aberdeen-music

disrepair notice appointed to my flat

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

last year the council issued a disrepair notice on my tenemant and the one adjacent, and this year the work will be done to sort the bastard out - they're currently going through all the surveys etc. anybody been through this before? the council weren't sure what the costs would be, and won't be until all the quotes and surveys have been completed. I'm curious as to how much it will cost me in the end (they're treating dry rot, re-slating the whole roof etc so it will cost a fucking bomb in total), and VERY curious as to how much the council will fork out. stories please!

last year the council issued a disrepair notice on my tenemant and the one adjacent, and this year the work will be done to sort the bastard out - they're currently going through all the surveys etc. anybody been through this before? the council weren't sure what the costs would be, and won't be until all the quotes and surveys have been completed. I'm curious as to how much it will cost me in the end (they're treating dry rot, re-slating the whole roof etc so it will cost a fucking bomb in total), and VERY curious as to how much the council will fork out. stories please!

One of my staff went through the same thing last year - how many owners are in the affected block?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i own the flat, it's on st clair street. it's blocks 32 and 34, and there are 8 or 9 apartments in my tenement. 10 grand? ouch. so does the council pay any of it? I thought they paid at least 50% of the bill, but that's just what i've heard.

I'll check with her but I seem to remember her saying the council were giving them a grant because their building was a historic site. The council contribution was going to be something like 30% and it was after that was deducted and split between the 10 owners that the bill came to 10grand each.

The good news is that even if some of your neighbours don't want to pay their share, they are elegally bound to.

OK my learned friend has just emailed me the following:

"the council will contribute up to 50% to roof repairs in granite tenement buildings, but there are no guarantees.

"if they slap on a notice of serious disrepair, the work needs to be carried out within a certain time and they will pay the share of anyone who is dragging their feet and then take legal action against them later to recoup the costs."

It's the owner of the flat that'll get the bill, so I'm guessing he's not a tenant.

You guessed right. I just wanted to check. I work for the Council, you see and you don't guess anything. You always ask if someone is a tenant first. The original post didn't black or white say if he was a tenant so that's why I asked.

i own the flat, it's on st clair street. it's blocks 32 and 34, and there are 8 or 9 apartments in my tenement. 10 grand? ouch. so does the council pay any of it? I thought they paid at least 50% of the bill, but that's just what i've heard.

I'll go down to Housing Repairs the morn and find out what I can. I know a few of the folk from there. I believe each case is taken on an individual basis, but I don't like giving advice on something I'm not 100% sure on.

I work for the Council, you see and you don't guess anything.

Really? Perhaps you should pass this information round your work colleagues. I've been given so much duff advice by the council before that I've formed the conclusion that if anyone knows what they're talking about they must work only on the 30th of February between 4.00 and 4.05 am

Really? Perhaps you should pass this information round your work colleagues. I've been given so much duff advice by the council before that I've formed the conclusion that if anyone knows what they're talking about they must work only on the 30th of February between 4.00 and 4.05 am

Really. Does that include me, then?

Obviously I have never had the pleasure of dealing with you, otherwise you would have given me the correct information first time.

To be fair, I have had a lot of info that has proved correct but if they all checked their "facts" first if they weren't 100% sure I would perhaps have less grey hairs than I do now.

You guessed right. I just wanted to check. I work for the Council, you see and you don't guess anything. You always ask if someone is a tenant first. The original post didn't black or white say if he was a tenant so that's why I asked.

I think the council "guessed" how to build the flat I live in....they didn't do a very good job and there are repairs which should have been done in the sixties that have never been done

Obviously I have never had the pleasure of dealing with you, otherwise you would have given me the correct information first time.

To be fair, I have had a lot of info that has proved correct but if they all checked their "facts" first if they weren't 100% sure I would perhaps have less grey hairs than I do now.

I think the council "guessed" how to build the flat I live in....they didn't do a very good job and there are repairs which should have been done in the sixties that have never been done

I'm not sticking up for the Cooncil - quite the opposite.

I just don't want to be associated with the percentage of the workforce who are incapable twats. It's bad enough getting anything done over the phone as a punter. You should try working in the place. The place is ran by idots nowadays.

I never implied the Cooncil was a fantastic, organised 100% trouble and fuck - up free zone. Because it certainly isn't. But I don't lie or guess or decieve. I know what it's like to have it done to yourself. So I wasn't born on 30th of February between 4.00 and 4.05 am neither to blame for repairs which should have been done in the sixties that have never been done. I was only trying to establish what the facts were. In all honesty, I can't be arsed now. No matter - on holiday till Tuesday now. One good thing about working at the Cooncil - the holidays :up:

I'm not sticking up for the Cooncil - quite the opposite.

I just don't want to be associated with the percentage of the workforce who are incapable twats. It's bad enough getting anything done over the phone as a punter. You should try working in the place. The place is ran by idots nowadays.

I never implied the Cooncil was a fantastic, organised 100% trouble and fuck - up free zone. Because it certainly isn't. But I don't lie or guess or decieve. I know what it's like to have it done to yourself. So I wasn't born on 30th of February between 4.00 and 4.05 am neither to blame for repairs which should have been done in the sixties that have never been done. I was only trying to establish what the facts were. In all honesty, I can't be arsed now. No matter - on holiday till Tuesday now. One good thing about working at the Cooncil - the holidays :up:

You're a rare thing in the cooncil, somebody that actually does any work, My partner worked there for a few months, and as soon as those lazy witches figured out that someone was prepared to work rather than skive, guess who got all the work.

She's now working at Napier University and vowing never to work in the public sector again. I think three months was all to took to have her come home in tears most nights.

You're a rare thing in the cooncil, somebody that actually does any work, My partner worked there for a few months, and as soon as those lazy witches figured out that someone was prepared to work rather than skive, guess who got all the work.

She's now working at Napier University and vowing never to work in the public sector again. I think three months was all to took to have her come home in tears most nights.

Tell me about it. We have so many temps working here that simply don't give a fuck. Folk like me who actually care get really pissed off at the lack of effort and amount of passing the buckage. No wonder the Cooncil has such a bad rep.

The problem is it wears most folk down slowly and the realisation that most employees get no thanks for their efforts and inferior pay compared to the private sector means they develop this don't give a shit attitude which is passed on to the public, which is a terrible state of affairs for a local authority to be in.

In all honesty in my section generally speaking we never fuck up our jobs, never go over budget thus save the Council money and actually listen to what people need. That's why we get absolutely no thanks and are shunned by the top brass. Hopefully my section can get the breakaway we all want to get away from the disaster zone that is St. Nicholas House and get invloved with a private company.

Never mind, I'm a happy bunny so sod the rest of them if that's their attitude!