aberdeen-music

Why PS3 is better than the Wii and 360

And to add, the 360 doesn't use a system that supports True-HD as you can't through component cables (max through component is 720p). The only leads capable of relaying a True-HD signal are HDMI and DV-I.

The much rumoured black xbox many believe to be announced next month is supposed to have an HDMI port. But at this stage it's just rumour.

The much rumoured black xbox many believe to be announced next month is supposed to have an HDMI port. But at this stage it's just rumour.

I have actually read that the software update for the 360 does actually enable it output 1080p but as of yet the hardware doesn't.

Doesn't that re-release, if it happens, just make Microsoft more of a 'hate' figure than Sony though? At least Sony have spent a bit more time refining their product and putting out something that features and spec-wise is at the forefront of the market (bear in mind i first saw a PS3 in it's embryonic stages in the flesh well over a year ago now and it's changed in all fronts considerably) rather than duping their followers into buying a sub-standard spec machine only to release a proper HD console a year later.

The RE1 remake is pretty scary stuff... very much because of the standard of Graphics. RE4 is a game that reduced me to the complete wreck. All I could do was swear and hop around the room. This state was induced by fear and I entirely blame the graphics on this.

haha yeah, jumped out my skin when windows smash and dogs come flying through them!!!!! woof woof!

I can't see myself buying a PS3 - firstly due to the price - as the PS2 was a sore loser in my eyes. The general standard of games were just piss poor and despite the odd shining star the graphics weren't immense on anything, the loading screens pissed me off and the console itself is nothing special. I'm easily a gamecube fan.

It depends on what games you wanted to play really.

I love the Gamecube and was determined to buy one. However, I bought the PS2 because it had a much more extensive third-party support whereas the Cube only rarely had strong non-Nintendo developed games (Resi 4, Tales of Symphonia and killer7 before being ported to PS2 as a few examples) Most cube games that I'd consider fantastic are mostly all Nintendo franchises like Smash Bros, Zelda and Metroid.

I agree that the quality of software on the Cube was far better compared to the PS2, however the PS2 had huge support from Capcom, Square-Enix, Konami, Namco, SNK, Bandai, EA, Free Radical and Eidos, and with those companies are franchises like Resi, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Final fantasy, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Kingdom Hearts, .hack//.... I could go on for ages.

Also, most multi-platform releases were shit on any system for gameplay, EA being one of the main culprits.

I have actually read that the software update for the 360 does actually enable it output 1080p but as of yet the hardware doesn't.

Doesn't that re-release, if it happens, just make Microsoft more of a 'hate' figure than Sony though? At least Sony have spent a bit more time refining their product and putting out something that features and spec-wise is at the forefront of the market (bear in mind i first saw a PS3 in it's embryonic stages in the flesh well over a year ago now and it's changed in all fronts considerably) rather than duping their followers into buying a sub-standard spec machine only to release a proper HD console a year later.

Not really, most consumer hardware goes through revisions (Sony are the biggest culprits of the gaming world. Look at the first two playstations, and there's a new slimline PSP on the horizon). It's a way of giving a short term sales boost and disrupting rival product launches that may be happening around the same time.

Besides releasing an updated console with improved features has to be better than Sony's tactic of releasing a console with worse features in the European market than the one they've released everywhere else.

Guest b-bert
. It's also funny how all the Windows bashers can stomach having an X-box 360, yet still feel like they can be so vehement about knocking the OS that the company that makes them uses. It's like being a vegetarian 6 days a week but eating a full roast on a sunday.

I am one of these people.

As far as i am concerned it's not hypocritical. i bought the original xbox due to games i wanted and the fact it had a hard drive and games i wanted to play. The 360 although has less features than the ps3 has games i want to play eg forza 2. The reason i hate windows is it is crap. The reason i like the xbox 360 is it is good.

Besides releasing an updated console with improved features has to be better than Sony's tactic of releasing a console with worse features in the European market than the one they've released everywhere else.

That's not strictly speaking true. We aren't getting the 20gb option and the software on our PS3 will not be as 'backwards' compatible as it is in other markets. That's all.

EDIT- I would like to add that there are still 295 xbox games listed as not compatible with the XBOX 360 in the European market. So it's hardly fair to accuse Sony of releasing a worse console than Microsoft when their guilty of the same thing. I dunno where you get your info from Chris, but its shite.

That's not strictly speaking true. We aren't getting the 20gb option and the software on our PS3 will not be as 'backwards' compatible as it is in other markets. That's all.

EDIT- I would like to add that there are still 295 xbox games listed as not compatible with the XBOX 360 in the European market. So it's hardly fair to accuse Sony of releasing a worse console than Microsoft when their guilty of the same thing. I dunno where you get your info from Chris, but its shite.

When I said worse I meant we're getting a worse version of the PS3 than the US and Japanese markets. I wasn't stating an opinion on the 360 vs the PS3.

I get my info from reading the tech press.

When I said worse I meant we're getting a worse version of the PS3 than the US and Japanese markets. I wasn't stating an opinion on the 360 vs the PS3.

I get my info from reading the tech press.

But as i said, it's not worse tech speaking.

I get it from the factory that makes them, think i've got a bit more of an insider scoop than the press (like they've never got stuff wrong before :p )

But as i said, it's not worse tech speaking.

I get it from the factory that makes them, think i've got a bit more of an insider scoop than the press (like they've never got stuff wrong before :p )

But it has worse features! It's less backwards compatible than the US and Japanese versions. It's technical specification is inferior. Yet we lucky Europeans get to pay more for the priviledge.

I get that as you work for a Sony dealer you have a direct link to the company, but it's not like we're arguing about something that has just been guessed at by the media. This is a fact reported from Sony press releases.

But it has worse features! It's less backwards compatible than the US and Japanese versions. It's technical specification is inferior. Yet we lucky Europeans get to pay more for the priviledge.

I get that as you work for a Sony dealer you have a direct link to the company, but it's not like we're arguing about something that has just been guessed at by the media. This is a fact reported from Sony press releases.

Yeah, but as i said already, the only difference is the software and as Sony also reported there will be a free downloadable update available to combat those issues after the release. And as i also stated Xbox 360 STILL suffers from poor backwards compatibility nearly a year and a half AFTER its release, so who's being more informative with their customers. At least Sony have had the balls to be upfront about it prior to the release date and not let their consumers know about it after its release like Microsoft.

And we've always paid more for our consoles than other markets so that shouldn't be a new concept for you to get round?

Who would want the 20gb version anyway?

Yeah, but as i said already, the only difference is the software and as Sony also reported there will be a free downloadable update available to combat those issues after the release. And as i also stated Xbox 360 STILL suffers from poor backwards compatibility nearly a year and a half AFTER its release, so who's being more informative with their customers. At least Sony have had the balls to be upfront about it prior to the release date and not let their consumers know about it after its release like Microsoft.

And we've always paid more for our consoles than other markets so that shouldn't be a new concept for you to get round?

The only difference isn't the software, they've removed hardware from the console (emotion chip) to make it less backwards compatible than the US version.

At the end of the day I don't think compatibility is a big deal as people buy a next gen console to play next gen games, not their old ones, but it's the fact that Sony are treating the European gamers differently that annoys me.

Stop mentioning the 360, I haven't been mentioning it so I dunno why you are. Anyway if I remember correctly Microsoft announced sometime before release that not all old games would work so I don't even know what you're talking about.

Paying more isn't a new concept, but neither is my rage at the fact.

The only difference isn't the software, they've removed hardware from the console (emotion chip) to make it less backwards compatible than the US version.

But the games are different in both markets, ultimately the lack of hardware makes the European one more flexible as it doesn't have to be reigned in by that 'emotion' chip and is easier to update.

At the end of the day I don't think compatibility is a big deal as people buy a next gen console to play next gen games, not their old ones, but it's the fact that Sony are treating the European gamers differently that annoys me.

Sony aren't the only company that do it though so stop greeting about them in particular. Aim your criticism at the console market as a whole rather than just one manufacturer.

Stop mentioning the 360, I haven't been mentioning it so I dunno why you are. Anyway if I remember correctly Microsoft announced sometime before release that not all old games would work so I don't even know what you're talking about.

I'm mentioning the 360 as an example of a 'next gen' console where the situation is worse than in the case of the PS3 and in the vein hope that you'd see that was the case and quit banging on about it and stop being such a naysayer before you've even had a proper look/play on the flipping thing. And yes they did, but they didn't detail all the releases and whether they would or wouldn't and there are still 295 releases that aren't compatible and that varies from the japanese market where there are only 60.

Paying more isn't a new concept, but neither is my rage at the fact.

Well its not just Sony that you're moaning about then is it, so stop aiming your arguement specifically at them. Surely your issue is with the whole games industry as all companies treat their customers in a similar fashion.

with regard to higher prices the anger should be aimed at the banks and governments of europe as it's our stronger economy which forces the higher prices plus the extra taxes. Also europe is an incredibly complex market compared to the usa and japanese ones. different languages, censorship controls, and even plugs make it more expensive to produce products for europe for japanese and american based games companies.

sony and microsoft both have their faults and at the end of the day have two incredibly similar products each with it's pros and cons. personally i like the 360 and dislike the way sony have behaved during the build up to the release of the ps3. i also think that the 360 and wii have too much going for them for sony to obliterate them like they did with the ps2 so at the very least the next gen playing field will be more level.

I'm only aiming at sony because that's what the topic was about. I'm fairly open minded that it's going to be a good machine, and I hope it is. But at the moment it's launch is this week so it's in the firing line.

I don't think the situation is worse with the 360. Think about how many PS2s were sold compared to the xbox. The backwards compatibility issue is much, much larger for sony than it was for Microsoft. Additionally the compatibility issue didn't come after a multitude of perceived mistakes by the company in the run up to launch like it has with Sony.

My ciriticism is pretty mild really compared to what some people and the industry press are saying, and is purely based on things that I genuinely believe they've done badly. If the machine turns out to be amazing then it'll go a long way towards making up for the mistakes they've made in the run up to it's release.

I'm only aiming at sony because that's what the topic was about. I'm fairly open minded that it's going to be a good machine, and I hope it is. But at the moment it's launch is this week so it's in the firing line.

I don't think the situation is worse with the 360. Think about how many PS2s were sold compared to the xbox. The backwards compatibility issue is much, much larger for sony than it was for Microsoft. Additionally the compatibility issue didn't come after a multitude of perceived mistakes by the company in the run up to launch like it has with Sony.

My ciriticism is pretty mild really compared to what some people and the industry press are saying, and is purely based on things that I genuinely believe they've done badly. If the machine turns out to be amazing then it'll go a long way towards making up for the mistakes they've made in the run up to it's release.

I don't see them as having made that many mistakes though. They've been fairly upfront about the whole thing.

My personal favourite was that the initial run of non-commercial PS3 had to be scrapped as the internal cooling system wasn't good enough and the thing ended up melting its own casing ;)

Maybe it's just a general perception that they've stuffed up a lot of the build up then. Sometimes that's more harmful than actual mistakes.

I'm looking forward to reading the reviews after this weekend. Hopefully someone I know will buy one at launch so I can have a shot and find out for myself if it's any good.

www.ibumps3.com

or

www.howdoyouremovethisps3outofmyass.com