aberdeen-music

Mudd Club

Alan

Remember that sticky carpet, leaky roof, dodgy pints, funny smells then youll remember the Mudd Club in all its glory.

Unfortunately we cant recreate all those but we will jog your memory by playing the songs that once were dance floor fillers many moons ago at the old Palace nightclub.

So wipe the dust off those old doc martins, find that faded favourite band t shirt and join us at Live(next to the office bar) on Monday the 16th of April for a night of nostalgia Mudd Club style.

Doors 10.30pm

Admission - 3.00/2.00 with flyer b4 midnight

Selected drinks @ 1.50

i433366_MUDDFLYER2.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of "selected drinks @ 1.50" can we have undrinkable fizzy piss for a pound? That'll bring back memories.

You got a fizzy pint,you were one of the lucky ones then.I remember being confronted by an irate customer shouting in my face 'this pints cloudy'to which i repied 'what do you expect for a pound,thunder and lightning' (boom boom):popcorn:

Dear me, I'd forgotten how bad the pints were. Reading Chris' post has just given me a craving for a pint of McEwans in a plastic cup.

Thinking back, I don't understand why that building wasn't condemned years before it closed down. Incidentally Alan, what was 2nd and 3rd floors? I once heard a rumour there was an old concert hall with a cinema screen up there?!?!

Dear me, I'd forgotten how bad the pints were. Reading Chris' post has just given me a craving for a pint of McEwans in a plastic cup.

Thinking back, I don't understand why that building wasn't condemned years before it closed down. Incidentally Alan, what was 2nd and 3rd floors? I once heard a rumour there was an old concert hall with a cinema screen up there?!?!

The palace was a cinima b4 it was converted into a club,all they did was build a false roof from the balcony and left the top half of the cinima as it was,you could still get access to the balcony from the doors across form where the mens toilets were and from there you could still make out where the screen was and get into the projection room,hated having to go up there,so many stories of hauntings etc,i believe it is still the same today

I remember one night at the Mudd Club drinking about 10 pints of that pish and still not being drunk...

I would come along to this, but work on Tuesday prevents me.

The palace was a cinima b4 it was converted into a club,all they did was build a false roof from the balcony and left the top half of the cinima as it was,you could still get access to the balcony from the doors across form where the mens toilets were and from there you could still make out where the screen was and get into the projection room,hated having to go up there,so many stories of hauntings etc,i believe it is still the same today

That sounds really cool I would have liked to have alook around. The place is so different these days, and I mean structurally as well as the music, there's walls and staircases and toilets everywhere, that never used to be, when I am in liquid now (which is rare), I can't even pick out places in the palace from how it used to be, or think "this must have been where the old DJ booth was" it's like a different building.

That sounds really cool I would have liked to have alook around. The place is so different these days, and I mean structurally as well as the music, there's walls and staircases and toilets everywhere, that never used to be, when I am in liquid now (which is rare), I can't even pick out places in the palace from how it used to be, or think "this must have been where the old DJ booth was" it's like a different building.

The managers at liquid are nice guys,im sure if you arranged it with them you could have a look around the upper level,im almost certian the old cinima balcony and projection rooms are still there

I'm curious with all this talk of Mudd reunion. As someone else said there is the problem of the vast majority of the Mudd's old customers proberly not having tuesday off, but if you could include the following I may be tempted:

Woodpecker Cider for 'a poun'

Nine inch nails - head like a hole

Nobody on the danceflooor for 'Cecil redwine at deadtime' at about 10.15pm

Star Wars music right at the start of the evening

Bashed up sofas positioned around the venue

Ska/punk section halfway through the evening with amusing 'chicken dance' punks in the centre for the duration of the madness/capdown/china drum wuthering heights cover

Long trek to the toilets up unreasonably steep when drunk stairs

Every musical request to be written down then ignored

Do we have a deal? :up:

It doesn't matter if it's britpop era or nu-metal era. The music was the bloody same all the time!

That's pretty much true actually, there was a list of about 30 songs you could guarantee were going to be on every monday (every week I refused to hit the dancefloor until "Pretend Best Friend" by Terrorvision came on. If it was at the start of the night I could bop away all night. If it came at the end, I could only dance for ten minutes. the only one I made an exception for was some Reef song that I always danced to regardless of whether Terrorvision had been on by then. I can't actually remember which song it was... Place Your Hands perhaps? Though I have a feeling it was something off Rides.:popcorn:

Every musical request to be written down then ignored

Oh man. That was always fun. We'd ask for something from Jane's addiction or the Sisters and they'd shout write it down, so we'd write Whitney Houston or that crap song by Brian Adams from the Robin Hood film.

How humourous were we?

But like most of the posts on this thread, I'm old now. I have to work. Most of my MuddClub mates have left the country but I will open a tin of crap lager, spill part of it on the floor to get that sticky floor thing going and put Jesus built my hotrod on my ipod and try to remember the good times. Or at least email my mates so they can remind me what I did 'cos I was too pished to remember.

pete

inthehills

It doesn't matter if it's britpop era or nu-metal era. The music was the bloody same all the time!

I have to agree to a certian extent with this comment.The reunion on the 16ths music policy will be what you will have heard at the Palace and the weeks following will be a mix of both old and new.

Everyone has there own opinions and memories of the Mudd Club personally i have only good ones, yes the Palace was falling apart, yes you could sometimes set your watch by the music being played and yes the lager could strip paint but i wouldnt have changed that part of my life for anything, made alot of good friends and possibly a few enemies in my time at the Palace and hopefully by doing Mudd again will bring back some memories to us oldies and create new ones for the younger generation out there.

The other classic mudd club routine was when that jason nevins vs run-dmc song came on and there was a huge circle formed and people tried to breakdance whilst pished.

Awesome.

Yas! Never quite seen it replicated as humourously in Moshulu sadly, it was the ultimate berkfest.