aberdeen-music

crap cup competitions....

delboy

been a fair few over the years, some of my faves

the anglo italien cup - was run in the 70's then some bright spark decided to re-invent it in the mid 90's. in the 90's featured division 1 (or tier 2 of english football) and serie b clubs. cambridge actually played in the competion!!! the opening round was groups of either 3 or 4 teams from from the same country so effectively you were playing fellow league sides in a (reletively) meaningless game (decent for playing youngsters and fringe players i suppose) with either one or two clubs progressing to play serie b clubs over 2 legs till the final which was usually held at wembley i think. cambridge actually came very close to going through, we needed to beat birmingham to progress, were 3-1 up but conceded late goals to make the score 3-3 and thwart probably our only chance of ever playing european football :(

Anglo-Italian Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the anglo scottish cup - oh even better as far as crap cups go. i remember a hun telling me his first match at ibrox was an anglo scottish cup tie against that footballing giant chesterfield - rangers lost 1-0! funnily enough according to the wikepedia page chesterfield are the current champions!

Anglo-Scottish Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

texaco cup - pre runner to the anglo scottish cup, like most things in the 70's a really bad idea

Texaco Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

football league trophy - has had loads of different names - the ldv cup, sherpa vans trophy, autoglass (depending on the sponsor which currently is johnstone's paint), i have fond memories of watching our reserves play in the early rounds of this competition which no manager takes seriously until the regional final. cambridge did make the final in 2002 only to get trounced by blackpool (i have the video recorded from ITV digital!!!!) and the fucking cunts don't let any conference teams compete in it any more as they often beat the league team reserves (we did last season beat chester and doncaster reserves in the competition). we weren't even that excited about getting to the final in 2002 as we were all but relegated from the league but my sister said it was a nice day out...

Football League Trophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the watney cup - another short lived 70's competition that proved to be utterly pointless

Watney Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

full members cup - created in the aftermarth of the heysel stadium disaster, remember this competition well - not taken very seriously by the teams that bothered to enter, a lot of the top sides couldnt be arsed!

Full Members Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scottish league challenge cup - what a great concept - a tournament for non SPL clubs, that'll pull the crowds in!!! still it has been going some time, so some interest must be there but still ultimately a crap cup competition...

Scottish League Challenge Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there must be more out there....

Guest DustyDeviada
aye that is indeed poinless, i remember man poo playing in it in brazil back in 2000 and they got gubbed.

That's right, did they not refuse to play in the FA cup that season or something so that they could play in the World Club thingy? It was right after they won the treble so they were totally up themselves.

That's right, did they not refuse to play in the FA cup that season or something so that they could play in the World Club thingy? It was right after they won the treble so they were totally up themselves.

yes they did, as i recall they didnt take part in the FA Cup at all that year (though they may have just got a bye on a couple of rounds), it was highly controversial at the time. the bbc showed it, was a nice holiday for linekar and hanson, but the football was pretty dire.

The Tennents Sixes, that was fucking ace!

The true test of who the best footballers are! To my memory I think it was always the lesser teams that won because the top team would send their diddies? I found some Tennents sixes on video a few years ago and was treated to a youthful Gerry McNee interviewing Tosh McKinlay on the achievement of scoring the 1,000th Tennents sixes goal. Rivetting stuff. :up:

I'd like to see an Anglo-Scottish Cup instead of the league cups. I don't think I could really sell the idea other than saying I'd like to see how Scottish Football really compares to English. Stranraer V's Chelsea. Mouthwatering.

The true test of who the best footballers are! To my memory I think it was always the lesser teams that won because the top team would send their diddies? I found some Tennents sixes on video a few years ago and was treated to a youthful Gerry McNee interviewing Tosh McKinlay on the achievement of scoring the 1,000th Tennents sixes goal. Rivetting stuff. :up:

I'd like to see an Anglo-Scottish Cup instead of the league cups. I don't think I could really sell the idea other than saying I'd like to see how Scottish Football really compares to English. Stranraer V's Chelsea. Mouthwatering.

in principle the idea of the anglo scottish cup could be quite exciting, problem was when they ran it in the late 70's none of the top english sides could be bothered and the old firm just stuck out the reserves and fringe players. a proper 16 team (top 8 in each premier league) competition could be quite good but you can bet your bottom dollar the sides wouldnt take it very seriously and in any case it would just congest the fixture list even more especially for the sides playing in europe.

i remember the tennents sixes well - it was a great competition!

but as far as useless, irrelivant utterly pointless cups go i'd have to say the cambridgeshire professional cup wins hands down i feel! so crap doesnt even have a wikepedia page on it!!!! but cambridge are the current holders and at least we won a trophy this season (and a nice trophy it is too!). some info on it i found on our website...

Not much call for the Old Bill at the Glass World, where 858 eager souls gathered for the first final of the season, and let's face it, the best chance for either club to gather some silverware over the next ten months. United first competed for the CPC, and won it, in 1958-59, defeating our old pals City in the semi-final before crushing Wisbech Town 8-3 on aggregate in the two-legged final.

The early Sixties were the Cup's golden age as crowds regularly in the 5-7,000 bracket attended United and City's annual jousts, until it all turned sour in 1968 when a freshly-relegated City turned up at the Abbey for a second leg which finished prematurely in a mass brawl as spectators joined players on the pitch in the mother (sorry, ZZ) of all punch-ups.

Things were never the same after that. The competition limped on irregularly throughout the 70s and 80s, usually pitting United against local opposition selected by the Cambs FA, until things got silly in the 90s and visitors to the Abbey included Coventry, Forest, a Canadian Olympic XI and Chester City, who actually won it. Their supporters must still read their list of honours and say "How the hell did we win THAT??"

The U's last competed for the CPC in 1997, defeating City at Milton Road in front of a rapt crowd of 223, and since then United have left their non-League rivals to it. Only now, we're non-League too (sorry to remind you!).

Guest Jake Wifebeater
My step-dad was just telling me about a cup in the early 70s called the Dryburgh Cup? Does anybody remember anything about this? He was sure that they did away with the offisde rule for this competition.

Aye, the Drybrough Cup ran for a few seasons in the early 1970's, but not many teams issued programmes for the games (cunts). I think the Sheepies won it in 1970.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

The only diddy cup worth winning is the Fife Cup. Took in the semi-final in 2002 against Burntisland Shipyard, who took the lead! BS have the funniest supporters in the entire world, any shot within 20 feet of the goal greeted by an earth-shattering "OHHHHHHHH!". Eventually cuffed them 5-1.

scottish league challenge cup - what a great concept - a tournament for non SPL clubs, that'll pull the crowds in!!! still it has been going some time, so some interest must be there but still ultimately a crap cup competition...

I saw ICT lift that trophy a couple of years ago. A very drunken train journey, followed by a extremely drunken pub jaunt in Perth, then i was sick, then got the bus to McDiarmid Park, was sick again outside the ground... followed by vague recollections of us beating Airdrie :love:

McDiarmid Park even had those terrible cut out fans behind both goals. As apposed to Celtic who have lifeless, wooden fans in every area of the ground... :popcorn:

The Aberdeenshire Cup which the Dons sometimes enter? Deveronvale, Huntly, Buckie, Locos, Cove and possibly others? I think it exists.

It does. There's another Highland cup which gives to two finalists entry into the Scottish cup. Can't believe no-one has mentioned the Kirin Cup yet ;)

It does. There's another Highland cup which gives to two finalists entry into the Scottish cup. Can't believe no-one has mentioned the Kirin Cup yet ;)

Someone start a "most valuable small cup competition involving Japan, Bulgaria and Scotland" thread and I will. Check this out with funky soundtrack

• 1 month later...

how could i forget the conference league cup? a competition so crap it only ran for one season and doesn't even have a wikipedia page!!!! did find a page about it on the BBC website mind and its so diddy the two finalists tossed a coin to dictate which ground the final was played at!!!

BBC SPORT | Football | Non League | Murray seals Cards' Cup triumph

• 6 months later...
how could i forget the conference league cup? a competition so crap it only ran for one season and doesn't even have a wikipedia page!!!! did find a page about it on the BBC website mind and its so diddy the two finalists tossed a coin to dictate which ground the final was played at!!!

BBC SPORT | Football | Non League | Murray seals Cards' Cup triumph

sorry to quote meself but the conference league cup has been resurrected by setanta as the setanta shield featuring the blue square premier sides and the blue square north/south teams. on the plus side it gets on the telly if you have a setanta subscription. but as dinky cups go its up there with the best of em!:up:

• 11 months later...