aberdeen-music

Maximillian's Diner

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Please tell me somebody has some info on this place - a mate of mine and I are really into the laughs to be had at old obsolete fashions/styles/products etc, and I was driving past the old place last night and had to phone him up about it - still looks like something straight out of the 80s with its neon green lights, and instantly conjures up images in my head of being full of rich yuppy scum, the Dorsia to Patrick Bateman's Aberdonian psycho. Was it really the creme de la creme of 80s dining in Aberdeen? I have a vague memory of my folks going there once and being really excited about it - they must have won the tickets in a raffle though cos I don't think they had much money to be throwing around back then.

It's part of the Holiday Inn now. When Holiday Inn bought the Posthouse hotel that stood there in about 99 or so, Maximillians was incorporated in it. Because it didn't meet Holiday Inn "standards" (ie all Holiday Inns have to have the same names for everything so as not to confuse people), they stopped using the name Maximillians and just started calling it the Holiday Inn bar. However they never bothered to take the sign down. Last year, the Holiday Inn was bought from Intercontinental Hotels as a franchise, and because it is now a franchise they have a little bit more creative license, ie they can change their menus, drinks prices etc. and someone decided to start using the old neon sign again to try and get people in off the street for dinner. It-' basically just the bar/restaurant ofthe Holiday Inn. Surprisingly the bar is really nice and modern and looks great to sit in, the restuarant however is shaped like a school gym hall and has varnished wooden floorboards - like a school gym hall. The bar is good but mega mega dear (4 a pint!), the restuarant sucks.

I worked there for almost 3 years in a variety of roles, and I can promise you it's overpriced, the food is shit and the kitchen is filthy.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

haha, thanks for clearing that up. i phoned my folks about it and they had never heard of it...how I managed to make that up i have no idea

I feel a little rant coming on.

that place is the very bowels of hell. it's the worst run hotel, bar, restaurant and kitchen I have ever had the misfortune to step into. The treat their staff like absolute shit, make you, literally make you sign a waiver form when you start waivering your rights to breaks at work and the law about having a 12 hour rest between finishing work and starting again. People finishh at midnight and start again at 6am, and work without breaks. The management used to let the staff eat the leftover hot food from the breakfast buffet after breakfast finished, but then they decided the staff didn't deserve it, so now every day they just throw the whole lot in the bin. Kitchen staff yell at waiting staff unrepentantly until the waiters are too scared to go into the kitchen, which of course leads to a lot of fuck ups, which the waiting staff get the blame for. This of course leads to high staff turnover because no-one wants to work in these conditions for minimum wage, hence they are always, always short staffed as peoplle just stop turning up for work. This of course leads to more fuck ups due to lack of staff, and new staff not getting trained due to lack of time.

Yet every quarter, it comes on top of the league for guest satisfaction feedback. How can this happen I hear you ask? Well simple. Every guest stays in the hotel is invited to fill in a form anonymously rating each aspect of the place out of 5. They then seal this in a blank envelope and put it in a box in reception, which gets sent to head office. But, once a week the manager empties the box and takes all the envelopes down into his office. He then opens and reads them all, throws away all the dissatisfied ones, and puts the few happy customer ones in new envelopes, and sends them to head office. Head Office then think, great feedback, that hotel is doing brilliantly, and don't know that it's a complete shithole, so they never send anyone to fix the shithole, all the while the manager sits in his office watching his miserable staff go about their miserable jobs, and does nothing at all when anybody mentions they have a problem. if anyone gets signed off sick, they fire them. And they refuse to let anyone join a trade union.

Great place to work is old maximillians diner.

I feel a little rant coming on.

that place is the very bowels of hell. it's the worst run hotel, bar, restaurant and kitchen I have ever had the misfortune to step into. The treat their staff like absolute shit, make you, literally make you sign a waiver form when you start waivering your rights to breaks at work and the law about having a 12 hour rest between finishing work and starting again. People finishh at midnight and start again at 6am, and work without breaks. The management used to let the staff eat the leftover hot food from the breakfast buffet after breakfast finished, but then they decided the staff didn't deserve it, so now every day they just throw the whole lot in the bin. Kitchen staff yell at waiting staff unrepentantly until the waiters are too scared to go into the kitchen, which of course leads to a lot of fuck ups, which the waiting staff get the blame for. This of course leads to high staff turnover because no-one wants to work in these conditions for minimum wage, hence they are always, always short staffed as peoplle just stop turning up for work. This of course leads to more fuck ups due to lack of staff, and new staff not getting trained due to lack of time.

Yet every quarter, it comes on top of the league for guest satisfaction feedback. How can this happen I hear you ask? Well simple. Every guest stays in the hotel is invited to fill in a form anonymously rating each aspect of the place out of 5. They then seal this in a blank envelope and put it in a box in reception, which gets sent to head office. But, once a week the manager empties the box and takes all the envelopes down into his office. He then opens and reads them all, throws away all the dissatisfied ones, and puts the few happy customer ones in new envelopes, and sends them to head office. Head Office then think, great feedback, that hotel is doing brilliantly, and don't know that it's a complete shithole, so they never send anyone to fix the shithole, all the while the manager sits in his office watching his miserable staff go about their miserable jobs, and does nothing at all when anybody mentions they have a problem. if anyone gets signed off sick, they fire them. And they refuse to let anyone join a trade union.

Great place to work is old maximillians diner.

I agree.

My time there (as the laziest most unintersted boss you ever had and probably ever will Elwood) was interesting. I left thinking the Holiday Inn was the exception to the rule and that other hotels would be better managed.

There not. They are all the same and anyone considering a career in hotels should immediately reconsider.

Maybe try prostitution as in hotels its guarenteed some boss somewhere will try and fuck you in the ass. At least as a Hooker you get paid well for it.