aberdeen-music

Any Danko Jones or Annihilator (!) fans?

Afro Droid

Danko Jones is the greatest thing in rock since AC/DC, and now he's doing metal!

From Danko's myspace:

Danko Jones appears on the new Annihilator album, "Metal", due out this April 2007. Singing on the song, "Couple Suicide", the track also features Arch Enemy singer Angela Gossow.

"I'm a big Annihilator fan, have been since Alison Hell. It's an honour to be on their latest album and an honour to stand beside the other guests on the record." The album also features Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Anders Bjrler (The Haunted), Michael Amott (Arch Enemy), Willie Adler (Lamb Of God) and many more!

www.myspace.com/dankojones

Look, he likes Kreator too!

dankosurgery.jpg

I love Danko, he changed my life.

Annihilator are great, why the fuck they are hanging about with faux pas "metalheads" like Trivium is beyond me.

I hate Trivium with a passion.

Now, I'm not a big Trivium fan at all, in fact, I dont don't own anything by them as they just don't really do it for me BUT what makes them "faux"* metalheads? Is it the fact that they wear their love for metal on their sleeve? Is it the fact that they clearly have love for bands that they have perhaps eclipsed in sucess but still show a deep respect for because of the influence i.e. (Testament, Annihilator.) Is it the fact they publicly went out on Ozzfest and supported maiden when they were treated like crap by Sharon Osbourne et al by wearing maiden shirts and playing the Trooper? Is it the fact that they want to be the biggest Metal band in the world? (Most metal bands want that as well.)

I cant see any reason why they are faux Metalheads. Just because they are popular with really young kids. So what, it was only ten years ago that kids of the same age were wearing Sepultura and Machine Head tee shirts in abundance. Did that make those bands faux metal? Did it fuck! Be careful that you dont become that bitter old man Scott, that looks down on the next generation of everything. What keeps someone relevant and young is how open their mind is.

*Its Faux not Faux Pas. Faux pas is a mistake, a no no etc.

Now, I'm not a big Trivium fan at all, in fact, I dont don't own anything by them as they just don't really do it for me BUT what makes them "faux"* metalheads? Is it the fact that they wear their love for metal on their sleeve? Is it the fact that they clearly have love for bands that they have perhaps eclipsed in sucess but still show a deep respect for because of the influence i.e. (Testament, Annihilator.) Is it the fact they publicly went out on Ozzfest and supported maiden when they were treated like crap by Sharon Osbourne et al by wearing maiden shirts and playing the Trooper? Is it the fact that they want to be the biggest Metal band in the world? (Most metal bands want that as well.)

I cant see any reason why they are faux Metalheads. Just because they are popular with really young kids. So what, it was only ten years ago that kids of the same age were wearing Sepultura and Machine Head tee shirts in abundance. Did that make those bands faux metal? Did it fuck! Be careful that you dont become that bitter old man Scott, that looks down on the next generation of everything. What keeps someone relevant and young is how open their mind is.

Great Post :)

Ah ok so that will explain the absolute god awfulness of the song " Couple Suicide ".

To be fair man...any song that you think is awful I would probably love and lets remember that you probably first heard scum by Napalm Death about a year or two ago and I saw them play it live in 89 with dorrian on vocals and bill steer on guitar so just run along now ok ;)

*Its Faux not Faux Pas. Faux pas is a mistake, a no no etc.

I don't care how they look, who they appeal too etc. Good on them for trying hard to be the biggest band on the planet, playing when Sharon Osbourne was being a fucker etc etc etc.

I am talking simply about the music, nothing else. It's all been done before. I simply don't think they are going to be the "Savours of metal".

I might across as old-school and live in the 90's. Nope, I love lots of 21st century bands.

All Im simply talking about is that Trivium have not produced and probably can't produce an album like Master of Puppets etc.

Ironically, I love Slipknot, always have. A few years ago all the kids were wearing Slipknot tshirts because it was cool. The difference IMHO is that Slipknot wrote songs that really kicked ass.

Not sure why you think Im a "trapped in time, bitter guy who hates all things new", couldn't be further from the truth man.

*yeah I can't spell but I can take a mean photo*

Whit ?

What exactly does Napalm Death have to do with Annihilator having a shite song out?

Im sure you got to see them in their prime and good on you man.

I saw Annihilator as support to Judas Priest on their Painkiller tour, man they rocked the Playhouse.

Will be checking out their new album for sure:up:

I heard that Danko Jones album and I think I thought it was pretty rubbish. From recollection.

Trivium, on the other hand... Everyone would be shitting over them if they didn't have a similar metal status to My Chemical Romance, Bullet For My Valentine, Him or any other band that is loved by all those little "goth" children from middle class britain.

The fact is, if you listen to their album(s) there is no denying that they can shred like fuck on a guitar, and have obviously been big metal fans for years and years. They also, (in my opinion) write some pretty good tunes that ARE relevant, because they take the mid-late 80's thrash blueprint and make it sound like it is 2007.

If people don't want to like Trivium, then I couldn't care less. However, I really get the impression that far too many people dislike them for the wrong reasons (not necessarily meaning you, Hog)

In defence of Calum... I haven't heard the latest Annihilator song, but their last bunch of albums HAVE been shit.

If people don't want to like Trivium, then I couldn't care less. However, I really get the impression that far too many people dislike them for the wrong reasons (not necessarily meaning you, Hog)

Aye, true.

Personally, I just dont like the music.

I actually own a Him album and a My Chemical Romance album (seriously!) Bet Ben (or maybe everyone) didn't see that coming lol.

Danko Jones... God amongst mere mortals.

I wear my 'Mama raised a devil child' t-shirt with pride!

Snap.

My mum loves him too, she has to be the only 50-something year old listening to Danko, in Aberdeen at least.

And he may come across as a cocky bastard but he's written some ace songs about break ups from a girl's pov. 'Strut' is an awesome song to listen to when you feel all shitty and stuff. So he's a cocky git who is in touch with his feminine side. And he has an obscenely long tongue.

Snap.

My mum loves him too, she has to be the only 50-something year old listening to Danko, in Aberdeen at least.

And he may come across as a cocky bastard but he's written some ace songs about break ups from a girl's pov. 'Strut' is an awesome song to listen to when you feel all shitty and stuff. So he's a cocky git who is in touch with his feminine side. And he has an obscenely long tongue.

And he knows the lovercall baby.

I love Danko so much I got a Danko tattoo. Which he's seen and loves and wants to put on a t-shirt.