aberdeen-music

Photoshop

framheim

yea i used to just desaturate then play with the contrast and brightness. i've since realised the benefit of using channel mixer instead.

i've also been having fun using a alien skin exposure which is a plug in which simulates different film types inlcuding my favourite black and white film, fuji acros.

That looks like a great piece of software. I think I shall invest.

Some people think that you should simply go to "desaturate" for a b+w image...bullshit. There is even a technique to get an amazing sepia tone i.e. properly toned not just a desaturate then add red and yellow.

Guy Gowan seminar pawned everything I thought I knew about Photoshop.

I find if you go to hue+saturation and bring the saturation down manually (say around 80%), before going into 'colour-balance' and altering according to taste can get some pretty nice results.

Anyone got any pieces of work they want to post up? I've only been using photoshop for a year or so but absolutely love it. If anyone drives past the new CIS offices that are currently under construction in Arnhall business park, Westhill - you will see a signboard gracing the roundabout, with an image of what the building will look like... I did that :)

you can see some of mine on my website and my flickr

David Officer Photography

Flickr: Photos from daveofficer

this is one of my most recent photos:

455806716_ed9d30f944.jpg

I use it more for artwork rather than photographer (cos I'm a terrible photographer) , but I guess it can be useful for whatever you prefer! I like making collages of hundreds of images or just drawing straight in photoshop with nothing but a blank canvas.

albumcover.jpg

Skulls.jpg

I love layers, never use them for weddings though. Also, I try to use just a few layers, although lots of people use literally hundreds for graphic purposes.

Here is a mega low res pic using 3 layers (the image and 2 textures). Needs a lot more work on it but at the moment its jsut me mucking about.

q.jpg

I love layers, never use them for weddings though. Also, I try to use just a few layers, although lots of people use literally hundreds for graphic purposes.

Here is a mega low res pic using 3 layers (the image and 2 textures). Needs a lot more work on it but at the moment its jsut me mucking about.

q.jpg

that's really cool. i've been using them a lot recently after being amazed by an article in black and white photography about a guy who uses lots of subtle layers in his images. they were amazing. i'll have to fish that issue out and see if he's got a website to point you guys to.

that's really cool. i've been using them a lot recently after being amazed by an article in black and white photography about a guy who uses lots of subtle layers in his images. they were amazing. i'll have to fish that issue out and see if he's got a website to point you guys to.

That would be ace.

Has anyone tried creating an HDR image? I've been meaning to go out and take some shots of a scene and creating an HDR from them. Has anyone had any successes with this?

yea i've done a few. they're okay but i need to practice it a bit more. there's tons of shit ones on flickr and a few really impressive ones. like every photomanipulation technique it's success lies in subtlety.

also it's getting annoying because as soon as people see a picture which has been well exposed for shadows and highlights people scream hdr when that's only an image which has been composed of 3 or more seperate exposures and tonemapped in a program like photomatix or photoshop.

watch out for halo's round your image when you do an hdr.

Has anyone tried creating an HDR image? I've been meaning to go out and take some shots of a scene and creating an HDR from them. Has anyone had any successes with this?

I used to do this when I first got a semi - pro digital camera. I thought it was cheating at first, as I thought my camera was not good enough to capture a whole scene so i'd take four ascending exposures. It's then just a case of using each section to "build up" the overall image, like you would with a panormaic image. It's a case of knowing what's worth adding to the image in order to go ahead with the whole HDR thing - will it look significantly better? I've got heaps I took of HMT for the centenary book. They're all at work though! I'll post a couple the morn. It's really worth a shot as you can get some brilliant results but need to experiment.

In the words of Neil Buchanan -

"Go on, try it yourself!"