aberdeen-music

New Manics single...

Afro Droid

...is really good. Who's the bird singing? It's nae The Holy Bible like, but what's ever gonna be as good as that? The Manics meant the the world to me as a youth, good to see some decent output from them again, and James Dean Bradfield looks great, must've dropped about a stone or two. Thoughts?

Yeah - definitely their best single since The Massess Against the Classes for me. Been listening to it for a few days. Nina's voice fits in brilliantly. It's got a bit of a glam stomp and the trademark guitar sound. Even Wire's backing vocals seem to fit and aren't as horrendous as "the solo album."

And the new album track "Underdogs" is superb too.

Jimmy Dean looks like he did ten years ago - a new man!

I hope the Manics as we used to know them are back.

Aye it is Nina Persson. I think its alright, but really inoffensive. Underdogs on the other hand!!!!! "This one goes out to the freaks"!!! Worst lyrics ever!! I reckon the album is gonna be dire really, them trying to rock out like the old days again, it'll be like Know Your Enemy without the ecleticism and totally overproduced. I liked Lifeblood.

I think it's great, definitely my favourite single since Masses. I've heard bits and pieces of the new stuff and I have very high hopes for the new album. I'm Just a Patsy in particular has a real GT-era aggression to it. The riff in Autumn Song is absolutely massive, there's some serious JDB guitar soloing on the new stuff.

They're looking great aswell, they've managed to use the Holy Bible-era look without looking like a pastiche of their younger selves. Saw James at The Garage in October and Jonathan Ross was right when he said he was like a "docker from Marseille", his arms are like tree trunks.

• 2 weeks later...

just heard it for the first time on the radio - nae a bad song and some nice vocals from that bird from the cardigans but cant help thinking they're trying too hard to be the manic street preachers if you get me drift.

they'll never even come close to bettering generation terrorists or the holy bible so i'm wondering why they still bother!

I'm in the minority of thinking Gold Against the Soul is their best work.

I'm in that minority too.

Although The Holy Bible is very close (and probably shades it when I'm in a certain mood). I really don't think that Generation Terrorists is that great as an album, although it does have some mighty fine songs on it. Everything Must Go has aged really badly, to the point where I can't actually listen to it all the way through any more. I haven't bought anything since (Manic's records that is - I didn't just give up buying products because the Manics had got a bit dull).

they'll never even come close to bettering generation terrorists or the holy bible so i'm wondering why they still bother!

Probably because sub-standard Manics output shits on the vast majority of music released by anyone else.

Lifeblood is brilliant. It's such a shame it did so badly in the charts, and that even Manics fans wrongly deride it. If you expect a band to repeat themselves over and over again, then a band like Manic Street Preachers is always going to disappoint. It's a shame there are still fans who expect them to "go back to being the Manics" as it were - whenever they try to do this, they fail. KYE was a mess (albeit an interesting one), then they stopped trying to force it and they came out with There By The Grace Of God, which is an utterly fantastic song (listen to it closely with earphones - they keyboards are fantastic). As soon as I heard Underdogs I thought "oh fuck, not again..." I've heard this album will contain JDB's equivalent of Sweet Child O' Mine - I thought his version was called Motorcycle Emptiness, and it had already surpassed SCOM?

1985, To Repel Ghosts and A Song For Departure - all from Lifeblood - are the best things they've done without Richey. 1985 is definitely in their top 20 songs of all time, too (ie it's one of the best 7 songs they've done that isn't on The Holy Bible).

I'd also agree that EMG has aged TERRIBLY. I even listen to Know Your Enemy more than that load of Britpopper-baiting nonsense. And yet, it's still better than anything Kasabian, Razorlight or Arctic Monkeys can come up with. Let's see the fucking Klaxons come out with something as brilliant as Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm in the minority of thinking Gold Against the Soul is their best work.

Me too. The only Manics albums i actually like are Gold Against The Soul and Generation Terrorists. Holy Bible and Everything Must Go have their moments but the new one, Lifeblood and This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours are on the whole decidedly average.

I must've heard the new one nearly a hundred times at work now as my boss is a Manics fan so i'm fairly jaded by the whole thing and i'm sick of "Indian Summer" and it's "Design For Life Part II" stylings.

It still doesn't irritate me as much as the Long Blondes album, which i calculated i had heard nearly 400 times in the space of a few months. Try that for overkill. I did actually like the album when it came out, but if anything was to send me into the sort of rage we all know Brian Wilson would be capable of, it's hearing that fucking CD. I fear the new Manics album will be my latest Achilles Heal :(