aberdeen-music

NHS dentists in Aberdeen?

Lemonade

I'm having ouchy tooth problems. I don't have a dentist in Aberdeen, does anyone know anywhere I'll get an NHS dentist in Aberdeen? Or if I go to a private one will it cost a lot more? My teeth are pretty fucked with years of coffee and fags, plus my wisdom teeth grew in horizontally (seriously), they may need quite a lot of work (that'll teach me not to go to the dentist in 7 years).

:D me in the future?

Cheers

B.E.

NHS dentists taking-on are pretty thin on the ground ATM. A colleague got on to the new one at Woodside fairly recently so you might want to try there.

A private dentist will probably try to sign you on to some plan or other rather than just pay for what is done. Depending on your dental history/initial examination, this be on a monthly fee, probably less than 20.

If you are in pain, there is a daily NHS walk-in service at the clinic beside ARI. Think it runs from 6 or 6:30 pm, except Sundays. They will do the bare minimum to patch you up & will know the current position on who is accepting. They can also refer you to the hospital for wisdom tooth work & if you need it, I'd suggest you get them seen-to soon. I ignored mine for a very long time & in the end, the surgery invoved was a lot more complex & traumatic than it need have been.

Good luck! :)

Despite all the talk from the council about new surgeries blah blah, your chances are very slim. You can easily become a private patient but do expect to reach very deep into your pocket.

(but thats your fault for not taking care of your oral hygiene).

''ouchy'' doesn't really say much - lots of cavities, staining and ooohh maybe even a root canal = couple of hundred quid. Also depends how big the Dentist's ego is (this is always reflected in price and how fit the dental nurses are).

If your wisdom teeth are out of control, then you've got to be reffered up to the hospital to have them removed.

Alternatively, give me around 5 years and I'll put you top of my list.

Despite all the talk from the council about new surgeries blah blah, your chances are very slim. You can easily become a private patient but do expect to reach very deep into your pocket.

(but thats your fault for not taking care of your oral hygiene).

''ouchy'' doesn't really say much - lots of cavities, staining and ooohh maybe even a root canal = couple of hundred quid. Also depends how big the Dentist's ego is (this is always reflected in price and how fit the dental nurses are).

If your wisdom teeth are out of control, then you've got to be reffered up to the hospital to have them removed.

Alternatively, give me around 5 years and I'll put you top of my list.

What's a root canal? That sounds nasty. I don't want that... but yeah, cavities, staining, sideways wisdoms, and one broken stump at the back that I like poking with my tongue. They're not wrecked yet, but general wear and tear over seven years is starting to make them look a bit shit, I needed to get them fixed before I look like Shane McGowan.

A root canal is when the actual root of the tooth becomes infected (only happens in advanced decay).

Basically the tooth is anesthetized, a (little) hole made, some nice metal tools go deep into your dental roots, all the shit cleaned and got rid of, then everything is filled up with some sort of permanent material and you're in a fair bit of pain once the drugs wear off.

There's a (semi-) relevant story in today's Evening Express about NHS dentists (albeit in regards to children). However, in reading the comments at the bottom I can see, thanks to D. Scott, where the problems lie - it's all down to asylum seakers.

An Aberdeen dentist is to stop providing NHS treatment for children.Hilton Dental Practice has told patients it will put an end to helping those over five and under 18 unless...

I think my dentist, which is the Holburn Dentist (just before you get to ASDA at Garthdee on Holburn St) may be taking on some NHS patients, they were a few weeks ago...don't know if they still are atm. They aren't too expensive if you go private with them I dont think but then, I've never had any serious dental work done.

I'd give them a try though, you might get lucky.

I think my dentist, which is the Holburn Dentist (just before you get to ASDA at Garthdee on Holburn St) may be taking on some NHS patients, they were a few weeks ago...don't know if they still are atm. They aren't too expensive if you go private with them I dont think but then, I've never had any serious dental work done.

I'd give them a try though, you might get lucky.

I was going to try them cos I saw the sign saying they were taking NHS patients like 2 months ago, I'll ring them tomorrow. Cheers.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

My dentist is fucking great. He's one of the dudes at the bottom of Holburn Street. However, wisdom teeth extractions are referred to the NHS in most cases. I've been on the list since October/November time and have yet to hear anything. In the meantime, I've been in a lot of pain, but my man has sorted me out with dressings & antibiotics when required. He's a saint.

I've been going to the Holdburn dentist for about 20 years, and the guy who treated me over the years was amazing, although now recently retired. I've a new dentist to replace him - a younger model, if you like!

Not really much point in telling you that, but och well.

Regarding tooth extractions, are they painful? I've not had any teeth out since I was about 10 but I have the feeling that one of my 'back ones' needs to come out as it's pretty much destroyed. Actually it's not really the pain that would bother me, it's the blood. I'm nae so good around blood :(:puke:

I've been going to the Holdburn dentist for about 20 years, and the guy who treated me over the years was amazing, although now recently retired. I've a new dentist to replace him - a younger model, if you like!

Regarding tooth extractions, are they painful? I've not had any teeth out since I was about 10 but I have the feeling that one of my 'back ones' needs to come out as it's pretty much destroyed. Actually it's not really the pain that would bother me, it's the blood. I'm nae so good around blood :(:puke:

I got a big fucker from the back removed a few years back, it didn't hurt cos it was frozen like fuck, they don't anesthasise you any more though so you're awake the whole time. It's pretty unnerving, the guy sits you up straight, clamps a pliers thing to your tooth, puts one hand on your chest and just pulls like fuck! Lot of wrenching. They're set in pretty tight. The with an almighty crack, it releases and you're looking at a bloody tooth on the end of a stick. Mine didn't really bleed, just a bit in my spit, but I guess it differs from person to person, I never seem to bleed with tattoos/piercings etc either.

Which dentist did you have? Two of them retired just recently. Did you have Dr MacPherson or Dr McEwan? Who do you have now?

Also, tooth extractions aren't that bad. At the time you don't feel any pain, the dentist will numb your mouth with a few injections....the injections aren't pleasant but they aren't the worst feeling in the world. They make your mouth and some of your face numb which is a weird feeling but it's better than pain. There probably wont be much blood, maybe a little. A clot will form in the hole fairly quickly and as long as that doesn't get dislodged and you rinse with a salt water solution it won't be too bad. After the numbness wears off you'll probably will be a bit sore and you wont be able to eat anything solid.....hope you like soup and the likes! Having a tooth extracted isn't the nicest experience in the world but there's worse things.

I had an abcess once that was about the size of one of those jawbreaker gobstoppers - seriously I couldn't even close my mouth I was so deformed. I maintain the pain was worse than childbirth.

Edit: not that I've ever given birth of course, but there's no way anything can hurt as much as that fucking abcess did.

I had an abcess once that was about the size of one of those jawbreaker gobstoppers - seriously I couldn't even close my mouth I was so deformed. I maintain the pain was worse than childbirth.

Edit: not that I've ever given birth of course, but there's no way anything can hurt as much as that fucking abcess did.

yep i had something like that after i had root canal treatment that got infected afterwards... fucking hell it hurt :down: