aberdeen-music

Best music gear suppliers

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I'm hoping to purchase a pair of cheap studio monitors next month, after getting about 30 replies suggesting new models to look at instead of a single person actually answering my question about the availability of 2nd hand ones for sale in my other thread. There's not much in it price wise between all the usual suspects, so who do people trust the most in terms of service & customer support when purchasing stuff? Digital Village have been good to be in years gone by, but I've never ordered from the likes of Soundslive, Thomann etc. any suggestions? :up:

Used to use Piedog but they've since gone bust. Soundslive and Dolphin have been good in the past, although Dolphin seem to have a strange obsession with Behringer gear.

Cheap for them to buy, cheap for the consumer to buy...generates good continuous business! Nothing strange about it ;)

Strange is the sound their gear produces...but hey surely everyone owns at least one piece of behringer gear...even if they won't admit it

depends how much you are willing to spend on studio monitors. Also depends what 'cheap' means. The monitors they use in toms these days are pretty good. They are something like 400 for the pair, and they have a great frequency response.

KRK Rockit 6" monitors

have a look here

Buy KRK RP6 - Rockit 6" Active Studio Monitor [sINGLE] at Chemical Ltd

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i'm not looking for monitor advice, like i said i'm buying alesis m2 520s. I just want to know which suppliers people generally consider to give the best service.

You're buying a pair of monitors which will either work ( and continue to work if not abused) for years or they won't work at all so you send them back. I think you need to judge this one on price. Cheapness normally comes at the expense of after sales service but it's not as if you're buying a complicated bit of software which might need it.

And to answer your question, I've used both Dolphin and Thomann in the past and not had any problems worth typing out.

SoundControl - Generally all round good, staff are helpful, you will probably get a good deal on most things if you phone or go to the shop.

SoundsLive - Geordies who give you quite are often the cheapest.

Studio Spares - Seem to end up using them every so often, once ordered a cable loom/multicore which broke soon after arriving, phoned them up and they sent us a replacement without even asking for the previous one back.

Thomann - German superstore, has most things and some very good deals. Their postage is a flat rate for any item, anywhere in Europe. Obviously a disadvantage when you only order one small item.

GAK - seems to be reasonably priced and has lots of stuff

TurnKey - Shop in Denmark Street, London which has some very good deals and claims it will beat any other price in Europe.

Merchant City music - Weegies who apparently are helpful and give you a good deal if you call.

Guitar Guitar - Walked into their shop in Glasgow, had great selection of useful gear. They have shops in many places. Don't know of anyone using their online ordering.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
You're buying a pair of monitors which will either work ( and continue to work if not abused) for years or they won't work at all so you send them back. I think you need to judge this one on price. Cheapness normally comes at the expense of after sales service but it's not as if you're buying a complicated bit of software which might need it.

And to answer your question, I've used both Dolphin and Thomann in the past and not had any problems worth typing out.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought about that. There seems to be about 10 suppliers all with virtually identical prices, so I think I will just go for the one with the cheapest delivery.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought about that. There seems to be about 10 suppliers all with virtually identical prices, so I think I will just go for the one with the cheapest delivery.

If there's a company which you've dealt with before it might be worth going with them, these places will probably have all your purchases on file if you use the same c/card and/or address and there's nothing like an irate regular customer to make people pull the finger out if there's a problem.

Assuming there isn't much of a price difference.