aberdeen-music

[GIG] Jonah Matranga + support @ The Tunnels

Yes this is followed by opem mic :D

theese are rough as hell, but probably something along theese lines...

7.20 Steven Milne

7.50 Holy Folks

8.30 dave house

9.00 mistakes.in.animation

9.30 Jonah Matranga

ross?

its matthew from Holy Folks.

we aren't playing this gig anymore. when you sent us the myspace message on April 6th regarding the venue change, we messaged back saying we weren't prepared to play a gig without the full band. were you using the No Promotions myspace for that?

i was with stew when he sent that message, and it even says "replied" next to the original message. sorry for the confusion but there is no way we can play as all three of us are bogged down with uni work tonight.

seeing as your not online anymore i'll try my best to get the message to you another way. can anyone PM me his number at all?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Steven Milne was fantastic, Dave house was amazing, Del was pretty good (had heard some negative comments about his music and thought they were totally unjustified) and I only saw a bit of Jonah then left cos I was getting sick of acoustic music, and there was a massive crowd around him so I couldn't even see anything anyway. For anyone that enjoyed Mr House's performance, he seems to be quite up for heading back up for a weekend or two in the future so keep your eyes peeled.

Dave House was brilliant - definitely my fave of the support acts last night.

now that I've had some sleep...jonah was absolutely fantastic last night, there was such a special atmosphere in the room. going from 'drive away' into 'be quiet and drive' (which i asked for, and am so so so happy he played) was a highlight..as well as 'wear it so well' and his cover of 'fake plastic trees' at the end. incredibly nice guy as well! i can't wait to see him back in the 'deen again.

Yeah, i have to admit that Jonah sits right up there with Idlewild acoustic at the Loft as one of the best gigs i've ever been to. His voice was amazing, he must take pretty good care of it. And he was a great guy, was happy to sign stuff and even pose for a photo with the missus and me. I really hope he comes back sometime. Ross did a good job promotion wise too, everything ran very smoothly.

I wasn't keen on any of the supports, i think the main problem with acoustic balladeers these days is that they all sound very similar and they struggled with that last night. Steven Milne sounds like a cross between Paolo Nutini and Pete Doherty (and i'm not a massive Little Kicks fan either) but his songs and voice were more than passable.

I wish Dave House had actually had a band behind him as all of his songs just felt liked they should've had a little more to them. They were all like songs that had been written for a band but were being performed acoustically rather than being stand-alone acoustic songs in their own right.

Del's a great guy and he's pretty funny/quick witted as well but i'm not keen on the whole ironic wit in acoustic stuff to be honest. Topical and polititcal songs aren't really my thing.

Still, i enjoyed myself immensely last night and it was well worth the 5 ticket price. Onward to Cinematic Orchestra tonight and 65daysofstatic on Saturday :)

I have to say I had an amazing time last night, it totally made up for the shambles in Edinburgh the night before. Thanks for listening and being an awesome audience, that's what I like! Quiet during the songs, then shouting shit at me while I'm tuning up in between. Perfect. If any of you didn't catch it, it's www.myspace.com/mistakesinanimation

I have a recording of Jonah's set (which sounds fucking amazing), I might post a few highlights up here but I think it'll be at the discretion of the big man himself... He's staying at mine from Saturday onwards so I'm sure we'll sort something out.

Once again, cheers for making it such a great night! I might be back in May, depends on whether I'm touring with Luke Leighfield and Sam Isaac at the time.

Also, thanks to Phil for letting us crash at short notice, legend.

xx

I thought Jonah was very good, I have wanted to see him play since I got into Far when I was like 14 or something. I walked away pleased but also diappointed in some ways.

I keep thinking that his 'nice guy' attitude is just bull shit. But hey who am I to say?

He wasn't as good as Mark Eitzel. But was pretty good.

x

I think everyone's comments are spot on, and the atmosphere was definatley something very special... the venue really complimented him.

He did say he may be back in summer, and would love to pla aberdeen again... so fingers crossed :up:

Thanks a lot to everyone that came along! The turnout wasn't too shabby with about 70 people by the end!

Ross

x

I thought Jonah was very good, I have wanted to see him play since I got into Far when I was like 14 or something. I walked away pleased but also diappointed in some ways.

I keep thinking that his 'nice guy' attitude is just bull shit. But hey who am I to say?

He wasn't as good as Mark Eitzel. But was pretty good.

x

o_O .....

I disagree, I think that a lot of people, artists in particular, who have the 'nice guy' attitude are full of shit...but Jonah's sincerity didn't make me cringe, and there was no inling in my mind at all that he was full of shit. Seemed 100% genuine to me. I thanked him for playing 'Be Quiet and Drive' afterwards and he gave me a hug. Not many musicians that would ask fans to 'keep in touch'.

I think anyone questioning Jonah's sincerity has to question themselves, would they be as sincere having spent 30 hours travelling to one of Scotland's "minor" cities to play what I considered to be one of the best sets I've seen him do?

You've got to be pretty fucking cynical to say things like that. I think Jonah is one of a very rare breed.