aberdeen-music

Versatile mic for recording..

Sundance

Bit of both, I got the impression you were implying the pre-amp would cost 200+ then they'd have the mic cost on top of that. If I got that impression, others (like the original poster) may have as well.

It is ambiguous now you mention it.

I priced it at 50 for a pre-amp and 150+ for a mic. I don't think that's too far off the mark without googling.

I use sm57s for recording drums, guitars and very occasionally, vocals. Never had a problem with 'em. Rock solid-hammernailsinwithit-doeswhatitsaysonthetin all round dynamic mic.

Of course, if you go on e bay and buy a chinese copy for 15 then you deserve the muddy shitty output you will undoubtedly get from it.

Get a genuine american version and it will never let you down.

A genuine American version.....made in Mexico 8-)

Ah, those are the sm57LC and they are indeed made in mexico, but by shure and not by xiango rip off electronics.

There are sm57s made in the US and they cost about 70. And don't forget the sm57 beta which is more expensive but a decent mic.

They're all made in mexico..even the beta's. LC stands for "Less Cable" (ie. it doesn't come with a cable)

what really?? Does it? Gosh!!

They're not all made in mexico. It's irrelevant to the post anyway but not I suppose if pendatry and arguing for fun is your driving obsession.

what really?? Does it? Gosh!!

They're not all made in mexico. It's irrelevant to the post anyway but not I suppose if pedantry and arguing for fun is your driving obsession.

I'm afraid it was you that started the pedantry by wrongly stating that the LC at the end indicated Mexican manufacture. Every SM57 is an SM57LC regardless of country of manufacture.

(I'm led to believe that all Shure wired mics, certainly in the entry-mid price range, are made in Mexico or China(by Shure, not rip-off whoever))

" Question

Can you explain the difference between a SM57 and a SM57-LC ?

Answer

The SM57 "microphone" used to come in two different "packages". One was the SM57-CN which included a standard, 7 meter, XLR to XLR mic cable. The other one was the SM57-LC which came without a cable - just the mic and stand adapter.

The SM57 microphone included with both packages is the same. Just packaged differently. A few years ago the package that included the cable (SM57-CN) was discontinued and we continued to sell just the less cable (LC) version.

So to answer your question, when you hold the mic in your hand, you hold a SM57 model, but Shure stock item number is SM57-LC. "

Find an Answer

" Question

Can you explain the difference between a SM57 and a SM57-LC ?

Answer

The SM57 "microphone" used to come in two different "packages". One was the SM57-CN which included a standard, 7 meter, XLR to XLR mic cable. The other one was the SM57-LC which came without a cable - just the mic and stand adapter.

The SM57 microphone included with both packages is the same. Just packaged differently. A few years ago the package that included the cable (SM57-CN) was discontinued and we continued to sell just the less cable (LC) version.

So to answer your question, when you hold the mic in your hand, you hold a SM57 model, but Shure stock item number is SM57-LC. "

Find an Answer

Normally i refuse to indulge in pointless wrangling like this, but when I bought my sm57s they came in a hard case with a clip and a cable. This was a good few years ago. They were clearly marked made in the USA.

Then a few years later I bought sm57s from the same source and they came in a soft case, with no cable and a clip and were designated LC and marked made in mexico.

I did not say LC meant made in mexico, only that the ones without cables originated in mexico.

juvenile pointless wrangling. If i gave a shit i'd photocopy the paperwork, but i don't.

From the Shure website:

"The Shure SM58 and SM57 have been fabricated in Shure's Mexican facilities since circa 1985. "

I think if your 57 claims to have been made in America and it's less than 20 years old they must be referring to the package that was made in USA and not the mic. (i.e. it was shipped from Mexico, put in it's box and the cable added-tadaa:made in america).

Anyway, juvenile squabbling (or accuracy, depends how you look at it) aside, a thought has occurred to me, Mr Ascension thinks that 57's cost 30 and they're shit, maybe he's been the victim of these poor chinese copies?

From the Shure website:

"The Shure SM58 and SM57 have been fabricated in Shure's Mexican facilities since circa 1985. "

I think if your 57 claims to have been made in America and it's less than 20 years old they must be referring to the package that was made in USA and not the mic. (i.e. it was shipped from Mexico, put in it's box and the cable added-tadaa:made in america).

Anyway, juvenile squabbling (or accuracy, depends how you look at it) aside, a thought has occurred to me, Mr Ascension thinks that 57's cost 30 and they're shit, maybe he's been the victim of these poor chinese copies?

You appear to be right re the shure website. I bought 8 of the things when my studio opened in 2000 and looking at the paperwork they claim to be manufactured in the USA. No mention of Mexico. It would seem to be a bit chicanery regarding the packaging and cable as you suggest. I shall stand corrected and disgruntled at shure, although the mics have performed and continue to perform well.

Thomann do a version of the 57 at about 25. I ordered one for a band that then split up and didn't want it. I've since used it and it's surprisingly fine. The output is not as high a genuine shure but it's not too shoddy.

You can find chinese 57s on e bay from 10 upwards. I've repaired one for somebody and it's a piece of crap. Weighs about half of a shure and the electronics are nasty.

I expect the thomann version is also chinese made but is of higher quality.