aberdeen-music

Favorite Scottish music venue?

jf9tp2wd40

If it's Bannermans you mean, the desk in inside the venue...the only real problem with Bannermans is the deafening volume. Cabaret Voltaire is ace though.

If it is the same place try hanging about the mixing position, no chance of getting defeaned there. It is, as i said,essentially in a different room.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Aberdeen I'd go for The Tunnels.

Elsewhere, Fat Sam's in Dundee is pretty good. And I saw Pavement at the School Of Art in Glasgow about ten years ago. Great venue.

Thats the second time I've read about you seeing Pavement, one more time and I'm going to kill you in a jealous rage.

Three strikes and you are out.

Guest Callum, Underflow

Yeah Tunnels deffinetly the best small venue.

For bigger venues it used to be Barras, but recently went to ABC in Glasgow for the first time which was an awesome venue.

PS - The beer at the Tunnels is great, especially Staropramen.:up:

I don't get all the praise for The Tunnels, it's OK, and I've seen/played some great gigs there (Jason Ringenberg, Lightning Bolt, that show when I split my head open with a pint glass); but the sound is inconsistent and drink is pretty expensive. In terms of playing I'd rather be at The Moorings.

I think Ben might referring to Cabaret Voltaire before it changed hands a while back. Before the new-ish management took it on it was SHITE. The sound was shit, the engineer had a bigger ego than any musician I've ever met, and it was 3.50 for a pint of warm piss. It's apparently alot better now.

I'm with Binky on The Barras, it's the best place to see bigger bands in Scotland. Legendary venue.

i'm a fan of the barras anyone ever noticed theres glow in the dark stars on the roof? took me a few visits to realise that

as for aberdeen i quite like moshulu when its busy and the tunnels is good lemon tree aint bad either.

never been to edinburgh for a gig would like to see the ;iquid rooms and the corn exchange at some point.

I don't get all the praise for The Tunnels, it's OK, and I've seen/played some great gigs there (Jason Ringenberg, Lightning Bolt, that show when I split my head open with a pint glass); but the sound is inconsistent and drink is pretty expensive. In terms of playing I'd rather be at The Moorings.

If Moorings put on more gigs and more gigs I wanted to go to then it'd be up there for me. When I've been there it's been great, but they only do 1 gig a week and it's rarely a line up that appeals to me enough to wander down.

As it stands the Tunnels gets my vote in Aberdeen because I've been to loads of gigs there and I've had a good time at almost every one. I also don't think the sound is as inconsistent as some people make out. I can only think of a couple of gigs were the sound hasn't been up to standard to be honest.

Guest Callum, Underflow
By the way:

Has anybody tried the 'La Chouffe' beers? Can get them at most Oddbins...

Belgian beers are the best. Apparently there's one trappist beer that you can only get in limited quantities and you need to register with passport in order to get any...

Sorry to go off point but yeah la chouffe is amazing. I had it at cafe 52 once and didn't realise that it's over 7% or something and comes in a wine bottle size. Then wondered why i felf a bit tippsey when i left.

To go back to the point, i think the sound in the Tunnels is great. I think the sound desk may of used to be tempremental so when anyone other than Jenny was using it, the sound was a bit off. they have since got a new one which seems to have solved that problem.

Not been to a great number but I will write my opinion of all I can think of.

Clyde Auditorium (armidolo part of SECC) - The best venue of any kind I have been to for instrumental music. Comfy seats, great atmosphere, great room acoustics and PA. Especailly designed venue for amplified music.

SECC - too big for indoor gigs in my opinion, terrible room acoustics and full of people who throw stuff and push people around trying to be 'rock n roll'. If you want to jump up and down and don't care about hearing and seeing a band it is probably good but not for me.

Glasgow Concert Hall - Like the Clyde Auditorium but lacks atmosphere and the seats aren't placed as nicely so you can end up in an 'alcove' where bass reflects nastily or sitting somewhere where you have to turn your neck 60 degrees+ for the entire gig. The bar is also stupidly overpriced.

Glasgow Academy - Probably a similar size to Aberdeen Music hall or slightly bigger but has better room acoustics and stage. Good venue as a significant step down from SECC and such.

Aberdeen Music Hall - Great for orchestras etc. but not for amplified music. Can have good atmosphere and is quite a nice size but the room acoutics are bad for amplified music.

Aberdeen Beach Ballroom - Similar to music hall but possibly have slightly better room acoustics (or maybe just better sound the time I went). Slightly peculiar layout and stage.

The Tunnels - quite good, does a lot of gigs. Pints are overpriced at bar. Sound is average (depends on night, to an extent) but far too loud.

The Moorings - exceptionally good quality sound, large selected of fairly priced drinks at bar, good atmosphere, nice layout.

Drummonds - does a lot of gigs, PA tends to be ridiculolusly loud and is not particularly uncommon to hear the gig across union street outside McDonalds. Quite good atmosphere but generally not as good as Moorings or Tunnels.

The Lemon Tree - atmosphere is usually average, layout works for some events better than others, beer is too easy to drink for some reason. PA is fairly good (depends on band and engineer largely).

The Forum - not been to a proper gig there but would like to. Has a large stage which is good for bands with lively stage presence, layout is ideal if a band managed to draw a substancial crowd. Would have the feel of a large venue when it isn't actually that large.

Moshulu - quite good, acoustics are ok and atmosphere depends on night and bands.

Overall I would say Moorings is my favourite small venue and Clyde Auditorium is my favourite of the larger venues. The SECC is my least favourite venue.

Drummonds - does a lot of gigs, PA tends to be ridiculolusly loud and is not particularly uncommon to hear the gig across union street outside McDonalds.

I don't get this one, I stand outside Drummonds a lot and never really hear the bands unless the door is open so how it carries to McDonalds is beyond me, in fact at the weekend there's some people play in the entrance to the Trinity centre that are way louder outside Drummonds than Drummonds is.

The thing about Caberet Voltaire though is a third of the way from the stage the wall comes in from the side and the roof making everything comeback at you onstage. Its absolute aids! I've never heard a band sound good there unless you're stood 5 yards from the stage.

I'm not meaning to pick a fight or anything, but from the shows I've seen or played, this has never been a problem, whether I've been onstage, watching a band at the front, or standing elsewhere in the crowd.

If Moorings put on more gigs and more gigs I wanted to go to then it'd be up there for me. When I've been there it's been great, but they only do 1 gig a week and it's rarely a line up that appeals to me enough to wander down.

Thank You for those kind words.

We'll only ever host gigs on a Saturday night (although there is also an open stage on Sunday evenings). The Moorings is first and foremost a bar, and that's what pays the bills!

But every Saturday we really do go for it LOL. It's the highlight of our week :)

I don't get this one, I stand outside Drummonds a lot and never really hear the bands unless the door is open so how it carries to McDonalds is beyond me, in fact at the weekend there's some people play in the entrance to the Trinity centre that are way louder outside Drummonds than Drummonds is.

I maybe exagerated my claim slightly, the one time I could hear it across Union Street at McDonalds (very clearly), it was fairly empty inside and I think my ears rang the next day(s) (if not much longer than that). My friend also went to a gig a few weeks a go and had his ears ringing for 2 days afterwards.

I have been to drummonds when it was almost the correct volume but it is usually unhealthily loud.

Tunnels is simularly loud. I like to listen to rock music loud but there is a limit to what is acceptable. Mine must be less than most people's (or sound engineers).

--Mark--

I maybe exagerated my claim slightly, the one time I could hear it across Union Street at McDonalds (very clearly), it was fairly empty inside and I think my ears rang the next day(s) (if not much longer than that). My friend also went to a gig a few weeks a go and had his ears ringing for 2 days afterwards.

I have been to drummonds when it was almost the correct volume but it is usually unhealthily loud.

Tunnels is simularly loud. I like to listen to rock music loud but there is a limit to what is acceptable. Mine must be less than most people's (or sound engineers).

--Mark--

Knowing the Drummonds rig and how loud it can go, I must assume that your friend was down near the speakers/band before their ears were ringing for two days, I've never had ringing ears after a drummonds gig(but I never go further forward than halfway between the mixing desk and the stage, the bands backline tends to take over after that and you can't beat physics so no point trying) , whereas one song at soundcheck is normally enough at the Tunnels.

Drummonds is the worst for ringing ears in aberdeen i'd say, admittadly im usually down the front, but thats the same in every venue... moorings is never bad, moshulu and tunnels are usually okay aswel.

If you're down the front it's the band's backline that's causing the ringing (cos you're in the middle and won't be able to hear the PA), or your own stupidity at standing right in front of the PA.