aberdeen-music

Travelling round Europe?

davidm

Me and a few friends are planning to go round Europe for a couple of weeks before University. Does anyone know of any, for example, two week sleeper trains taking in random cities in Europe?

I seem to remember hearing about something like that before - a train that went round capital cities of Europe for two weeks. Maybe I just made it up.

choo choo choo

Don't worry too much about train deals....they're all so mesmerising and confusing.

The Interrailing/Eurorailing thing is only worthwhile if you are travelling in very developed countries, ie. France and Germany and western Europe......but if you want to go much further afield, I wouldn't bother with the railcard. I was muddled and questionning the value of it for a while last summer.

Then me and my pal decided it wasn't worth it for where we were going, which was Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic and finally Berlin. We just bought train tickets at the individual stations which wasn't hard...and MUCH cheaper than buying a railticket thing (cos there's a middle man in that I suppose). The usual hassles applied though, ie not enough ticketmasters at the desks etc etc....so I suppose the way around that is to turn up early...blah blah...yeahyeahhh! The poorer, more rickety trains are in the east, but it's not a big deal and you get to meet highly frightening Polish train ticket masters, or the train police.

Also, if you're under 26 you get cheaper rail travel in the whole of Europe I think....grr I was 26 and one day old and the Hungarian stinge wouldn't give me discount. Git!

What a cool thing to do before uni....i want to do it all again.....

Bonesaw Bazz and myself "tripped" around Europe by car in three weeks last year , which involved camping in random woods on french mountains,busted for possesion by french customs, having constipation for two week from eating bratwursts all the time,very cheap booze,making new friends in different countries,seeing favorite bands.

All in all it only cost us around 500 and that is including fuel/ferry tickets/fines and hostel charges

It is just the oerfect thing to cleanse the soul.

Bonesaw Bazz and myself "tripped" around Europe by car in three weeks last year , which involved camping in random woods on french mountains,busted for possesion by french customs, having constipation for two week from eating bratwursts all the time,very cheap booze,making new friends in different countries,seeing favorite bands.

All in all it only cost us around 500 and that is including fuel/ferry tickets/fines and hostel charges

It is just the oerfect thing to cleanse the soul.

ssshhhtt!!!