aberdeen-music

Home Office split

Having said that, the police and homeland security are a couple of the very few things I'm actually happy to let the government spend my money on.

"homeland security"? I think you're forgetting which country you live in. "national security" is the proper term, and doesn't have the fascist connotations of "homeland" as rather bizarrely used by the americans, and "fatherland" as used by the nazis.

National security in this country is handled by MI5 anyway, not the home office.

"We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning

to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later

in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing;

and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress

while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."

Gaius Petronius Arbiter - 210 BC

Well, what else were they going to call it? Ministry of Lollipops? The Department of Happy Joy-Joy?

"Accidents" have been happening for a long time, and probably will continue to do so. Changing the name of the department won't make any difference. As long as it works better than the current system and and allows the police, security services and those working to combat terrorism to work together more efficiently and in a more integrated fashion, I'm all for it.

I would totally apply for a job at the ministry of lollipops.

Sounds like various reasons for doing this.

When one department messes up they only have to fire one cabinet minister. The prime minister keeps an additional croney.

Conservaties suggested the idea which means Labour will rubbish it at first then copy it.

Home Office can now spend most of it's time running the police and can get someone else to spend their times vandalising the courts instead.

Over the top anti-terrotist legislation which vandalises the legal system still comes from the home office.

My suspicion is that a 'bruiser' or whatever they are called i.e Clarke, Blunket, Reid will run the home office and a loyalist i.e milliband will run the new department.

disclaimer: I made all that up.