aberdeen-music

worst signings

delboy

in the same vein as me manager threads what do you considor the worst signings you've ever seen??? no point in listing some of the journeymen and nobodies cambridge have signed over the last few seasons!!!

raphael at celtic and albert luque at newcastle were pretty darn gash.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nature_1

ostenstadt was hilariously bad! along with jesper christiansen, ronald waterreus (sp?) towards the end of his gers tenure, hamed namouchi, tore andre flo, theo snelders (was decent for aberdeen though!) ...could go on for days here :D

as for celtic, we've had some belters, including rafael, olivier tebily (who's became a half decent player now), regi blinker, rab douglas, henri camara, mo camara, david fernandes, steve guppy.....

again, could go on for days.

...worst bit of business at Pittodrie was surely Paul "Bastard" Bernard for 1.2m.

From a financial point of view closely followed by Brian O'Neill (800,000) and Ilian Kiriakov (I think it was about 600,000?)

Also Jamie McQuilken and about 20 pointless Scandinavians over the years whose names I forget.

chris sutton at chelsea was an expensive misfit but to be fair he's been very solid at all the other clubs he's played for.

the mention of harald brattback made me chuckle - had forgotten about him! he was so useless at celtic. i remember seeing him miss about 10 easy chances in a game once. but did he not score against in europe after he left??

ostenstadt was hilariously bad! along with jesper christiansen, ronald waterreus (sp?) towards the end of his gers tenure, hamed namouchi, tore andre flo, theo snelders (was decent for aberdeen though!) ...could go on for days here :D

as for celtic, we've had some belters, including rafael, olivier tebily (who's became a half decent player now), regi blinker, rab douglas, henri camara, mo camara, david fernandes, steve guppy.....

again, could go on for days.

Guppy doesn't deserve to be there, he was a decent squad player.

Regi Blinker was responsible for one of my favourite own goals ever. I dunno how he managed to beat his own keeper from that far out with such a soft back-header.

Helder Postiga (Spurs)- Waste of money. 1 fucking goal. Now free-scoring in portugal again. Twat

Sergei Rebrov (Spurs)- I have no words for his contribution to English football.

Vahid Hashemian (Bayern)- At least he kept the bench warm and made up the numbers at club functions.

Guest DustyDeviada
Regi Blinker was responsible for one of my favourite own goals ever. I dunno how he managed to beat his own keeper from that far out with such a soft back-header.

Think I remember that, if memory serves it was the first game of the season, against Celtic, and we ended up winning 3-2, Hignett's first game.

I would agree that Pepper is one of the worst, a knee jerk signing after losing Hignett. But I would defend Winters and Bernard. Yes, the price we paid for both was silly, but they were both decent enough players for the club.

Anyone remember Fabiano? Took ages to sign him, and everyone was making him out to be some sort of footballing god. But he was balls.

...worst bit of business at Pittodrie was surely Paul "Bastard" Bernard for 1.2m.

A true class player. "Bastard" is well out of order :swearing:

After a more than promising start to his Aberdeen career he was crippled by injury.

People always forget that when he first came here he was a revelation. It was only because he suffered a cruciate injury he ended his career at Plymouth and St Johnstone.

Fair comment if he had cost a million and was just a shite player but at the time he was a great signing. Injuries just ruined him.

Richie Byrne is up there for the dons.

He's not that bad. I can think of worse. And he'll be back soon to keep all his "followers" amused. If some of the wasters in our squad showed the same comittment as Richie we would be sitting proudly in second place in the league at the moment.

And the mighty Nigel Pepper.

Of course. My vote for worst signing ever.

Robbie Winters (for 800,000 + Billy Dodds). INSANITY!

Dunno what the fuck Alex Miller was thinking.

That still gives me nightmares to this day.

guppy ended up plying his trade at stevenage in the conference - i think he's gone to play in america now.

another misfit i have a real soft spot for is tommy johnson at celtic. he never really really got a fair crack of the whip mind - was very injury prone and then was kept out the picture for a while under john barnes, and under martin o neill was kept out the side by larsson and sutton. i'll never forget his goal that clinched the title for celtic against st mirren in 2000 - he almost fluffed one of the easiest chances i've ever seen! he was too playing in the conference last season at tamworth and last heard playing for some obscure part time team well done the non league pyramid.

another misfit i have a real soft spot for is tommy johnson at celtic. he never really really got a fair crack of the whip mind - was very injury prone and then was kept out the picture for a while under john barnes, and under martin o neill was kept out the side by larsson and sutton. i'll never forget his goal that clinched the title for celtic against st mirren in 2000 - he almost fluffed one of the easiest chances i've ever seen! he was too playing in the conference last season at tamworth and last heard playing for some obscure part time team well done the non league pyramid.

He did score against us in the CIS Cup Final 2000. As did Vidar Riseth who was also pretty pish....

TJ scored 18 goals in 35 games for us, which is alight. Admittedly, this was over 4 seasons.