pod I don't do an i-pod shuffle I do a 'wild the innnocent and the E-street shuffle!

The DVD that accompanies the anniversary release of Born to Run is amazing, the attention to detail he put into that record must have had the band and producers pulling thier hair out at times but the results speak for themselves. the live dvd also shows how amazing his band have always been and his voice as a twenty-whatever-he-was is the finest rock and roll voice ever heard!

The live version of youngstown on live at new york dvd is awesome.

saw him at hampden and he played for 3 hours, which at 59 is pretty impressive.

Why hasn't he done a fender telecaster signature model.... anyone know?

The first dance at my wedding was 'if i should fall behind (live)' Nuff said!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Promise

The Boss's classic album Darkness on the Edge of Town, took over 2 years to write and complete... there were lots of unreleased complete tracks from that time. Finally they get to see the light of day when The Promise is released this month! There are some lavish and expensive option for buying this release... so it will be a christmas present to myself I think.

Similar packag eas to the anniversary one for Born to Run, so DVD's etc etc... I'm sure it will be a killer ...

Springsteen and Neil Young the two most influential artists of their times ... ? I think so !

:)