aberdeen-music

worst manager you've had???

delboy

either at club or international level....

cambridge have had a fair few - ken shilleto and john ryan in the 80's, more recently john taylor, steve thompson, herve renard and rob newman have all proved to be pretty inadequate (although given the poor state of the clubs off the fields fortunes they can be slightly excused having not had much to work with). jury is still out on current gaffer jimmy quinn - just when you think he's the most uselss, inept tactician in the game's history he pulls a result out of the bag like yesterdays 4-0 thrashing of northwich victoria.

on the international front, the worst manager i've seen england have is undoubtedly graham taylor - how the hell he gets regular gigs commenting on england matches is beyond me - the man was a complete failure when in charge. sven was pretty hopeless - rode on the back of that 5-1 thumping of germany for a long long time. steve mclaren is proving to be pretty hopeless - at this time scotland have more chance than qualifying for euro 2008 than england i feel!

on the scotland front, berti vogts - what can i say ha ha!!!! i remember steve paterson at aberdeen was quite hopeless but i feel that was because he was fond of a drink or ten!

Jesus, Berti Vogts was a nightmare. It was pretty clear early on he wasn't right for the job, when he didn't seem to know which players were good, so he just called up every Scottish player ever and gave them a match. I follow football pretty closely, and in one match, I can't remember the opponents, Berti had two guys on the bench that I've never even heard of. The Dons have had some pretty atrocious managers, but we'd have to go some to top John Barnes at Celtic! Watching them just get shitter and shitter with every match was hilarious, he didn't even last a season before he got the boot. There's a few dodgy managers out there. I've always thought Mick McCarthy was overrated, he did well for Ireland but did nothing at Sunderland. Sunderland have had a history of fairly shit managers, I mean Howard Wilkinson for Christ's sake? Peter Reid did well there but again it all went wrong for him and he never did anything again. Ruud Gullit was absolute shit at Newcastle. plus there's a few one-job wonders who should never have got the job in the first place, Les Reed, Kevin Blackwell etc. Glenn Roeder managed to get West Ham relegated, and he's been absolute pish at Newcastle United, I don't think he'll still be in charge come kick off next season.

As far as my personal interests go, in my own lifetime, in order of badness:

1. Berti Vogts - Nice guy but not a clue about how to get the best out of Scotland's meagre resources. In some ways its a shame he left because I'd have liked to have seen Darren Mackie getting his call up, it must have been round the corner.

2. Steve Paterson - just pathetic. Way out of his depth. Didn't turn up for a home game against Utd. because he was pisht the night before and we got tanked 3-0. Totally unacceptable.

3. Alex Miller - far too defensive and boring boring football. He did sign Hignett which could have been great but he also turned down loan offers of a couple of 17 year old French kids - one called Trezeguet and one called Henry. We were covered in attack apparently...

on the international front, the worst manager i've seen england have is undoubtedly graham taylor - how the hell he gets regular gigs commenting on england matches is beyond me - the man was a complete failure when in charge.

That debacle was a good laugh! So happy it was made into a documentary. DO I NOT LIKE THAT!

Rumour has it that Craig Brown once turned down an English kid with a Scottish dad who offered himself to the Scottish national team. His name was Michael Owen... we could have fucking done with him at the 98 world cup when he was scoring blinders against Argentina and we had Gordon Durie and Darren Jackson up front at a combined age of about 80!

Rumour has it that Craig Brown once turned down an English kid with a Scottish dad who offered himself to the Scottish national team. His name was Michael Owen... we could have fucking done with him at the 98 world cup when he was scoring blinders against Argentina and we had Gordon Durie and Darren Jackson up front at a combined age of about 80!

no way! didn't know that about owen.

that graham taylor doc was hilarious - he really is a useless buffoon (hence earning his crust giving his 'expert' opinion)

i remember that first vogts game against france - it was obvious he didnt have a clue right from the start.

john barnes at celtic! oh god yes that has to be a contender for worst manager ever! i remember them losing at home to caley thistle in the cup (i believe caley thistle were a div 1 outfit at the time). he signed raphael for five million quid and apparently had never seen him play. i'm hard pressed to think of a worse manager than barnes - utterly hopeless. i'd like to say he's found his niche as a presenter but his 'work' on channel 5 is nothing less than appaling!!! cracking goal for england against brazil in 1985 though!

Spurs- Christian Gross. No clue how to manage an English team. Shite purchases.

Dundee Utd- Craig Brewster. What a fucking waste of time. I don't think our players even saw a ball in training. Clueless and dumped some of our stronger players.

Bayern Munich- Otto Rehagel. Total cunt, little or no man-management skills.

Germany- Erich Ribbeck. Useless. Played tons of players out of position and oversaw a rather poor period in German Football. Always looked like he wanted Lothar Mattheus to tell him how to manage the team.

I don't know if it's actually true, it was just a rumour I heard! I know he does have a Scottish dad and his dad did want him to play for Scotland though. Scottish family, grew up in Wales and he plays for England!

it could well be true - i'm pretty sure ryan giggs could have played for england if he wanted. if only - the persistant england left side problem would have been sorted and giggs could have played at a number of major finals.

some wonderfully inept manager names getting a mention - keep em coming!!!

Souness at Newcastle. Signed about a million midfielders (Amdy Faye, Scott Parker, Emre, Luque, Damien Duff, Nobby Solano) into a midfield that already had the likes of Jenas, Dyer, and Milner. Released Kluivert and Bellamy, leaving a 36 year old Alan Shearer with no pace up front, alongside the eternally shite Shola Ameobi, and no cover if they got injured (until Owen signed and then got injured). Brought in absolute mince to play at the back like Boumsong, Moore and Babayaro, and persisted in playing Titus Bramble in central defence when it was clear to everyone he was completely useless.

Absolutely shite!

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Pars have had a few dodgy managers in their time:

George Farm -1967-1970 - Inherited a great Dunfermline team from Willie Cunningham and won us our 2nd Scottish Cup and took us to the semis in Europe (honest!), but bailed as soon as we had to tighten our belts a bit after fighting with the board. Sank into obscurity with the Wee Team. History later repeated itself via a certain J.Calderwood.

Pat Stanton - 1981/1982 season - Sat there twiddling his thumbs until a job at Hibs came up. Magnificently ineffectual.

Tom Forsyth - 1982/1983 season - A dirty bastard in his playing days, and employed the same ethos in management. Got us rellied to the old Division 2, and fucked off to Motherwell. Replaced by a certain untried 29-year old named J.Leishman.

Can't really complain about anyone we've had since, apart from Calderwood fucking off as soon as the cash dried up. He'll fuck off from Pittodrie as soon as a job in England comes up.

Pars have had a few dodgy managers in their time:

George Farm -1967-1970 - Inherited a great Dunfermline team from Willie Cunningham and won us our 2nd Scottish Cup and took us to the semis in Europe (honest!), but bailed as soon as we had to tighten our belts a bit after fighting with the board. Sank into obscurity with the Wee Team. History later repeated itself via a certain J.Calderwood.

Pat Stanton - 1981/1982 season - Sat there twiddling his thumbs until a job at Hibs came up. Magnificently ineffectual.

Tom Forsyth - 1982/1983 season - A dirty bastard in his playing days, and employed the same ethos in management. Got us rellied to the old Division 2, and fucked off to Motherwell. Replaced by a certain untried 29-year old named J.Leishman.

Can't really complain about anyone we've had since, apart from Calderwood fucking off as soon as the cash dried up. He'll fuck off from Pittodrie as soon as a job in England comes up.

I don't think he'll get a job in England, I know he's done wonders results wise, but I still don't rate him. he continually plays everybody out of position, effectively nullifying their skills when there are players that can play in that position sitting on the bench. eg Chris Clark at right back, Ricky Foster at left back, Barry Nicholson at right back, Scott Severin in central defence, Jamie Smith up front... Mind you Ebbe played Robbie Winters in goals :laughing:

Dick Advocaat who was almost as bad as Le Guen.

If I cared I'd look up and post the stats that would surely disprove that?!? He had a pretty good team by SPL standards in his hey day no? Brought in good Dutch players (Bert Konterman aside!). I've already written too much about this....

I don't think he'll get a job in England, I know he's done wonders results wise, but I still don't rate him. he continually plays everybody out of position, effectively nullifying their skills when there are players that can play in that position sitting on the bench. eg Chris Clark at right back, Ricky Foster at left back, Barry Nicholson at right back, Scott Severin in central defence, Jamie Smith up front... Mind you Ebbe played Robbie Winters in goals :laughing:

Cambridge United perhaps?!

Jimmy's done pretty well by the standards of the last 10 years. Results dinnae lie ken. I do agree that his decision making seems suspect at times and we've never really played with flair.

I liked Ebbe better though :up:

Leishman, what a servant!

If I cared I'd look up and post the stats that would surely disprove that?!? He had a pretty good team by SPL standards in his hey day no? Brought in good Dutch players (Bert Konterman aside!). I've already written too much about this....

he spent an absolute fortune to buy the league title, then fucked off when Murray told him there was no more money. Even most of the shit managers mentioned here could have walked the SPL with the De Boers, Numan, Mols, Flo, Reyna, Van Bronckhorst, Amoruso, Albertz etc. in the team, especialy when Celtic were in a rebuilding phase after having the worst manager in their history.

Jimmy's done pretty well by the standards of the last 10 years. Results dinnae lie ken. I do agree that his decision making seems suspect at times and we've never really played with flair.

We've played some dire football under Jimmy, but as you say it's results that count. 2007/08 UEFA cup coming home to Pittodrie perhaps? :up:

he spent an absolute fortune to buy the league title, then fucked off when Murray told him there was no more money. Even most of the shit managers mentioned here could have walked the SPL with the De Boers, Numan, Mols, Flo, Reyna, Van Bronckhorst, Amoruso, Albertz etc. in the team, especialy when Celtic were in a rebuilding phase after having the worst manager in their history.

Never thought about it financially and prob didn't pay much attention to the circumstances of his departure! He was almost as pish as Le Guen afterall! Here's hoping Watty catches that bug ;)

i dont think he could cope with the glamour of the conference after slumming it in the SPL! plus we couldnt afford his pie requirement!

especially with england failing so miserably - the way things are going we might see scotland and northern ireland at euro 2008 with england not qualifying (which would put mclaren firmly in the 'completely hopeless' bracket!)