aberdeen-music

What should I buy, 360 or PS3?

Afro Droid

I'm moving to Canada later in the year, I will buy a new console once I'm settled, but! A conumdrum! Which!? A PS3 or X-Box 360?

My criteria:

a) I FUCKING LOVE Star Wars, unhealthily so, and almost exclusively play Star Wars games, and here's the rub: At the moment I have both a PS2 and an X-Box, and I enjoy regularly playing Battlefront II on the PS2 (repeatative, but habit-forming); yet I also gain much joy from the Knights of the Old Republic games (ocassionally dreary and oblique, but overall ace!) for the X-B. Which format has the license for LucasArts games? This is vital to my final decision, as, like I say, I pretty much only play Star Wars based games.

b) God of War II, the format that gets it wins.

c) I don't like Wii. Don't mention it.

d) I also really like superhero games (X-Men: Legends, Spiderman II, ect), which format has the Marvel and DC licences? Any Sci-fi/comic book-based game recommendations?

Help me gamers, you're my only hope.

I've had the pleasure of extended shotties of the PS3 and XBox 360 and they are both excellent.

If CAPEX (CAPital EXpenditure - ie initial layout) isn't important, then it should be the PS3 hands down as it has more to offer as standard. Anyhoo, by the time you include all the 360's addons (e.g. 50-60 for WiFi) then there's not much difference.

My only concern with the PS3 would be the early adoption of the Blu-Ray format - will it take off, or will it be another superior, but less popular media a la' Betamax/V2000?

Having said that. a console is only as good as it's games ans I would contend that the PS2 kicked fuck out of the XBox in that respect. Will the new machine do the same to it's 360 counterpart?

Our experts say..."Fuck Knows"

Watch this space...

probably a PS3 if you're willing to pay the crazy price for it. i have an xbox360 and in my humble opinion it's a bit shit; sadly i couldn't afford a decent gaming pc. PS2 'kicked fuck out of' xbox.

dunno which stars wars games are going where... so my opinion is a bit useless to you 8-) except that i would recommend you stop just playing star wars games...

My advice would be to read the other PS3 thread thats kicking about here, take a look at IGN.com: Games, Cheats, Movies and More and any other video game sites, see what games suit you the most and go for it.

The PS3 will not show it's true colours until at least christmas, so if you can hold off your purchase for a fairer comparism, then do so.

probably a PS3 if you're willing to pay the crazy price for it.

I'll be buying in Canada, so it'll be cheaper than in Europe, I assume.

so my opinion is a bit useless to you 8-) except that i would recommend you stop just playing star wars games...

I don't *just* play Star Wars games, but it is a deciding factor for me, sad as it is. I don't play sport or racing games.

A lot of Star Wars games are just plain shite, like Podracer.

However, I'd consider Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Outcast/Academy by far the best titles in the series.

As for what console to get, if you are wanting one fairly soon after you arrive there then invest in a 360. You may want to get a PS3 once it's cost goes down for Christmas.

Dude, don't ask for gamers help! all you'll get is how shit the other guys console is because it's not what they have sitting under their telly.

I looked some stuff up for you tho dude, just the facts, no bias.

a) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is sceduled for Spring '08 on Xbox 360 and PS3 (and PSP, PS2 & DS if anyones remotely intrested), Couldnt find anything on whether one of the consoles had some kind of deal to get exclusive games, they'll probably be multi-format tho by the looks of it.

b) God of War 2 is out on PS2 on 13/04 and will be backward compatible on PS3.

c) Ok.

d) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Spiderman 3 are out on both consoles (now and 04/05 respectively). All i came across for DC (beside the Superman game which was released and slated to fuck last year) was something entitled "Untitled DC Comics MMO" on PS3, but theres not much news there other than it'll be out in the US only, i dunno if that includes Canada tho.

force unleashed looks fucking awesome.

also, i think lucasarts are planning a star wars tie in on wii(i know i'm not meant to mention it but it's too good) which would obviously utilize the controllers for some sweet lightsaber action.

next-gen graphics, cell processors, jedi crave not these things.

Dude, don't ask for gamers help! all you'll get is how shit the other guys console is because it's not what they have sitting under their telly.

I looked some stuff up for you tho dude, just the facts, no bias.

a) Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is sceduled for Spring '08 on Xbox 360 and PS3 (and PSP, PS2 & DS if anyones remotely intrested), Couldnt find anything on whether one of the consoles had some kind of deal to get exclusive games, they'll probably be multi-format tho by the looks of it.

b) God of War 2 is out on PS2 on 13/04 and will be backward compatible on PS3.

c) Ok.

d) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Spiderman 3 are out on both consoles (now and 04/05 respectively). All i came across for DC (beside the Superman game which was released and slated to fuck last year) was something entitled "Untitled DC Comics MMO" on PS3, but theres not much news there other than it'll be out in the US only, i dunno if that includes Canada tho.

I think I'm erring on the side of PS3 at the moment, but what if Knights of The Old Republic 3 isn't multi-platform? I weep. Still, PS3 looks like marginbally the better option at the moment. Will the Canadian/US version PS3 have the upgrade to play PS2 games on?

yup, across the pond they are completely backwards-compatable, they had to sacrafice the chip to transfer it to PAL i believe (something like that anyway), we'll get an upgrade 'at some point' tho.

Also on the PS3 side of things, you have less to fret about the price over there, at launch the console was only about 300 as opposed to 425. By the time you get over there it'll of been out for over 6 months and will likely be in line for a price cut.

yup, across the pond they are completely backwards-compatable, they had to sacrafice the chip to transfer it to PAL i believe (something like that anyway), we'll get an upgrade 'at some point' tho.

It isn't completely backwards compatable, and I'd be surprised if they actually release a firmware upgrade to increase the PAL model's support to near complete.

Having said that. a console is only as good as it's games ans I would contend that the PS2 kicked fuck out of the XBox in that respect. Will the new machine do the same to it's 360 counterpart?

sorry to be arsey but that's complete and utter bollocks.

On a star wars related front; was KOTOR not a PC/Xbox exclusive last time? I dont remember ever seeing it for PS2. I'd imagine that could be an important factor in your decision... but then, Force Unleashed does look pretty special too.

Price wise, you'd hope that PS3 might have dropped a wee bit by the time you move so the prices might be more similar.

One last thing. Halo3 isn't gonna be on PS3. think about that. really think about that.

It isn't completely backwards compatable, and I'd be surprised if they actually release a firmware upgrade to increase the PAL model's support to near complete.

Ok, in the US it's 98% compatible, i stand corrected.

Looks like you'll have to hook up the old faithful PS2 were you to feel the need for another romp through Crazy Frog Racer 2.

At first i was incredibly worried about the lack of Backwards compatability, but even though i was balls deep in a rather engrossing campaign of God of War pre-launch, i havent even glanced upon the rather sad looking pile of PS2 games in the corner of the room.

It's not an excuse for sony by any means and it doesnt make it ok, but from my point of view i havent really noticed the loss.

You'll probably see a price cut before Christmas for the PS3, though I have no idea how much.

a) I FUCKING LOVE Star Wars, unhealthily so, and almost exclusively play Star Wars games, and here's the rub: At the moment I have both a PS2 and an X-Box, and I enjoy regularly playing Battlefront II on the PS2 (repeatative, but habit-forming); yet I also gain much joy from the Knights of the Old Republic games (ocassionally dreary and oblique, but overall ace!) for the X-B. Which format has the license for LucasArts games? This is vital to my final decision, as, like I say, I pretty much only play Star Wars based games.

I don't think either has a definite license for Lucasarts games, but you're likely to see Knights of the Old Republic 3 as an X-Box/PC only if it comes out, and never on Sony/Nintendo platforms. The Battlefront series and Force Unleashed etc are multi-platform, as far as I know, so no worries there.

b) God of War II, the format that gets it wins.

From what I can tell, it's a Sony game, so it's Playstation only.

d) I also really like superhero games (X-Men: Legends, Spiderman II, ect), which format has the Marvel and DC licences? Any Sci-fi/comic book-based game recommendations?

The games you quoted there are all multi-platform, and I can't see that changing for similar future games, particularly for the big comic franchises.

In my honest opinion, I'd go for the 360 right now. I would never go for a newly released console, simply because I don't believe they start showing off their potential for a year. The head-start release means it has everything all set up and all the bugs ironed out. PS3 doesn't seem to have anything special going for it yet, and I can't think of any major licenses it owns to itself - given how multi-platform games are becoming, keeping specific games are the killer key to the Xbox/PS3 race :)

I'll also say I don't own any of the new consoles, and don't intend to, in case I sounded like I was overdefending one side :p

Ok, in the US it's 98% compatible, i stand corrected.

Looks like you'll have to hook up the old faithful PS2 were you to feel the need for another romp through Crazy Frog Racer 2.

At first i was incredibly worried about the lack of Backwards compatability, but even though i was balls deep in a rather engrossing campaign of God of War pre-launch, i havent even glanced upon the rather sad looking pile of PS2 games in the corner of the room.

It's not an excuse for sony by any means and it doesnt make it ok, but from my point of view i havent really noticed the loss.

You havn't looked at your PS2 pile since launch?? Thats..oooohhh... 5 days? Just wait till the summer games drought and you want to play some PS2 games........

You havn't looked at your PS2 pile since launch?? Thats..oooohhh... 5 days? Just wait till the summer games drought and you want to play some PS2 games........

Yeah, and if that is the case, that will be fine, as all my favourite games are completely compatible with the console, so i shall have much fun, or i might go and do something else, time will tell i guess.

Oh, Price drop.... Sony announced a worldwide pricedrop of $100 for PS3 in October.

Oh... rass gets his facts wrong, Analysts are expecting Sony to drop the price of the console by $100 in Oct due to cheaper parts and design simplification. Also in an attempt to stay ahead of Xbox who hasn't dropped their price a year on.

I've spent too much time talking about this fucking console, theres one under my telly now, i can go and.... read aberdeen-music on it.. or something :p