aberdeen-music

Favorite Scottish music venue?

jf9tp2wd40

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tunnels! and I went to one in Glasgow which I liked but now I can't remember whether it was Mono or Stereo. ?( I haven't been to many Scottish venues really but in England the Oxford Zodiac is ace and the Wheatsheaf for smaller gigs (although it really needs some kind of ventilation system).

the tunnels. good atmosphere, good sound and good beer. what more can you possibly want?

It doesn't have good beer. It has overpriced lager and guinness. Neither of which qualify.

But it's my favourite Aberdeen venue.

I really liked the ABC when I went to see Mastodon. The layout was great but unfortunately the sound that night wasn't. At the time I thought it was because the sound desk was upstairs on the balcony and not at the same level as the majority of punters but I'd need to go to more gigs there to decide if it's that or it was just a bad night. If the sound had been perfect (and it was just the mix that was wrong, the PA itself sounded awesome, they just had the drums too loud) then I'd say it's up there.

...it was just the mix that was wrong, the PA itself sounded awesome, they just had the drums too loud...

I don't understand. Were the drums too loud, or was the mix wrong? One or the other...

I think my favourite venue really depends on the type of gig. I've had good and bad experiences at most places. But I'd say overall I've pretty much never had a bad gig at Drakes (either one) and I don't think I've ever really had a good time at Kef.

I don't understand. Were the drums too loud, or was the mix wrong? One or the other...

The sound of the drums coming through the PA was too loud and overpowered the rest of the instruments (Mastodon have a fucking phenomenal drummer but as much as I wanted to hear him, I wanted to also hear the rest of the band). Which in my mind means the sound mix in the PA is wrong. Do you take mix to mean something else?

It doesn't have good beer. It has overpriced lager and guinness. Neither of which qualify.

But it's my favourite Aberdeen venue.

You're only saying that cause it doesn't have belhaven best. It has some great european beers on tap which are priced on a par with other bars in aberdeen. It would be nice to see more real ales though.

You're only saying that cause it doesn't have belhaven best. It has some great european beers on tap which are priced on a par with other bars in aberdeen. It would be nice to see more real ales though.

No it has european lagers. It would be nice to have one option for people who don't want a pint of yellow fizz or overpriced irish stout. Real ale would be good, but probably wouldn't sell enough in there, although maybe something with a bit of brand recognition like Deuchars would. Belhaven, Velvet, Ember, John Smiths or something along those lines would be a reasonable compromise I think.

The sound of the drums coming through the PA was too loud and overpowered the rest of the instruments (Mastodon have a fucking phenomenal drummer but as much as I wanted to hear him, I wanted to also hear the rest of the band). Which in my mind means the sound mix in the PA is wrong. Do you take mix to mean something else?

i thought he was making a drummer joke!

Lemon Tree is good when its not packed out, last couple of times i've been there for ForwardRussia and TCTC have been good but its a pain trying to get a pint or piss when its sold out. And that feckin piller!

I've always liked the Forum when i've been there.

The slope on the Carling Academy makes it easy to see anywhere and gigs in the ABC and QMU have all been class when i've been there. Seein Biffy in June at the Barras will be the first time i've been there, cannae wait!

Its all about the bands at the end of the day though!

ARE YOU TAKING THE PISS???????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh...oh right, I didn't know this thread was "Some other guy from the messageboard, who you've never met and don't give a shit about's favourite Scottish venue."

Every time I've played there the sound engineer, and sound, has been at least above average, the layout of the venue is good for both gigs and clubnights, hospitality is better than any other venue I've played/been to in Scotland and lastly, drink prices are reasonable, some drinks being cheap, in fact.

No, I'm not taking the piss.

Oh, and it took you a long time to start laughing there. Whole lot of AAAAAAAAAAAAs. Strange.

Oh...oh right, I didn't know this thread was "Some other guy from the messageboard, who you've never met and don't give a shit about's favourite Scottish venue."

Every time I've played there the sound engineer, and sound, has been at least above average, the layout of the venue is good for both gigs and clubnights, hospitality is better than any other venue I've played/been to in Scotland and lastly, drink prices are reasonable, some drinks being cheap, in fact.

CV is my favourite venue in Edinburgh, mostly because the PA is decent and you're actually in the same room and roughly the same height as the punters. What's the place round the corner on Cowgate, Bannerman's? That's a joke, the mixing desk isn't even in the same room as the band.

There's no venue in Glasgow (that I've been to) that really floats my boat but Cathouse is closest to ticking all the boxes (same reasons as CV).