aberdeen-music

What this scene needs

Guest Bob

Variety is the spice of life. Who needs a "scene"? Concentrate on being yourself and not not trying to be someone else.

Nothing wrong with teenagers doing their own thing, even if only 1 man and his dog (and the bassist's girlfriend) are in the crowd.

Would you prefer it if they were out vandalising cars and mugging grannies?

My teenage hopes have long gone - decades ago but I still get a kick out of playing music, even if it is a covers band.

We have also given teenage bands the opportunity to play with us and I have found this to be very refreshing. Even if their drummer is always better than me!!!

You know for someone in your position you really do display a lot of ignorance at times.

First off, ALL music is self indulgent, unless of course you are talking about manufactured music which is designed to appeal to the various specific groups of people which buy pop, or talking about the kind of music a lot of bands in aberdeen play which just sounds like everything else so you don't have to take any risks or use any imagination.

Secondly, constantly having a go at me as if writing in a home studio, using computers to facilitate it, and collaborating over the internet makes me some sadcase, just reveals your complete ignorance about modern production techniques. You people go on about being music lovers but you don't even understand what happened in music of the last 10 years outside of what you read about in NME, saw on MTV or got linked to on myspace etc.

You know what's sad? Spotty white kids playing naive soundalike songs to less than half a dozen mates in a dingy ex gay bar, and thinking they are "the scene".

I 'am' actually making self indulgent music in my bedroom, okay it isn't going to change the world for the better, you got me there...

"position"?o_O

I was going to carry on the debate but realised it was probably pointless and would likely be considered of an ignorant quality.

On topic

Is there a 'scene in Glasgow, London, Manchester etc? I personally like the fact that there are young kids coming through that couldn't give two hoots about what was going on last year let alone give a shit about a venue(s) that their parents or big brothers, sister went to.

Guest DustyDeviada
Is there a 'scene in Glasgow, London, Manchester etc?

I wouldn't say so. My idea of a "scene" would be the likes of:

Liverpool, early 60s

LA/San Francisco, late 60s/early 70s

New York, mid to late 70s

Manchester, mid 80s to early 90s

Seattle, late 80s early 90s

ie a group of bands coming together in a particular geographical area and producing era defining music. Hate to break the news to some of you, but that has never happened in Aberdeen, and most certainly not in the last 10 years.

I 'am' actually making self indulgent music in my bedroom, okay it isn't going to change the world for the better, you got me there...

"position"?o_O

I was going to carry on the debate but realised it was probably pointless and would likely be considered of an ignorant quality.

On topic

Is there a 'scene in Glasgow, London, Manchester etc? I personally like the fact that there are young kids coming through that couldn't give two hoots about what was going on last year let alone give a shit about a venue(s) that their parents or big brothers, sister went to.

If you can't back up your snide little remarks, keep your mouth shut then, it's that sort of insular bullshit that is part of the problem up here.

As for "scenes" in other cities, yes, there are big genre defining scenes in london and bristol at the moment that are generating a lot of fresh new music, but of course you wouldn't be interested in that because it's all being done by people in their bedrooms infront of computers and isn't derived from rock.

If you can't back up your snide little remarks, keep your mouth shut then, it's that sort of insular bullshit that is part of the problem up here.

As for "scenes" in other cities, yes, there are big genre defining scenes in london and bristol at the moment that are generating a lot of fresh new music, but of course you wouldn't be interested in that because it's all being done by people in their bedrooms infront of computers and isn't derived from rock.

Okay :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I've also witnessed a bunch of young nervous guys shitting themselves before they go on and play their first gig to a handful of people, then play an absolute blinder and get a bit of a following and some feedback, which I must state again, is how all established bands start out.

No it isn't, you don't know what you are talking about.

There does seem to be a very large number of gigs happening. Bands don't really seem to be establishing themselves in Aberdeen like they used to, perhaps. Possibly down to not having AUBL or the band's don't promote themselves as well as they could.

Most of my friends are rarely interesting in going to gigs of local bands. Most would rather sit in a pub with 'background music', no music or a nightclub with ridiculouslly loud music.

I've usually felt an average quality live band was preferable to someone playing records. I would say about half of the times, I think the bands I see in Aberdeen are nothing special. The other half, they are better than average and sometimes even quite good or incredible.

The main thing I don't like about local gigs is the PA is always ridiculously loud (at Drummonds and Tunnels anyway), meaning that if you don't care for the band you aren't offered a sensible alternative of convsersation with friends. Kef however makes this too easy and you will find many people who don't bother watching the bands becuase of it's layout.

I wouldn't say so. My idea of a "scene" would be the likes of:

Liverpool, early 60s

LA/San Francisco, late 60s/early 70s

New York, mid to late 70s

Manchester, mid 80s to early 90s

Seattle, late 80s early 90s

ie a group of bands coming together in a particular geographical area and producing era defining music. Hate to break the news to some of you, but that has never happened in Aberdeen, and most certainly not in the last 10 years.

Dundee - Mid - Late 00's... Wait and see...

Aberdeen's time will come..

We're dancing on the same old graves here......Stripey attacks Aberdeen bands,.....Aberdeen bands get defensive....Stripey reminds us about the Bristol scene (which is already long out of date) etc etc

I've a sneaking suspicion that, in twenty years time, the Aberdeen 'scene' might be folks like Prof Lo-Fi who are producing intriguing electro-acoustic stuff, but rarely appearing in public, apart from the odd run out at a church, or the University, but I'm not going to worry about it, and neither should anyone else.

Hog and I might define a new genre of folk/metal (those in the know call it 'fettle') where we combine contemporary bothy ballads (burger joint laments) with samples of Donald Trump's land-removing machinery, and then get disaffected youths to shred over the result.:up:

We're dancing on the same old graves here......Stripey attacks Aberdeen bands,.....Aberdeen bands get defensive....Stripey reminds us about the Bristol scene (which is already long out of date) etc etc

I've a sneaking suspicion that, in twenty years time, the Aberdeen 'scene' might be folks like Prof Lo-Fi who are producing intriguing electro-acoustic stuff, but rarely appearing in public, apart from the odd run out at a church, or the University, but I'm not going to worry about it, and neither should anyone else.

Hog and I might define a new genre of folk/metal (those in the know call it 'fettle') where we combine contemporary bothy ballads (burger joint laments) with samples of Donald Trump's land-removing machinery, and then get disaffected youths to shred over the result.:up:

VOTE FOR ALAN!:love:

Actually, I'm not referring to the bristol of over 10 years ago that produced the likes of portishead, massive attack and tricky, but whats going on there at the moment...

You might have been referring to what's going on in Philadelphia right now, too...or Tokyo, but I'm not rising to your bait again...the attacking becomes too predictable (just like you say most of us dung-chewing locals are).

The BBC says this.....

Think of Bristol, and most of us think of successful acts like Portishead, Massive Attack and Tricky.But it's been a few years since any new Bristol-based artists have broken through and achieved national success.

So is Bristol in danger of becoming a musical backwater?

It's well out of it...kind of like Fraserburgh used to be, until some of the newer musicians started created interesting stuff in the last couple of years.

The Broch is the Scene!!!! :up:

• Upvote 1

You might have been referring to what's going on in Philadelphia right now, too...or Tokyo, but I'm not rising to your bait again...the attacking becomes too predictable (just like you say most of us dung-chewing locals are).

The BBC says this.....

Think of Bristol, and most of us think of successful acts like Portishead, Massive Attack and Tricky.But it's been a few years since any new Bristol-based artists have broken through and achieved national success.

So is Bristol in danger of becoming a musical backwater?

It's well out of it...kind of like Fraserburgh used to be, until some of the newer musicians started created interesting stuff in the last couple of years.

The Broch is the Scene!!!! :up:

I'm not baiting anyone, this is just the facts, it's not my fault if people don't like the truth.

The maryanne hobbs show this weekend on BBC radio 1 was full of tunes from new bristol talent, mixed by bristols DJ Pinch for example. "Breaking through and acheiving national success" is a very ambiguous phrase, some of these people are achieving international success, just because it's not on the telly or in the charts doesn't mean it's not happening.

Why shouldn't we talk about what's going on in other cities, is it because people up here are so afraid of "outsiders" and so on?

Well, I know for a fact that TwoJoe is scared to take the train out of Aberdeen because he views 'otherworlders' as threatening since he had that unpleasant experience in Markinch.

Personally, I can't see the infatuation with other cities...why keep 'following' a scene, like a sheep....create your own Stonehaven one.

You don't have to hear things by other folk to make you creative..if anything it stifles the process. Junk the computer and start being creative with other tools....maybe something organic, like thistles, or meat-based like mince.

Damn..I've risen to the bait again, you devil, you!!:love:

I think 'outsider' art/music is great....some of those people aren't afraid of others, just not interested in what's going on outside their own brain.

I'm not baiting anyone, this is just the facts, it's not my fault if people don't like the truth.

The maryanne hobbs show this weekend on BBC radio 1 was full of tunes from new bristol talent, mixed by bristols DJ Pinch for example. "Breaking through and acheiving national success" is a very ambiguous phrase, some of these people are achieving international success, just because it's not on the telly or in the charts doesn't mean it's not happening.

Why shouldn't we talk about what's going on in other cities, is it because people up here are so afraid of "outsiders" and so on?

I would agree and i also think you seem to know more about the bristol scene more than people on this board. Originality is exactly what this board needs

Personally, I can't see the infatuation with other cities...why keep 'following' a scene, like a sheep....create your own Stonehaven one.

You don't have to hear things by other folk to make you creative..if anything it stifles the process. Junk the computer and start being creative with other tools....maybe something organic, like thistles, or meat-based like mince.

Well the advantage of keeping an eye on whats going on elsewhere is that it can inform your own material and approach, you can pick up stylistic tricks and flourishes and so on from diverse sources and be inspired by them, I don't think you can convince anyone that it's a bad idea to have a diverse taste in music or keep an eye on whats fresh...

Well the advantage of keeping an eye on whats going on elsewhere is that it can inform your own material and approach, you can pick up stylistic tricks and flourishes and so on from diverse sources and be inspired by them, I don't think you can convince anyone that it's a bad idea to have a diverse taste in music or keep an eye on whats fresh...

Sounds like copying to me!

But, if you're definitely listening to all the new stuff, from every country, and in every style, then well done!! (And not just the same old Bristol/DJ Scene stuff!) I've been enjoying the Magic Carpathian Project, and (although he's hardly new!!!) have enjoyed what I've heard by Pandit Pran Nath, so if you can burn me some of their music that'd be great.:up:

However, I think we should agree to disagree....you're obviously hip to what's really happening out there, and I'm not particularly interested in technology-heavy things. Plus I'm not desperate to be so negative towards anyone.

Eureka!!!!!! I've got the answer to Aberdeen's lack of a 'Scene'....let's start 'grump', which would be cutting-edge dancefloor stuff utilising very old people moaning. Chilli, Graeme and myself can provide the grumping (although you're welcome to join in, Stripey), and Stripey and Rune can process it into something Maryanne Hobbs and Robbie Shepherd can both play.

Marketable or what????8-)

Eureka!!!!!! I've got the answer to Aberdeen's lack of a 'Scene'....let's start 'grump', which would be cutting-edge dancefloor stuff utilising very old people moaning. Chilli, Graeme and myself can provide the grumping (although you're welcome to join in, Stripey), and Stripey and Rune can process it into something Maryanne Hobbs and Robbie Shepherd can both play.

Marketable or what????8-)

I'm sure someone's remixed The Fall already.