aberdeen-music

Versatile mic for recording..

Sundance

Ah great post, and a well presented arguement, which would have been GREAT except YOU did this earlier:

In fact the phrase I would use to describe this comment is: "you [are] so arrogant that you can't accept another persons opinion"

Well I'm glad we've got this sorted, basically you have presented yourself as a twat, and have continued to fill out that first impression and finished it off with a lovely spot of hypocrisy. Lovely work friend. Just brilliant.

PS. You are 26?? I am barely over 3 years your junior and you talk to me like I'm 14 when in fact you are acting like the teenager... well I'm glad this display is in the public domain, it's too good to go unappreciated!

Hahahaha. Good job on misinterpreting my point with the recording thing, i wasn't being arrogant it's just that in order to use an SM57 for acoustic to its best you need to have a few tweaks up your sleeve in the mixing/recording stakes. I wasn't saying that you didn't know how to record things but unless you've fiddled around a wee bit with all your parameters etc they're not blatantly obvious, so it's not hypocrisy if you misinterpreted what i meant (though i agree in hindsight it may have been poorly worded).

I'm not acting like a teenager, i don't see wild insults flying around and i'm not making wild accusations. You just seem to have a bee in your bonnet. Chill out. I looked at the mic you suggested and i don't think it would be suitable for the equipment he's using, end of story. If he was using a different set-up i might be persuaded otherwise after having sat down and recorded using both.

I'm sure nobody else has a problem with what i've said to you. I don't.

P.S you're closer to 4 years younger than me.

Guest Kilgore Trout
Me. I am prepared to take the fall for St.Anger however. A guy can't get it right all the time :up:

no hard feelings Bob. next time you are at Makro i'll steal you a tub of Haribo. the stuff you did with motley crue was good, and the black albums tidy as well. but you really really fucked up st. anger- but i'm sure you know that.

p.s can you run the two previous pictogram posts in this thread through pro tools, loop them, compress them to fuck, tweak the bottom end and then tell me what they mean?

thanks.

Bruce Springsteen

no hard feelings Bob. next time you are at Makro i'll steal you a tub of Haribo. the stuff you did with motley crue was good, and the black albums tidy as well. but you really really fucked up st. anger- but i'm sure you know that.

p.s can you run the two previous pictogram posts in this thread through pro tools, loop them, compress them to fuck, tweak the bottom end and then tell me what they mean?

thanks.

Bruce Springsteen

It sucks but i dropped the ball big time with that record and the boys were right to drop me in favour of Rubin for the newie. I think subconsciously i just felt like i'd been almost guaranteed the vacant bassists post and when Trujillo came in i sabotaged my own mix. For shame.

Dunno what Doc's pic post was about but i was calling Maxwell a spanner (he'd've been better off with a picture of someone actually blowing a trumpet though- i think he might suffer from pictorial dyslexia).

Bob Rock.

xxx

nah man, you spent all of your blow on that hot air post about your adventures in recording

:D

Haha, very true. I felt it needed to be said though. I'm no super producer, but i don't exactly sit twiddling my thumbs either. Doc Ascension was wrong in my opinion, i told him so. End of story really. No big deal, no egos bruised on either side. No childish spats. Unless you've got anything to offer on the mic front?

my home recordings were a disaster, although i did use pishy behringer vocal mics, an 8x10 bass cab, MB400+bass head and a shite computer/program/sound card.

i know pretty much nothing about microphones, recording skills or techniques, but i know that you can use a couple of 57s and a 4 x12 and get a good demo recording out of it.

we are hardly at abbey road or electrical audio here. we are talking about some insignificant bands in an insignificant country producing some demos. if you cant get a good demo out of a 57 then somebody or something is at fault

i know pretty much nothing about microphones and recording. i know that you can use a couple of 57s and a 4 x12 and get a good demo recording out of it.

we are hardly at abbey road or electrical audio here. we are talking about some insignificant bands in an insignificant country producing some demos. if you cant get a good demo out of a 57 then somebody or something is at fault

That was my point about using one.

I never quite understood the whole I've-got-a-chubby-for-microphones issue. If you can't get a good sound out of a shure mic, maybe you're a bit gash at playing or setting up your guitar?

Dodgy workman always blames his tools and all that.

It's not really about that, it's just that for this particular situation there are better options than an SM57... tis all...

That was my point about using one.

I entirely accept this point, however I was reading THIS specifically:

Im looking for a good quality microphone for home recording using a zoom digital multi track.

The mic would ideally be used for vocals & acoustic instruments

Would it be better to get a seperate mic for voice & instruments?

This to me does not say Shure SM57?? Good quality for vox and instruments is not an SM57? And the fact that he would consider 2 different mics means he doesn't want a 30 quid jack of all trades .... he wants a GOOD mic for doing vocals and acoustics....

Now imo that has to be a large diaph. condenser which will happily handle both... now it's true sm57 would do the job, but it seems that just "doing the job" insn't what the guy wanted is it??

Of course i've used a shure on an acoustic before but I only ever use it mic'n at the fretboard, usually 12th fret or so and occasionally right at the sound hole and only in combination with a LDC further away for body and warmth.

I entirely accept this point, however I was reading THIS specifically:

This to me does not say Shure SM57?? Good quality for vox and instruments is not an SM57? And the fact that he would consider 2 different mics means he doesn't want a 30 quid jack of all trades .... he wants a GOOD mic for doing vocals and acoustics....

Now imo that has to be a large diaph. condenser which will happily handle both... now it's true sm57 would do the job, but it seems that just "doing the job" insn't what the guy wanted is it??

Of course i've used a shure on an acoustic before but I only ever use it mic'n at the fretboard, usually 12th fret or so and occasionally right at the sound hole and only in combination with a LDC further away for body and warmth.

Yeah, but we decided it was unlikely that his current recording equipment would have phantom power thus rendering a large diaphragm condenser mic useless.

Ultimately yes i agree with you but working at that level of equipment it's pointless spending money on a mic if you can't use it.

Where have you seen an SM57 for 30?

Here's a summary for the thread starter:

A large diaphragm condenser would be best but you'd need a pre-amp with phantom.(200+)

A small diaphragm condenser which takes batteries, such as an AKG C1000 would be almost as good but cheaper.(150)

An sm57 (you don't specify which acoustic instruments so the 57 gets it for versatility)(70)

(prices are estimates off the top of my head)

Or go down the two mic route, but since you've probably only got one input that means you're paying to always have a redundant piece of kit, you'd be better with option 1 for your money.

You know how much you want to spend, there's the options.

And for the rest of you:

As far as mic quality goes, the importance when recording (descending) is

source sound

mic placement

mic

No amount of fancy mics or good positioning is going to make shit sound good, and no fancy mic placed badly is going to sound better than a well placed decent mic.

I don't know if that was directed at my estimate or just general info, but adding in the price of the mic and you're looking at over 200.

Bit of both, I got the impression you were implying the pre-amp would cost 200+ then they'd have the mic cost on top of that. If I got that impression, others (like the original poster) may have as well.