aberdeen-music

New Minus Single

medichi

Can't find it either, where is the link on that site? Hope it's as GREAT as their last record.

Thank god i dont have the music taiste you have! haha

Minus were good until they sold out. So much for staying loyal to the fans that supported them early doors. Did you like their first two cds?

Ha ha - knew you'd hate it Rune! Not your thing, eh?

Jonny Lucifer was at the Minus/Charger show with me "back in the day" at Kef, but is obviously gonna like the Rock n Roll Minus stuff more. I'm sure we already debated the "Minus sell out/don't sell out" thing to death.....

Ha ha - knew you'd hate it Rune! Not your thing, eh?

Jonny Lucifer was at the Minus/Charger show with me "back in the day" at Kef, but is obviously gonna like the Rock n Roll Minus stuff more. I'm sure we already debated the "Minus sell out/don't sell out" thing to death.....

I do like other genres but dont get me wrong, i still dont understand their stance.

God knows why they went from one extreme to the other. I even emailed them about this and got no reply. I guess they dont care enough to bother. Ah well

They changed and developed their style, I haven't seen them jetting around in private planes advertising MacDonalds....

selling out doesnt mean making financial gain, it means changing your style to a more radio friendly sound. Minus sold out by turning their backs on their original fanbase and their original sound to a far more commercial approach

You still haven't answered my question to wether you liked their first two cds

selling out doesnt mean making financial gain, it means changing your style to a more radio friendly sound. Minus sold out by turning their backs on their original fanbase and their original sound to a far more commercial approach

You still haven't answered my question to wether you liked their first two cds

I disagree with rock n roll being selly-out over hardcore. For example, you wouldn't exactly say that the Hellacopters are more commercial than Converge... I bet the latter's profits and media coverage are waaay bigger.

I disagree with rock n roll being selly-out over hardcore. For example, you wouldn't exactly say that the Hellacopters are more commercial than Converge... I bet the latter's profits and media coverage are waaay bigger.

Would you honestly expect the likes of converge to get more media attention and airplay?

Out of the two bands you have mentioned, which would you think would get put on top of the pops?

For example when minus changed their style, they even got their music media endorsement via electronic arts with their music in their games. Would you seriously expect their original material from their first two cds to be put in other ea games?

Would you honestly expect the likes of converge to get more media attention and airplay?

Out of the two bands you have mentioned, which would you think would get put on top of the pops?

For example when minus changed their style, they even got their music media endorsement via electronic arts with their music in their games. Would you seriously expect their original material from their first two cds to be put in other ea games?

I'm not talking about who gets on top of the pops. Neither would, but Converge have a huge teeny bopper following.

Also, Minus changed their style ages ago when the Hives were the in thing. Back then, Mastadon weren't getting into the Asda charts. Things change, but to their credit Minus have stuck with this style for bloody ages now.

Guest Phantomsmasher

Pig Destroyer, Lair of the Minotaur, Mastodon, and one of Wino's bands all had music on one of the more recent Tony Hawk games. On a hiding to nothing as usual, non?

selling out doesnt mean making financial gain, it means changing your style to a more radio friendly sound.

But y'know what? I've never heard Minus on the radio since they changed their style. Or before. And why would they want to get on the radio if it wasn't to sell more records? Isn't that financial gain? You haven't thought your argument through very well now...

Do you belive that a band has a duty to its fans to keep producing the same music forever? Because I don't think that makes you much of a fan to be honest, you'd rather the band stifled their own creative urges to keep their hardcore fanbase happy, which is bullshit. I highly doubt that the members of Minus sat down and said: "Let's make a commercial radio-friendly rock record" (which 'Halldor Laxness' ISN'T!); more likely thet said: "We're sick of screamy hardcore, it was fun, but we wanna do something a bit different."

And people who throw the term 'sold out' around are usually:

a) idiots

b) have no or little experience of what being in a working band is like.

Pig Destroyer, Lair of the Minotaur, Mastodon, and one of Wino's bands all had music on one of the more recent Tony Hawk games. On a hiding to nothing as usual, non?

Since i didnt mention various bands and singled out minus as my argument, your point simply doesn't count

But y'know what? I've never heard Minus on the radio since they changed their style. Or before. And why would they want to get on the radio if it wasn't to sell more records? Isn't that financial gain? You haven't thought your argument through very well now...

Do you belive that a band has a duty to its fans to keep producing the same music forever? Because I don't think that makes you much of a fan to be honest, you'd rather the band stifled their own creative urges to keep their hardcore fanbase happy, which is bullshit. I highly doubt that the members of Minus sat down and said: "Let's make a commercial radio-friendly rock record" (which 'Halldor Laxness' ISN'T!); more likely thet said: "We're sick of screamy hardcore, it was fun, but we wanna do something a bit different."

And people who throw the term 'sold out' around are usually:

a) idiots

b) have no or little experience of what being in a working band is like.

Tell me what sells more, rock or hardcore? Tell me why minus featured on ea sports then after changing their style? So you don't think bands should have morals and stick to their user base by remaining loyal to the people who supported them? I choose not to support minus because they dont care about their fanbase, they are selfish assholes. Do you support people who are selfish?

Minus had an original sound, now they dont. tell me what does that say?

For the THIRD time i will ask, did you like minus's first two cds? I guess that makes you as ignorant as them. Stop second guessing and putting words in their mouths. Tell me how often you say things that are hearsay and from your own mouth in order to TRY and base an argument?

Tell me what sells more, rock or hardcore? Tell me why minus featured on ea sports then after changing their style? So you don't think bands should have morals and stick to their user base by remaining loyal to the people who supported them? I choose not to support minus because they dont care about their fanbase, they are selfish assholes. Do you support people who are selfish?

Minus had an original sound, now they dont. tell me what does that say?

For the THIRD time i will ask, did you like minus's first two cds? I guess that makes you as ignorant as them. Stop second guessing and putting words in their mouths. Tell me how often you say things that are hearsay and from your own mouth in order to TRY and base an argument?

They don't care about their fanbase and are selfish assholes because they continued producing music based on what you'd assume most bands are formed for? Making music that you yourselves as a band like? o_O

I don't really follow Minus as much as I did before but they were never THAT massively original were they? Care to elaborate on that at all please?

They don't care about their fanbase and are selfish assholes because they continued producing music based on what you'd assume most bands are formed for? Making music that you yourselves as a band like? o_O

I don't really follow Minus as much as I did before but they were never THAT massively original were they? Care to elaborate on that at all please?

Who is to say that the record lable put pressure on minus? It does happen you know.

For me i really couldn't find a band that had a similar sound from their first two cds.

Guest Phantomsmasher
Since i didnt mention various bands and singled out minus as my argument, your point simply doesn't count

I stand corrected. You truly are the vessel for all logical thought.

Stop second guessing and putting words in their mouths. Tell me how often you say things that are hearsay and from your own mouth in order to TRY and base an argument?
Who is to say that the record lable put pressure on minus? It does happen you know.

Oop, steady on lad ;)

I don't really believe that a label would cause such a change in a band if they didn't like the music they ended up playing. Or I'd like to not believe it could happen anyways. Wouldn't it be easier to sign a band already playing that type of music and drop Minus? Either way you've still got the first records and I'm sure plenty of alternative bands to listen to in the mean time. Least of all the new Neurosis :)

Oop, steady on lad ;)

I don't really believe that a label would cause such a change in a band if they didn't like the music they ended up playing. Or I'd like to not believe it could happen anyways. Wouldn't it be easier to sign a band already playing that type of music and drop Minus? Either way you've still got the first records and I'm sure plenty of alternative bands to listen to in the mean time. Least of all the new Neurosis :)

Maybe you should look at this site

Downhill Battle - Music Activism

Thumbs up neurosis :)

Lets me think band driven lables are the way forward too

Tell me what sells more, rock or hardcore?

These days? Hardcore, easily.

Tell me why minus featured on ea sports then after changing their style?

Maybe they really liked the game. I'd let any song I'd written go on a game soundtrack, if I liked the game. If Minus' change in style was financially driven, why move from Victory, one of the biggest independent labels in the world; to an unheard-of Icelandic label?

So you don't think bands should have morals and stick to their user base by remaining loyal to the people who supported them? I choose not to support minus because they dont care about their fanbase, they are selfish assholes. Do you support people who are selfish?

Since when did musical genre equate to morality? Aren't you the selfish one for turning your back on a band and calling them assholes because they changed in a way that you didn't like? There are loadsa bands that I love that have changed, in my opinion, for the worse (The Backyard Babies immediately spring to mind), I just don't buy their records anymore, I don't see them as having sold out.

For the THIRD time i will ask, did you like minus's first two cds?

Got a copy of 'Jesus Christ Bobby' somewhere, but I don't listen to it much because I prefer 'Halldor Laxness'. I liked them live when they were more of a hardcore band, they were immensely fucking loud.

Stop second guessing and putting words in their mouths. Tell me how often you say things that are hearsay and from your own mouth in order to TRY and base an argument?

Now, I'm making an assumption here, but I figure I have much more real-life experience of the music industry than you do; and therefore, I'm a bit more qualified to comment on the inner workings of a band. If my (more informed) comments are "hearsay", what are yours? You've made an assumption that Minus made a conscious decision to change style in order to sell more records. You don't know that for sure anymore than I know they didn't.

The upshot is, if you don't like Minus now, don't buy their records. And leave out the ill-informed "sell out" bullshit anytime anyone on here mentions them.

These days? Hardcore, easily.

Maybe they really liked the game. I'd let any song I'd written go on a game soundtrack, if I liked the game. If Minus' change in style was financially driven, why move from Victory, one of the biggest independent labels in the world; to an unheard-of Icelandic label?

Since when did musical genre equate to morality? Aren't you the selfish one for turning your back on a band and calling them assholes because they changed in a way that you didn't like? There are loadsa bands that I love that have changed, in my opinion, for the worse (The Backyard Babies immediately spring to mind), I just don't buy their records anymore, I don't see them as having sold out.

Got a copy of 'Jesus Christ Bobby' somewhere, but I don't listen to it much because I prefer 'Halldor Laxness'. I liked them live when they were more of a hardcore band, they were immensely fucking loud.

Now, I'm making an assumption here, but I figure I have much more real-life experience of the music industry than you do; and therefore, I'm a bit more qualified to comment on the inner workings of a band. If my (more informed) comments are "hearsay", what are yours? You've made an assumption that Minus made a conscious decision to change style in order to sell more records. You don't know that for sure anymore than I know they didn't.

The upshot is, if you don't like Minus now, don't buy their records. And leave out the ill-informed "sell out" bullshit anytime anyone on here mentions them.

1 - Hardcore doesn't outsell rock, are you that out of touch?

2 - Liking the game? Oh please are you that ignorant not to know that electronic arts make the decision? Obviously they got offered more money to move, that not come into your head?

3 - I called them assholes because, they didnt care enough to reply to my emails. Made me think why i supported them in the first. Don't you think bands should listen to what their fanbase has to say? I still believe that in minus changing their style does nothing to support the original fanbase, their style has gone from one extreme to another and i think it's way to big a swing musically for their fanbase not to ask the question why. I asked them why make this change and they simply couldn't reply.

4 - Fair enough but seems like you don't particulary like their harsher original sound. True enough though when i saw them live too it was the band of the night for me :)

5 - My comments are based on the bands lack of responce to my various emails. Tells me they have something to hide. You don't need knowhow in the musical industry to see that.

But what i do know is that in changing from hardcore to rock minus did move to a better selling and wider known genre, i think that speaks volumes. I would also suggest that in the bands unwillingness to reply, that this change was a record lable decision.