aberdeen-music

This Is England

Teabags

English History X maybe???

Looks good.

Is the lead adult Turkish's mate from "Snatch"?

I'm old enough to have been around in '82 - it was a shit time for Britain and only got worse in '83 and '84 with the Miners Strike.

The Skinhead sub-culture "enjoyed" a renaissance on the back of Madness & Bad Manners success and could be seen hanging around bus stations and shopping malls.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Does anyone remember the TV play "Oi! For England" (also '82).

Not me, but it sounds like the type of thing I'd go a bundle on, i.e. like it. Tell me more, o wise one!

Not me, but it sounds like the type of thing I'd go a bundle on, i.e. like it. Tell me more, o wise one!

Ok, gather round my children....

The whole thing is set against the backdrop of the early 80's race riots and takes place in the basement of an Asian-owned shop that a 4-piece skinhead "nOIse" band use for rehearsals.

The lead singer named "Napper" (yes, I know :rolleyes: ) has made contact with the organiser of a BNP/National Front type event - known as "The Man" ('fraid so).

The Man wants the band to appear at a forthecoming rally, and Napper, being a thug and a racist, is really keen to do so.

They audition for The Man and he reveals implicitly that his organisation are more extreme that the band expected and that the rally might have more serious implications. Napper, of course, swallows it hook line and sinker.

This causes conflict within the group - especially the bassist, who's intelligent and only really in it for the music and image. The guitarist isn't keen either, but the thick drummer just does what Napper tells him.

I can't really remember the rest, but there was a potential romance between the bassist and the owner's pretty Asian daughter and they have a fairly intense dialogue about the whole race thing.

The ending was fairly ambigous - you can hear a riot in the street above, which three of the group join, leaving the bassist and the girl.

It ends with him getting tooled up and showing the girl how to put body armour on, before join the fray himself, leaving you wondering if he was going with the flow or protecting the girl.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i don't think it's focusing on the extreme end of the skin head culture.

That's OK, neither did "Meanwhile" and that was also a great film.

Guest bluesxman
That's OK, neither did "Meanwhile" and that was also a great film.

Do you mean 'Meantime' with Gary Oldman as Coxy the skinhead?? If so, yeah good film.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Do you mean 'Meantime' with Gary Oldman as Coxy the skinhead?? If so, yeah good film.

*ding*

Whoops yeah, I meant "Meantime". Worth it for Phil Daniels' 'tache alone.

Guest bluesxman
*ding*

Whoops yeah, I meant "Meantime". Worth it for Phil Daniels' 'tache alone.

Ha, aye, and Tim Roth gives a good performance as the polar opposite to his role as Trevor.

Damn, I've probably missed all the amusing BNP propaganda as the reams of political pamphlets that have been falling through the letter box have been going straight to the bin....

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this film last night...quite good and hard hitting but the whole little kid thing pisses me off...a bit patronising, whereas Bubs was a believable little tag along shit in Romper, this kid looks way too young and acts too old..I don't need to see an 8 year old snogging a woman either or being offered to suck her tits....just my own gripes, obviously done for shock value...ironically the real shock was the real footage of the falklands, no acting necessary. The ending was a bit of a lift from Quadrophenia aswell...stellar acting all around though

On a side note, they got the skingirl look fucking spot on...vicky mcclure (in the middle) looks like my kind of woman in this pic...

this-is-england-4.jpg

sigh...