aberdeen-music

Why PS3 is better than the Wii and 360

Haha, nice to see you can contribute something informative to a discussion as always.

I actually like PS3, 360 and Wii and would own all of them for differing reasons if i had the money. Chances are i'll buy a Wii until the price comes down on the PS3 and then i'll buy a PS3.

It's just a modern version of the whole Sega Vs Nintendo debate, people are inevitably going to like one more than the other.

I do personally think that Sony have recieved a bit of an unfair bashing on all fronts for this but thats because i know and hear a lot about the development of their products. Their marketing for PS3 is great. They've even got a feature on the console which gives kids parents a good reason for buying one in addition to that HD ready TV the bought recently, a cheap, functional and better than any of the others on the market just now Blu-Ray player.They win hands down on the marketing front with that as far as adults go. Pay an extra couple of hundred s and you get something that mum and dad can use as well as well as the kids, whereas they could buy a 800 stand alone Blu-Ray player. Do the math.

Much more importantly, the matter is thus...

Do i go and pick up my new toy from Game at midnight tonight and risk getting mugged or something equally bad and causing me to loose my almost half a grand newborn.

Or do i leave it til tomorrow and get it first thing in the morning but be unable to sleep and generally rat on about it being in the shop and how i should of gone to pick it up....

Haha, nice to see you can contribute something informative to a discussion as always.

I actually like PS3, 360 and Wii and would own all of them for differing reasons if i had the money. Chances are i'll buy a Wii until the price comes down on the PS3 and then i'll buy a PS3.

It's just a modern version of the whole Sega Vs Nintendo debate, people are inevitably going to like one more than the other.

I do personally think that Sony have recieved a bit of an unfair bashing on all fronts for this but thats because i know and hear a lot about the development of their products. Their marketing for PS3 is great. They've even got a feature on the console which gives kids parents a good reason for buying one in addition to that HD ready TV the bought recently, a cheap, functional and better than any of the others on the market just now Blu-Ray player.They win hands down on the marketing front with that as far as adults go. Pay an extra couple of hundred s and you get something that mum and dad can use as well as well as the kids, whereas they could buy a 800 stand alone Blu-Ray player. Do the math.

All this talk of the features of the PS3, the HD-capabilities and Blu-Ray, but why are you not talking about the games?

Titles that were originally planned to be a PS3 exclusive such as Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA IV and Resident Evil 5 have all been announced to be released on the 360 aswell.

I know that Sony have never really had good launch titles with a new platform, but it wouldn't have hurt to have a new game from one of their biggest selling franchises from the start, similar to Tekken Tag being the first PS2 game. The only two games I have heard about so far are Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man, both of which sound like generic and uninspiring titles.

All this talk of the features of the PS3, the HD-capabilities and Blu-Ray, but why are you not talking about the games?

Titles that were originally planned to be a PS3 exclusive such as Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA IV and Resident Evil 5 have all been announced to be released on the 360 aswell.

I know that Sony have never really had good launch titles with a new platform, but it wouldn't have hurt to have a new game from one of their biggest selling franchises from the start, similar to Tekken Tag being the first PS2 game. The only two games I have heard about so far are Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man, both of which sound like generic and uninspiring titles.

I do agree with that tbh, but i'm pointing out that gaming is only one of its facets and the games will come. There's still not a Mario game out yet for the Wii but folks still bought it (though admittedly there was a Zelda title available). I've only played Motorstorm and it was a fairly generic racing game but the graphics were breathtaking.

I'd look at it long term rather than short term. It'll sell well initially regardless of what's available and a staggered release of new titles after launch might sustain interest in it and keep them getting 425 for it when they've brought down the price of the standalone pack.

Much more importantly, the matter is thus...

Do i go and pick up my new toy from Game at midnight tonight and risk getting mugged or something equally bad and causing me to loose my almost half a grand newborn.

Or do i leave it til tomorrow and get it first thing in the morning but be unable to sleep and generally rat on about it being in the shop and how i should of gone to pick it up....

Pick it up the night - either way, you're not going to sleep.

Bodyguard services available :up:

Am I the only one who sees that sony using software as opposed to hardware in the european version could be a good thing?

Givin the current situation of the PS3 taking so fucking long to be released here, no it isn't a good thing:

"Rather than concentrate on Playstation 2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

UK gamers charged more for inferior PS3 | Breaking News | News | Telegraph

Sony are not going to spend much time on upgrading the firmware to increase compatibility of older PlayStation games, and there's your proof.

Givin the current situation of the PS3 taking so fucking long to be released here, no it isn't a good thing:

UK gamers charged more for inferior PS3 | Breaking News | News | Telegraph

Sony are not going to spend much time on upgrading the firmware to increase compatibility of older PlayStation games, and there's your proof.

Well the bottom part is contrary to what i've been told by Sony themselves. I'd rather believe Sony's development team than the press tbh.

Well the bottom part is contrary to what i've been told by Sony themselves. I'd rather believe Sony's development team than the press tbh.

Have you actually spoken to their ps3 development team? or have you spoken to a sony rep for their tv department?

And of course, an employee of Sony would never lie right? :p

Have you actually spoken to their ps3 development team? or have you spoken to a sony rep for their tv department?

And of course, an employee of Sony would never lie right? :p

Just what I was going to post. Not to question your contacts at Sony Phil, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a TV salesman's contacts are better informed than the President of Sony Europe talking to the continent's gaming press.

Just what I was going to post. Not to question your contacts at Sony Phil, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a TV salesman's contacts are better informed than the President of Sony Europe talking to the continent's gaming press.

Yeah, i fire off emails to one of the guys who works on the team after meeting him at last years Sony conference.

That's what i've been told, but if it's wrong it's wrong.

And he's got no reason to lie to me really, i don't sell the things :p

Yeah, i fire off emails to one of the guys who works on the team after meeting him at last years Sony conference.

That's what i've been told, but if it's wrong it's wrong.

And he's got no reason to lie to me really, i don't sell the things :p

Did it ever occur to you that he may be under strict policy to not disclose certain information?

Did it ever occur to you that he may be under strict policy to not disclose certain information?

That's very true and that has entered my mind and i don't claim to have all insider knowledge. As i said, that wasn't what i've been TOLD, i didn't say that my sources were 100% accurate. The way i interpreted it was that Sony would issue the firmware upgrade in the same way that Microsoft had with the 360 i.e through the internet feature by downloading it onto a disc and loading it into the PS3. I may be wrong though.

I went for the nintendo wii because it offers something new. I got real sick of playing updates and clones. I have always felt nintendo make the most original games that you get alot of fun playing. In the current next gen war i also feel nintendo has made the most innovative machine. where as microsoft and sony have went the easy way of just upgrading the graphics and sound.

Eventually i can see the console market outpricing itself with the advances in technology unless companies like microsoft and sony try something different, which i dont think they can. End of the day if you want graphics and sound get a pc. For me the console market is different

Guest b-bert

i disagree, consoles are about multiplayer games. One of the reasons i bought the first xbox was to play 4 player games. I have played lan games of xbox with 12 people in the sma e room, with beer and food is a good laugh, PCs dont really offer that.

Some analysis from The Register on what Sony need to do to win the next gen battle:

Ten battles the PS3 must fight to win the next-gen console war | Reg Hardware

Oh and I'm with teabags, to say that consoles are better for multiplayer is just madness. Ok you can immediately get 4 people in a room playing the same game but almost every PC game has internet play and the LAN play b-bert was talking about has been around for decades with the PC. I remember having LAN games of Populous on the Amiga in the 90s, great fun.

Exactly. More recently, there was a chain of arcade centres across the UNited Arab Emirates called Action Zone. These had all the best arcade games, from Crazy Taxi, to The Tekken version arcade where you had to stand and fight in a straneg room thing, to 8 player daytona and Guitar Freaks, Beatmania, Drumfreaks etc etc.

Around 2002, half the rooms for all of these arcade centres where stripped out and replaced with computers. For 2.50AED (about 50p) you got half an hour on the machine to play LAN games. Most popular was obviously Counter-Strike, with others including BF1942, Red Alert 2, WoW3.

LAN Cafs are on every street corner in the UAE. ANd LAN parties are huge in america also. Quite surprised theres not more here.

12 players in one room with X-Box? HA! Try 64 players on Battlefield 2!

Guest b-bert

I did know about LAN parties etc but the point was setting up 12 PCs in one house would be a bit tricky. Xbox will match 64 players on battlefield on live (i think).

I did know about LAN parties etc but the point was setting up 12 PCs in one house would be a bit tricky. Xbox will match 64 players on battlefield on live (i think).
So will PCs. But setting up at least a minimum of 16 X-Boxs with 16 TVs would also be a pain, unless you mean everyone will play form their own house on their own X-Box....in which case I go back to PCs, cos they can do that just as easy if not easier.

I reckon setting up a 64 player LAN party with PCs would be alot easier than with X-Boxs. TVs are a fucking pain to transport, unlike monitors. Plus, if you are playing LAN, I'd want my own sceen. so 64 monitors vs 64 TVs?

Guest b-bert
I reckon setting up a 64 player LAN party with PCs would be alot easier than with X-Boxs. TVs are a fucking pain to transport, unlike monitors. Plus, if you are playing LAN, I'd want my own sceen. so 64 monitors vs 64 TVs?

Agreed, but games on that scale i would be tempted to play over the net. Xboxs are nice though as you could have 16 players (common limit in xbox games) with relatively little gear.

But you do have to live with split screen.

On a side note i could play my 360 through a monitor getting rid of the tv problem.