aberdeen-music

The National

Shaki

Guest bluesxman

Was listening to Alligator in the car the other day. I was a bit disappointed by it when I first got it after hearing Lit Up, because there aren't other songs as strong as it, but it's grown on me.

yyyyyesss, best fucking band

was going to make this thread myself, concerning my excitment for the upcoming release of the "boxer" lp

there are few songs on alligator as immediate as "lit up", it's the singer's way with words that sucked me in

"it's a common fetish/for a doting man/to ballerina on the coffee table/cock in hand"

I first heard Mr. November on a Uncut compilation and bought the album. Was initially disappointed too as only Lit Up and Abel are of the same rocking ilk but as you say it's a real grower and the lyrics are brilliant. Abel is a walking to work favourite. The production on both albums is spot on too. The drum sound on Geese of Beverly Road gives me wood.

I've been watching live clips on youtube. Think a wee trip to Berlin at the end of May is in order :up:

Alligator is my favourite album of the century thus far. They have another album, their self-titled debut, which is alright but totally overshadowed by the other two. There's a video of them playing around a dinner table and a downloadable song from the new album on Pitchfork at the moment. Haven't had a chance to listen to the new song yet, but the video is pretty good. When i saw this thread title i was hoping it was gonna be one of those gauging interest ones...how disappointing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best gig ever :up:

It was a pretty small venue, totally packed full of National-adoring Germans and hotter than a sauna. From start to finish I was absolutely mesmerised, the crowd were loving every minute and the band fed off that. The singer's banter was pretty good too as he scoofed from a bottle of white wine - likeable yanks. They played a lot off Boxer (obviously) and a mixture from Alligator and Sad Songs. Stand out tracks were: Secret Meeting, Mr. November, Murder Me Rachel, Squalor Victoria, Mistaken for Strangers, Fake Empire and All the Wine. They then encored with one of the more downbeat ones from Boxer (can't remember which one) and then Abel which was possibly the best 4 minutes of my life. Another plus was being allowed to smoke inside enhancing their intensity! I've listened to nobody but the National since Friday and having seen them live it sounds even better than before. I am in love with Berlin (the city, not the band!) and the National.

God speed November, God speed Mr. November.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Good to see some National appreciation going on. Boxer was far and away my favourite album of 2007. There seems to be a song for every occasion in there. The Berlin gig Shaki attended sounds like it was awesome - I would like to see them in a Tunnels-esque venue for sure. Have people heard the Black and White sessions that made the rounds of the blogs last summer? Great stuff.

Haven't heard the black and white sessions. Is it available for purchase do you know?

They were "DJing" in a club after the Glasgow show so got to meet them, from what I can remember they were fine fellows.

Their first album is pretty good, just bought it recently so haven't had a chance to digest.

Looking forward to seeing them at T in the Park. :up:

Thanks for the Balck & White Session tip, I haven't heard them but have them downloading as I type.

Boxer was afar and Away the best album last year nad the Gig at the ABC the best gig of the year.

The track Black Slate on the Virginia EP is outstanding, get your paws on it if you haven't already.

Guest idol_wild
Ive tried to book them for The Tunnels - believe me I would sell my house to get them - if I owned it!

Ross, if you managed to book The National for The Tunnels, I would personally hand craft a statue dedicated in your honour and place it on the Castlegate.

I'm not even kidding.