aberdeen-music

What this scene needs

Guest Bob

I agree with Bob in terms of folk just not seeming interested anymore.

Not true, you walk past Drummonds or Kef some nights and it's just as busy as it was 5 years ago. As folk have already said, there's different scenes, and the one that lots of people here wank over has ran it's course. Most folk from this 'golden age' have grown up and turned to the 'mainstream', or simply left town. It's no big deal because there's a new one already, full of younger folk who are doing it all again.

Guest DustyDeviada
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack neds off their heads outside Drummonds. I watched pools of piss glitter in the darkness of Patagonian Court. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

:up:

So come on Alan, was Deckard a replicant as well or what?

come on just admit it, most of the bands in aberdeen are just some adolescent kids MTV wetdream fantasy, they only exist because of the sad venues which tolerate them and their sad mates, none of them have anything of any proper musical value to offer to the wider world.

I've always said it was a good thing when drakes closed, because it was the worst enabler of all that lameness.

come on just admit it, most of the bands in aberdeen are just some adolescent kids MTV wetdream fantasy, they only exist because of the sad venues which tolerate them and their sad mates, none of them have anything of any proper musical value to offer to the wider world.

I've always said it was a good thing when drakes closed, because it was the worst enabler of all that lameness.

Yeah, I also hated that place Drake's. Fucking den of depravity should have closed long before it did. As for that baldy git that owned it... As soon as he sensed it wasn't going to make him his Simon Cowel millions he ran for the hills...

I believe he is now walled up in a bedsit making self indulgent/important computer music that will absolutely change the way we all view the world, for the better! Exciting times ahead...

What I was saying is absolutely true, if you disagree explain why, in a rational manner.

OK then. You do realise that every band you like, and every band you've ever liked started out their careers playing in places like Drakes. Who's to say a band has "nothing of any proper musical value to offer the world" unless a small venue gives them the chance to be heard? Places like Drakes are what make bands, not only because it gives them a platform, but also because it gives new bands a goal and something to aim for. It's a good, achievable goal for a young band, the chance to get themselves heard, gain a following, and a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I'm not saying all the bands who played in Drakes should be revered, I've seen some absolute shite bands in there, in fact I've played in some absolute shite bands in there, but I've also witnessed a bunch of young nervous guys shitting themselves before they go on and play their first gig to a handful of people, then play an absolute blinder and get a bit of a following and some feedback, which I must state again, is how all established bands start out.

In addition Drakes introduced me to a lot of touring bands that I would never have heard of because they're not big enough to be played on the radio, and support slots for big bands are pretty hard to come by, bands I've liked so much that I've made a point of buying their stuff and following their progress. Drakes was run by music lovers and and attended by music lovers. People went there with the sole purpose of watching bands, something which I've always felt was/ is lacking in Drummonds as I tend to find a lot of people go in to Drummonds just to drink, and don't really pay any attention to the bands, it's just "background". And don't even get me started on Kef. I've played in a few venues in the city (Drakes, Drummond, Moorings, Kef etc) and Drakes was always my favourite to play in because the crowd were always real music fans who wanted to listen to you. How can you possibly say that it was a good thing it shut down?

Sorry but I wouldn't say bands such as Karrta, Project Ven Hell, Copy Haho,Kitchen Cynics et al(using them as an example of Aberdeens most popular) would be class as adolescent teens MTV wet dream fantasy.

Damn you Camie!!! You've just shattered my illusions. I've always thought I was MTV-bound. I've been practising dance routines in front of the mirror, and have applied sequins to my incontinence pants :)

I believe he is now walled up in a bedsit making self indulgent/important computer music that will absolutely change the way we all view the world, for the better! Exciting times ahead...

You know for someone in your position you really do display a lot of ignorance at times.

First off, ALL music is self indulgent, unless of course you are talking about manufactured music which is designed to appeal to the various specific groups of people which buy pop, or talking about the kind of music a lot of bands in aberdeen play which just sounds like everything else so you don't have to take any risks or use any imagination.

Secondly, constantly having a go at me as if writing in a home studio, using computers to facilitate it, and collaborating over the internet makes me some sadcase, just reveals your complete ignorance about modern production techniques. You people go on about being music lovers but you don't even understand what happened in music of the last 10 years outside of what you read about in NME, saw on MTV or got linked to on myspace etc.

You know what's sad? Spotty white kids playing naive soundalike songs to less than half a dozen mates in a dingy ex gay bar, and thinking they are "the scene".