aberdeen-music

Doors Bargain in Asda

incredibledisc

funnily enough, I was going to post this on the "bargains" thread yesterday. I picked up 4 cds for that price on Friday in Asda - The Doors, Strange Days, Morrison Hotel and er, Waiting for The Sun, was it? (I think - can't remember!).

Anyway, the other two studio albums weren't there (i'm discounting Other Voices and Full Circle here).

All these CDs are 6.97 on Amazon.

"The Best Of" one disk edition is in the Asda charts for 9.97 as well - although there are two disc and 3 disc editions of this released as well.

I started off listening to the doors with the 3 disc best of. The third disc isn't anything you'd miss (pissy dance remix of riders on the storm... though it's almost worth it just to see how long you can listen to it for).

If they've got Morrison Hotel that'd be useful. I think it's the only studio album I'm missing (My parents have a copy and I used to just borrow that when I was in a frenzy about them).

I really need to listen to them again, they were my favourite band for quite some time.

The four they had were "The Doors", "Strange Days", "Morrison Hotel" and "LA Woman" didn't see the other two at the time I was in.

The four they had were "The Doors", "Strange Days", "Morrison Hotel" and "LA Woman" didn't see the other two at the time I was in.

Aye, that was them - couldn't remembre the 4th one I'd got for love nor money there!

I've been into Asda a couple of times since and the other two CDs - soft parade, waiting for the sun - weren't there any time so I don't think they've got them.

Guest bluesxman

Morrison Hotel is one of their best. You can always do without The Soft Parade, although there are a couple good songs on it.

The constant re-release of The Doors back catalogue never ceases to amaze me - are they actually that different in sound quality?

Morrison Hotel is one of their best. You can always do without The Soft Parade, although there are a couple good songs on it.

The constant re-release of The Doors back catalogue never ceases to amaze me - are they actually that different in sound quality?

According to the liner notes by Bruce Botnick the orginal album was released at the wrong speed and pitch (slightly slow and therefore half a key low) which has now been corrected.

On "Break on Through" the word "high" which was mixed out of the original release has been reinstated there are apparently lots of other minor differences with things being added back into the mix that were previously inaudible - reminds me of the remixes Pearl Jam did for "Rearview Mirror"

The Fopp website also has these cds at 5.00 (plus a flat fee of 1 for delivery) dunno if the shop will have them at that price as there seems to be some discrepancy between the two at times - I got a couple of Foo Fighter's cds for a 5 each from the website but they are 10 a pop in the shop. I also got the Velvet Undeground's "Loaded" (2cd version) for 8 but the shop has the old one disc effort at the same price.

Guest bluesxman

I bought them all on cassette during my late-teens Doors phase. Ended up buying them all again on CD a few years back when the old FOPP were selling them at a fiver each. I think Strange Days is the only one that wasn't the remastered version of that time. Can't say I listen often enough to upgrade again.

The Jim Morrison poetry one, An American Prayer, is vaguely embarassing unless you are a total obsessive who hasn't yet realised that his 'poetry' inspired lyrical output was a bit cack.

All I have is the one disc best of CD, which is good but I really ought to get a few others since they were pretty great. Does anyone have the album of Jim Morrison reciting poetry over some music tracks? It's pretty weird. I think Stoned Immaculate comes from it.

An American Prayer. It is kinda rare. I own it on Cassette. Find it on Vinyl and you're doing well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bluesxman
I noticed that - I'll have to pick up "waiting for the sun" and "soft parade".

I bought Oliver Stone's "The Doors" for 3.99 at play.com if anyone wants a laugh at the wigs.

Yeah I picked those 2 up at the weekend. After saying I wasn't going to upgrade again as well :rolleyes: ....but after listening to the other ones and seeing the difference in sound, seemed worth it. Been on a fair Doors binge in the car of late, just need to try and flog off the old ones on Amazon now. Haven't watched the film in years, last time I did it was just so cringeworthy I haven't been able to face it again.