aberdeen-music

worst manager you've had???

delboy

Sauzee at Hibs? He was pretty balls if memory serves. And Dalglish has to take some of the blame for the Barnes debacle IMO.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about him. Great player, shit manager, and the fans still went ballistic when he got sacked. And booed poor Bobby Williamson for like a year afterwards.

There's a train of thought that suggests that a good manager can just be in the wrong job, and any number of reasons or circumstances can arise making them appear to be shit. You, know, good managers don't become bad managers overnight, but he may just have a clash of personalities with the squad, or there may be circumstances the fans don't know about, like the chairman ordering player sales, or the start striker being a lazy primadonna who wont train properly. Like, for example, Craig Levein, did brilliantly at Hearts, and is doing a great job at Dundee United, but he was absolute pish at Leicester City and got sacked. Craig is a good manager so why did he appear to be shit at Leicester? (Apart from buying a bunch of SPL rejects). Though in saying that, I guess the opposite is also true, and a shit manager can look good if circumstances and things are going his way, like having a really determined team, or good coaches. I don't really know what point I'm trying to make by the way, except maybe that I think Craig Levein is a good manager.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about him. Great player, shit manager, and the fans still went ballistic when he got sacked. And booed poor Bobby Williamson for like a year afterwards.

There's a train of thought that suggests that a good manager can just be in the wrong job, and any number of reasons or circumstances can arise making them appear to be shit. You, know, good managers don't become bad managers overnight, but he may just have a clash of personalities with the squad, or there may be circumstances the fans don't know about, like the chairman ordering player sales, or the start striker being a lazy primadonna who wont train properly. Like, for example, Craig Levein, did brilliantly at Hearts, and is doing a great job at Dundee United, but he was absolute pish at Leicester City and got sacked. Craig is a good manager so why did he appear to be shit at Leicester? (Apart from buying a bunch of SPL rejects). Though in saying that, I guess the opposite is also true, and a shit manager can look good if circumstances and things are going his way, like having a really determined team, or good coaches. I don't really know what point I'm trying to make by the way, except maybe that I think Craig Levein is a good manager.

Horses for Courses perhaps?

Steve Paterson was a good manager at ICT then pish for the Dons.......and now pish for Peterhead. I guess the mair pisht ye get, the pisher ye get.

Guest DustyDeviada
Truly shite, lip-licking kiddie-fiddler: I present Graeme Rix.

Thought you were talking about Richard Gough at first. ;)

To be fair to Levein, he had to do a fairly major restructuring job down south, and suffered in the same way McLeish did at the Huns as a result.

And much as I hate that tube McCall, I seem to recall he did OK in his first season at United.

Where do I begin?

Murdo 'Murder' McLeod: Tactically useless. Incapable of cutting the wage bill and winning promtion with a useful squad. Almost put us out of business. Prick.

Tommy Bryce: Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

Gerry Collins: Tactically fucking clueless, played ten men behind the ball at home to Hibs, and stll got beat. Should never have been given the job in the first place, to be fair.

Britton and Shyte: Useless at bringing in players and gelling a squad. Not as tactically as bad as Collins, but fucking close.

Dick Campbell: Sack. Him. Now.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I don't think he'll get a job in England, I know he's done wonders results wise, but I still don't rate him

I've yet to meet a sheepsha..... err, I mean, Aberdeen supporter who's happy for JC to manage them. He's always said how he'd love a crack at managing in England and he just seems to be "slumming it" until a job darn sarf comes up. I guess time will tell. He's done pretty well this season (gnash) but, assuming you get into the UEFA, let's wait and see what happens there.

its just the way footy is how a manager can be good at one club and hopeless at another. but i suppose every club has completely different staff, set ups, expectations etc. in fact a lot of factors. look at le guen - very successful in his homeland and hopeless in scotland.

souness has been pretty shit most places he's been - he was alright at rangers but had cash to splash. his time at newcastle was a joke, nearly 10 million for albert luque ha ha ha!

alex miller is most personal favourite shite manager. when he joined the dons, my hibee flatmate was rolling around the floor laughing... and there was the little matter of robbie winters and billy dodds

What a cunt! I hated him at Pittoddrie and I'm not even a Don!

I'll never forget his statement on the telly when Chic Young or whoever suggested that his coat may be on a shoogly peg at Aberdeen...

...his response, in that thick schemie brogue was...

..."Ah'm no' gaun naewhere".

Needless to say Wiggy got him to fuck two days later.

Roy Aitken anyone?

Killie's worst manager(s)? - Jim Clunie or Eddie Morrison

Roy Aitken anyone?

At least won silverware.

Alex Miller is my worst. Useless fuck and the players he got were fucking gash. He'll go to his grave as the man who swapped his clubs leading scorer for 3 years on the trot PLUS 800k for Robbie cocking Winters. Now, winters on his day was OK. But he wasn't worth Billy Dodds, let alone Dodds plus 800 grand.

At least won silverware.

Alex Miller is my worst. Useless fuck and the players he got were fucking gash. He'll go to his grave as the man who swapped his clubs leading scorer for 3 years on the trot PLUS 800k for Robbie cocking Winters. Now, winters on his day was OK. But he wasn't worth Billy Dodds, let alone Dodds plus 800 grand.

Although Aitken spent 800K on Brian O'Neil (I think.... or was that Miller too?)

Another of the worst signings ever!

Guest DustyDeviada
Is that true?

I'm not sure about a loan, but I remember an interview with Craig Brown saying that Monaco had offered Alex Miller Henry for around 700,000 but the Dons couldn't afford it at the time.

I wouldn't worry about it, we would have managed to bring him down to our level.

Aye, we got offered them both for around 500K each.

Also that central defender who plays for Charlton, Herman Hreiderson. He wanted to sign for us on a free. I even went along to a reserve game to watch him play and he was outstanding. Miller said he wasn't good enough. Been in the premiership for years now. What an eye for a bargain.

Miller said he wasn't good enough. Been in the premiership for years now. What an eye for a bargain.

Yet the greetin-faced former ice-cream van salesman (true!) still manages to get the work o_O

"ma record at Hibs speaks fur itsel'...which was a bold statement, until you actually LOOKED at his record with the Leith Junkies...it was shite!

The green & white East Coast intravenous injectors of hard drugs hated him as well.

I'm not sure about a loan, but I remember an interview with Craig Brown saying that Monaco had offered Alex Miller Henry for around 700,000 but the Dons couldn't afford it at the time.

I wouldn't worry about it, we would have managed to bring him down to our level.

It is true we were offered them. Not sure of the ins and outs, I though it was a loan offering.

Aye, we got offered them both for around 500K each.

Also that central defender who plays for Charlton, Herman Hreiderson. He wanted to sign for us on a free. I even went along to a reserve game to watch him play and he was outstanding. Miller said he wasn't good enough. Been in the premiership for years now. What an eye for a bargain.

It was Aitken that never signed him - he played in a reserve game and scored twice. Aitken said to reporters afterwards that "we've seen him score but we don't know if he can defend" or something to that efect.

He's subsequently been sold for a small fortune over the years....

www.soccerbase.com - The Internet Soccer Database

it could well be true - i'm pretty sure ryan giggs could have played for england if he wanted. if only - the persistant england left side problem would have been sorted and giggs could have played at a number of major finals.

The "Giggs for England" rumour isn't entirely accurate. He was born in cardiff but was captain of the England schoolboys - this was because he was at school in England, though.

Ryan Giggs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

England National Football Team Player Eligibility

"The football associations of the home countries have long allowed young players to appear at schoolboy level for the national side of the home country in which they live regardless of whether they would be eligible to play for that country's national side at a higher level and then to switch to another home country's higher level national side provided they are eligible. Ryan Giggs, for example, played for England Schoolboys because he lived in England although he was not eligible to play for England at a higher level. Later he played for Wales' senior side, for which he was eligible through both his own birthplace and family ancestry. And Bob Wilson, the old Arsenal goalkeeper, played for England Schoolboys but later was capped at senior level by Scotland, for which he was eligible through family ancestry although he was born in England and thus could have played for England had he ever been selected."