aberdeen-music

Mudd Club

Alan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh the stories...

Got to say that The Palace has had more of an impact on Aberdeen's alternative scene over the last 25 years than anything else aside from possibly One Up.

Somewhere i have a Palace Venue Red T Shirt...

*Somewhere.. i.e either.. Inverness / Aberdeen / Glasgow or London.

I was always quite partial to watching the vintage goths (Phil in particular) doing the actions to Sin, Head Like a Hole and to the line 'Fist Fuck' from Wish.

Oh, the memories. Reading this almost brought a tear to my eye! Shamefully, I also did some of the actions. :p

i wll be so there

Hello fellow moshers..canna wait! Unfortunately I hurt my back pretty badly last year so dancin might not be an option for me!,,,,but i was one of the cheesier blokes that used to frequent the bottom bar all the time and get served in real glasses..they must have trusted us an awful lot. (barmaids were lovely by the way)..bring on some rage against the machine and some violent femmes..and maybe a bit of neds atomic dustbin..and hey y not the wonderstuff........see you there everyone....x

Awesome. If you promised that I'd get to watch my mate put the shoulder he'd dislocated in the scrum that was "Song 2" back in to then go and dance to something pish (probably Terrorvision) then I'd drive up to Aberdeen in a shot for this. If you can get the hot girl that I'd known at primary school in Edinburgh, who I hadn't seen in 8 years, who always tried to make me dance to The Pixies - Debaser in front of her long term boyfriend along as well, that would complete the experience.

But that may have been a Thursday. They were much the same blurry experience in the haze of my memory.

Which was the night that there was always the bloke in the t-shirt ripped to look like ribs dancing hours before anyone else?

Actually, if I've not moved to Dublin, still don't have a job in Edinburgh and can convince people I know in Aberdeen to come out, then I might actually be up for this...

Adam (psydoll) is taking the reins on this one. He's the obvious choice. I'll be doing the pre-club entertainment down at the Bassment, where they've started to do some spiffy drink deals on Monday nights. I can't recall the exact details of said offers, maybe one of the Bassment staff could help me out on this...?

According to Fliss, classic cocktails (the expensive ones) will be the price of normal cocktails. Or something.

nah you had a dance of your very own. the puppet with one string cut dance.

HAHAHAHAHA Oh how I remember this and many more distant memories...

I'm off next week and should be in Aberdeenshire on Monday for recording action - I think I will try make an apperance :up:

I went a few times in the early to mid 90's, a very legendary place, something that, as Ross said, really did shape a fair bit of the alternative scene. My brother rarely missed a Mudd Club in the early 90's - happy days.

Cheers

Stuart

Still can't believe that Grant was your brother..

Fucking LeG END

is there any special entry permission for people who still have their membership cards?

both the paper crappy ones and the elusive shiny silver plastic ones?

- oh and can i put in a request to have a manky leather couch by the door where we can all pile up our leather coats etc so that folk trip over them or get lost in the sea of black leather?

hopefully I wil lbe bumping into faces I havent seen in ages.

heres hoping for a good turnout.

oh the stories...

Got to say that The Palace has had more of an impact on Aberdeen's alternative scene over the last 25 years than anything else aside from possibly One Up.

Hmmm .. I'd say that The Venue had more of an impact than The Palace. But make that 18 years and I'm in full agreement.

is there any special entry permission for people who still have their membership cards?

both the paper crappy ones and the elusive shiny silver plastic ones?

- oh and can i put in a request to have a manky leather couch by the door where we can all pile up our leather coats etc so that folk trip over them or get lost in the sea of black leather?

hopefully I wil lbe bumping into faces I havent seen in ages.

heres hoping for a good turnout.

I'm not going if there aren't massive mould patches on the wall :)

Oh and the carpet has to be so dirty that you can't even see the pattern on it any more, it's just a weird brown colour.

And I'd like a vodka with flat, syrupy cola please!

Man I loved that place!

Big Rock Boy once did a forward roll to Breathe by the Prodigy! That was the classiest dance move I ever saw anywhere! On such a sticky surface, too - he must weigh 250lbs!

This was during the "Dance Music" section of Monday nights which reliably went:

"Rockerfella Skank" - "Renegade Master" - "It's Like That" -" Body Movin'" - "Breathe"

every week.

Wild Cards to follow these tunes included "Bentley's Gonna Sort you out" - "Satan" or "Fool's Gold"

Anyone from this era will know that when one of these tunes gets to the end of the track you find yourself thinking of the intro of the next song subconciously!

Did anyone else get served a true classic - the "drip tray pint" where in order to compensate for the time wasted getting the barrell changed the lucky punter would receive the contents of the drip tray to top up their already lacking in fizz pint, therefore condemning it to what can only be described as an illegal and morally unwholsome act of treachery. That's why I got hooked on Woodpecker. It was cider, but who gave a fuck - it was a pound, fresh as can be and got you pished. Didn't matter that it tasted like Hell in a liquid form in a bottle - It did it's job!

Everyone getting up in unison when "Killing in the Name" came on was always a favourite! "Know Your Enemy" did the job, too! Latterly, "Guerilla Radio" never quite fared the same!

"Been Caught Stealing" is a song that always make me think of the Palace, along with "Head Like A Hole." True classics!

Those stairs were a nightmare. And then you got to the actual bogs themselves!!!

MARSH - another blast from the past............just cos yer married doesn't mean you canna go anymore....and Rob as well........

Wish they played ANNIE CHRISTIAN like......your tales of the past there were spot on.....There needs to be the same cameraderie in the street after, plus a collection of lassies crying in the toilets due to boyfriend stuff, as well as being told by their pals by the mirror that they really are thin, plus the blocked bogs and the hand-dryer that never worked.

and woodpecker cider....I've never bought that anywhere else. A tasty drink that was......could go on and on and on....but won't!

BIG thanks to all who came along last night,personally i thought it was awsome,Big thank you also to Adam(almost a legend) and to all the staff at Live for making it an enjoyable evening.

More of the same next week,same place,same time,see you all there again hopefully:popcorn:

Oh and when was the last time anyone heard an ovation like that for a DJ after a night,i struggle to remember anything like that:up: