aberdeen-music

Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread

kirkt

I would say I'm a casual fan, have the Greatest Hits and a couple of others. Just downloaded a Steve Earle bootleg with Bruce as a special guest the other day.

Funnily enough I would say Born in the USA is my least favourite "Boss" track, the synth sounds really crappy.

Anybody heard his original version of Pink Cadillac? It's good!

I heard a song I've never heard before yesterday and it mentioned cadillacs a few times. It was unmistakably the boss and I loved it from the very first chords.

I used to dislike Born In The USA but once I understood that the lyrics were anti-usa suddenly I could hear it in a new light. It rocks, as does many of his other songs. Springsteen claims Born To Run was his attempt at writing the best rock and roll song ever. I must say, he comes mighty close. Superb!

• 1 month later...
Guest Steven Dedalus

Would it be a bad time to mention that I think he's rubbish?

Seeing that the thread title is "Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread", probably.

Ok, "Nebraska" has it's moments.

But that new one about 'Girls in their summer dresses' is just downright creepy.

Guest idol_wild
Would it be a bad time to mention that I think he's rubbish?

Seeing that the thread title is "Bruce Springsteen Appreciation Thread", probably.

Ok, "Nebraska" has it's moments.

But that new one about 'Girls in their summer dresses' is just downright creepy.

Girls wearing summer dresses are better than you.

Bruce Springsteen is better than you.

:gringo:

• 2 weeks later...
the awful Dancing in the Dark.

eh! Ok the video is awful, and it may have affected how most people perceive the Boss, but surely that song is at least in part redeemed by the line (and delivery of it) -

"I check myself out in the mirror, I wanna change my clothes my hair my face"

Well, it's 1 week until I fly to London for the gig and I haven't received my tickets or a reply to my concerned e-mails. The Ebay seller has a heap of negative feedback recently pertaining to "no tickets, no communication, avoid" and they have 367 of mine :down:

Of course when I bought them all their feedback was positive. If they don't arrive I suppose I may be able to pursue my money back but my flights are non refundable and I can't afford to try to get a ticket from a tout outside the gig.

Not so Magic. :swearing:

Darkness on the edge of town is truly moving. Badlands, Racing in the Street etc etc. I worked with a couple of guys that were 'big' Bruce fans. I started on about DOTEOT and they were like 'what?'. They had no idea at all...oh well!

While I'm at it, I used to get pissed off about folk thought that Losing my religion was by a new band called REM. Never mind, I suppose we've all done it.

Well, it's 1 week until I fly to London for the gig and I haven't received my tickets or a reply to my concerned e-mails. The Ebay seller has a heap of negative feedback recently pertaining to "no tickets, no communication, avoid" and they have 367 of mine :down:

Of course when I bought them all their feedback was positive. If they don't arrive I suppose I may be able to pursue my money back but my flights are non refundable and I can't afford to try to get a ticket from a tout outside the gig.

Not so Magic. :swearing:

Doesn't sound good.

I'm getting the Megabus there, bargain 1!!

I'll be shuffling some money about from my savings account I think. Seems I'll be able to claim the money, or some of it, back through Paypal.

Cunts though.

Good luck with that, can you tell us about the process and how you get on? I've heard some real horror stories about ebay and paypal before.

Good luck with that, can you tell us about the process and how you get on? I've heard some real horror stories about ebay and paypal before.

Have raised a dispute so will let you know. Here's hoping.

Nevertheless, I managed to get a ticket in London (a further 175!) and was about 30 yards from the stage, just behind the pit. Yesterday went a something like this:

Traipsing round London aimlessly on my own. 3 hours

Pissing about at the O2 Arena trying to get a ticket. 3 hours.

Finally getting a guy selling a ticket's number off the internet and going to meet him at London Bridge. 30 minutes.

Queueing in the freezing cold. 2 hours 15 minutes.

Standing waiting for the band to start. 1 hour 15 minutes.

Then this for 2 and a half beautiful hours:

Radio Nowhere

No Surrender

Night

Lonesome Day

Gypsy Biker

Magic

Reason to Believe (exceptional full band version)

Because the Night (Nils Lofgren becomes my new guitar hero)

She's the One

Livin' in the Future

The Promised Land

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Working on the Highway

Racing in the Street

Devil's Arcade

The Rising

Last to Die

Long Walk Home

Badlands (I feel closer to God than ever before, a truly uplifting experience)

Girls in Their Summer Clothes

Jungleland (my eyes get a little moist)

Born to Run (I can't believe I'm actually here)

Dancing in the Dark

American Land

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (it was always going to happen I suppose!)

• 5 months later...

Afte4 witnessing an amazing gig last night, I think that Bruce Springsteen could be the greatest performer I've ever seen. The set-list:

No Surrender

Radio Nowhere

Night

Lonesome Day

The Promised Land

Magic

Trapped

Adam Raised A Cain

Darlington County

It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

Because The Night

She's The One

Livin' In The Future

Mary's Place

I'll Work For Your Love

Devil's Arcade

The Rising

Last To Die

Long Walk Home

Badlands

Growin' Up

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

Born To Run (an amazing sight/sound of all of Old Trafford singing the outro, Woooah oooh ahh oooh!!)

Rosalita

Dancing In The Dark

American Land

Afte4 witnessing an amazing gig last night, I think that Bruce Springsteen could be the greatest performer I've ever seen. The set-list:

No Surrender

Radio Nowhere

Night

Lonesome Day

The Promised Land

Magic

Trapped

Adam Raised A Cain

Darlington County

It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

Because The Night

She's The One

Livin' In The Future

Mary's Place

I'll Work For Your Love

Devil's Arcade

The Rising

Last To Die

Long Walk Home

Badlands

Growin' Up

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

Born To Run (an amazing sight/sound of all of Old Trafford singing the outro, Woooah oooh ahh oooh!!)

Rosalita

Dancing In The Dark

American Land

On a freebee too ya swine!

Fit's Trapped?!

damn, wish he'd played Adam Raised a Cain in Dec.

Welcome to the club :up: