aberdeen-music

Skoda Octavia vRS handling

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody had driven the Mk1 Octavia VRS and could comment on the handling of it. I believe the suspension is tuned somewhat over the bog standard Octavia, and haven't read about any trouble with the cornering etc, but how does it compare to the likes of the rear-wheel driven 3 series? When I have been in the likes of an SE spec 320d, without the stiffened suspension found in the sport model, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the precise cornering and handling, but obviously haven't been in a position to throw it around any particularly tight corners.

I used to drive an Octavia estate, and it handled beautifully, held the road really well and it could really move for a big car, great pick up. It was really spacious and comfy inside as well. Managed to fill it with amps and drum kits loads of times. Looked a bit like a hearse though.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

if we are talking about the mark one, then the vrs only had one engine, the 1.8t petrol as found in the mk1 audi TT, the passat and the a4 as well as the mk4 golf gti. it gets around 36 miles to the gallon combined, and its emissions are 192 g/km, making it rather expensive to tax - a definate turn off combined with its group 16 insurance. However, I may still consider it when I change my car.

Guest b-bert

Comparing it to a rear drive bmw is probably a bit unfair. I have never driven either but i know a little about car dynamics as i am currently writing my honours project on car suspension dsign.

BMW claim 50/50 weight distribution which makes for fairly stable handling, though if you push it too hard it may oversteer (often suddenly) so you need to take care.

The skoda will be far more likely to understeer making it more predictable to drive and mistakes potentially less catastrophic.

Personally depends on the money which i would go for. I am a fan of the skoda ranges (apart from that new ugly thing) but i know someone who bought a 350 for quite cheap as well as my flatmate who got a mint M3 for fairly cheap so the skoda may find i hard to compete.

edit: and stuff co2 emissions unless you cant afford the tax

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Comparing it to a rear drive bmw is probably a bit unfair. I have never driven either but i know a little about car dynamics as i am currently writing my honours project on car suspension dsign.

BMW claim 50/50 weight distribution which makes for fairly stable handling, though if you push it too hard it may oversteer (often suddenly) so you need to take care.

The skoda will be far more likely to understeer making it more predictable to drive and mistakes potentially less catastrophic.

Personally depends on the money which i would go for. I am a fan of the skoda ranges (apart from that new ugly thing) but i know someone who bought a 350 for quite cheap as well as my flatmate who got a mint M3 for fairly cheap so the skoda may find i hard to compete.

edit: and stuff co2 emissions unless you cant afford the tax

is the weight distribution really that good on the e46 though? will the skoda pushing 180bhp through the front wheels not suffer from torque steer, or is that what would cause it to understeer? how cheap are we talking here? I ain't made of money, and budgeting for a 320d would be up to 8 grand at a push. this is a lot of money as far as i'm concerned, and i'd be able to get my hands on an octavia for about 5-6 most likely.

edit: the 320d's 140 bucks a year to tax, only group 13 insurance and gets 49 miles to the gallon, so it would be significantly cheaper to run than the Octavia at near enough 200 bucks to tax, group 16 and 36 mpg. ergo, it's not necessarily a 'cheaper' buy.

Guest b-bert

Supposedly it is 50/50. My flatmate has a sound M3 he got for 6kish and the guy i know with a 350 got it for 2k i think. Both around the 'm' reg mark, is this too old? Insurance is another matter depending on your age, 1800 for my 22 year old flatmate fully comp.

Another point to think of is the BMW will have a nicer interior. My parents have a fabia and it is ok but i doubt very much if a vrs will compete with a nice bmw inside.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i was looking for something a bit more modern, the BMW interiors are often not great and i think they've only picked up their interior act since the later e46 models. the 320d got a new engine in sept 01 with 150bph so i would want something from then on. the octavia vrs has half leather and aluminium trim as standard, not to mention funky vRS insignia all over the place

Inside_RS.jpg

DSC08712.jpg

there is no way in god's name i would pay 1800 a year for insurance. i would rather drive a snail-speed car than piss away 150 a month insurance at my age. my current outgoing is 50 bucks a month for a group 13 car (i'm 21, 2 years no claims) and I would probably have to pay another couple of hundred for the year currently for the octavia (insurance is renewed in dec). on the other hand the 320d is the same group as my current car so shouldn't cost a great deal more to insure. is there anything else

there is no way in god's name i would pay 1800 a year for insurance. i would rather drive a snail-speed car than piss away 150 a month insurance at my age.

I had to pay 1800 a year for insurance, for a snail speed car that cost 200 bucks....younger than yourself aswell....you young kids don't know you're living :)

just drive without insurance anyway...they never catch you