aberdeen-music

Why PS3 is better than the Wii and 360

still sony will be able to get their jollies this week when the ps3 launches. then like the psp it will dwindle away to oblivion. :)

In all fairness, i'd be very surprised if that happened, the only thing really plauging the Europe launch is the fact that we're paying far over the odds, frankly everything else about the console kicks seven shades of shit out it's competitors. Bearing in mind the 360 has had a year to iron out all its flaws, 12 months from now i think the PS3 will have had a chance to come down in price and sort out upgrades to fix the whole backwards compatibility issue and the whole next gen battle should become really interesting.

In all fairness, i'd be very surprised if that happened, the only thing really plauging the Europe launch is the fact that we're paying far over the odds, frankly everything else about the console kicks seven shades of shit out it's competitors. Bearing in mind the 360 has had a year to iron out all its flaws, 12 months from now i think the PS3 will have had a chance to come down in price and sort out upgrades to fix the whole backwards compatibility issue and the whole next gen battle should become really interesting.

i'd be surprised to but there's no way the ps3 kicks seven shades of shit out of anything. it's a great machine but i just don't buy it. maybe if sony weren't so damned arrogant about the whole affair it wouldn't be so funny watching nintendo kick their arse on handhelds and next gen consoles.

the ps3 on paper is the most powerful console but time and time again developers have came out and said that they can't get that power out of it because the ps3 is so hard to program for. the 360 and the wii are much easier and so you're seeing more immediate results.

the ps3 is nothing but a box of stolen ideas and false promises. i see their new innovative idea is a habbo hotel/second life rip off. well done sony. :D

anyway, they don't have 12 months to fix it. in 12 months halo 3 will come out and the next gen battle will be over if sony haven't got the games out and the sales going up.

i'd be surprised to but there's no way the ps3 kicks seven shades of shit out of anything. it's a great machine but i just don't buy it. maybe if sony weren't so damned arrogant about the whole affair it wouldn't be so funny watching nintendo kick their arse on handhelds and next gen consoles.

the ps3 on paper is the most powerful console but time and time again developers have came out and said that they can't get that power out of it because the ps3 is so hard to program for. the 360 and the wii are much easier and so you're seeing more immediate results.

the ps3 is nothing but a box of stolen ideas and false promises. i see their new innovative idea is a habbo hotel/second life rip off. well done sony. :D

anyway, they don't have 12 months to fix it. in 12 months halo 3 will come out and the next gen battle will be over if sony haven't got the games out and the sales going up.

The Wii doesn't qualify as a next gen console does it?

PS3 looks quite good. Price is expensive but its the cheapest and best Blu-Ray machine on the market just now which should win it some credit in the next Gen Race.

The Wii doesn't qualify as a next gen console does it?

Course it does. It's the generation after the gamecube. Just because they chose to go for for the different control system path rather than the add as much power as possible path doesn't exclude it from the fight.

I'm swaying more towards the 360 at the moment after seeing the games coming out for it just now. Not that I can afford to buy any of them mind, so it's all theoretical.

Course it does. It's the generation after the gamecube. Just because they chose to go for for the different control system path rather than the add as much power as possible path doesn't exclude it from the fight.

I'm swaying more towards the 360 at the moment after seeing the games coming out for it just now. Not that I can afford to buy any of them mind, so it's all theoretical.

As far as i know it doesn't meet the criteria for judging whether it's officially 'next gen' (as the term stands- if you take it literally then yes it does). It's still a good console though.

The 360 can't output a true HD signal so it's not one that i'd go with although when i've played on the hybrid HD signal on an HD ready TV it has been impressive.

I've seen 1080p on a PS3 though and it makes the 360 look shite tbh.

Ive played all three. Motor Storm on the PS3 was fucking shit. I nearly broke my elbows trying to use its fucking terrible motion sensor controller.

360 I reckon is the one to go for. As soon as I've got the money, I'm buying one, which I regret not doing sooner.

The Wii, I like the idea of, but it's more of a party machine, and I'd rather play proper games.

Regarding the programming affair, it was the exact same story back when the PS2 came out, it's a new console, launch games have never been Sony's forte, like i say i think it's going to be a matter of time before anything truely great comes out on the console, it might even be the next-next gen before any of the consoles can do the HD revolution true justice. Plus, games-wise alot of developers right now would rather put out a game on PS2 that over 100 million people will be able to play on launch day, which they have complete confidence in making the best game possible, until the PS3 takes over. Like i say, give it 12 months, the point i was making is that it's certainly not going to 'dwindle away into oblivion'.

Although I could see that happening to the PSP as Sony tried to take on what is effectively Nintendo's market, great little machine but was never really given the time of day by the programmers and will probably never live it's full potential. Left with a catalouge comprised of a dumping ground of re-makes and old PSOne/2 games. Shame.

Ive played all three. Motor Storm on the PS3 was fucking shit. I nearly broke my elbows trying to use its fucking terrible motion sensor controller.

360 I reckon is the one to go for. As soon as I've got the money, I'm buying one, which I regret not doing sooner.

The Wii, I like the idea of, but it's more of a party machine, and I'd rather play proper games.

Yeah i wasn't a fan of the controller either. I much prefer the controllers for the 360. The games will come on the PS3 though, at the moment as i said the Blu-Ray at an affordable price is a big draw.

As far as i know it doesn't meet the criteria for judging whether it's officially 'next gen' (as the term stands- if you take it literally then yes it does). It's still a good console though.

The 360 can't output a true HD signal so it's not one that i'd go with although when i've played on the hybrid HD signal on an HD ready TV it has been impressive.

I've seen 1080p on a PS3 though and it makes the 360 look shite tbh.

how isn't it true hd?

PS3 looks quite good. Price is expensive but its the cheapest and best Blu-Ray machine on the market just now which should win it some credit in the next Gen Race.

I believe that is exactly one of Sony's major flaws yet again - using their own format. Blu-Ray will not be a standard like HD-DVD will be, as they cost more to produce both players and discs. Noone will want to buy an overpriced Sony (or Sony licenced) player that will only play thier format. Same thing with those shitty UMD movies. Why pay more than a DVD for the same movie that can only be played in a letterbox screen?

They seem to be obsessed with giving us the ultimate media system, but I am a gamer, and although extra features are nice, I couldn't give a flying fuck about the system if there aren't any games I want to play on it. Once again, this mirrors the fact that the DS is completely kicking the PSP's arse in the handheld market.

I will end up with all three eventually. At the moment I have the 360 and Wii. The 360 doesn't get much use at the moment thanks to a glut of identikit shooters and gta clones. The only thing keeping it alive for me is the xbox live arcade, with the old turtles arcade game out last week and Castlevania S.O.T.N. out tomorrow.

In the future the 360 will strengthen with more varied games on the horizon such as the new one from bioware (name escapes me at the moment), the new resident evil, virtua fighter 5, and devil may cry 4.

The Wii is a good machine and comes into its own with groups of people round for the mutiplayer. Having said that there are some great one player games for it like excitetruck, zelda and a whole pile of pc engine, megadrive, snes, nes and n64 stuff on the virtual console.

Also nintendo is the ONLY one of the 3 companies to get backwards compatibility 100% sorted, with all cube games, pads and memory cards working on the Wii.

The PS3 I want to like, but all I'v seen so far suggests I'd be better waiting for:

a) a massive price drop

b)better software

c)a settling in period since it seems to be comparitivly bombing in traditional sony strongholds.

I also dispise the arrogence that Sony has displayed towards it's European customers with the late arrival of the console, followed by the shutting down of importers who were mearly selling the ps3 when sony SHOULD have released it in these terrotories. The price should be cheaper given that Japan has already had a price cut, and to top it all off they changed the insides of the machine, selling europe a machine without a ps2 chip in it, instead depending on emulation to play ps2 games (which has chopped down the amount of backwards compatabile titles by a huge amount.

It's hard to judge if it will be any good, as I didn't think the PS2 found it's stride for at least a couple of years, but came out the best balanced console of the last generation, in my opinion, all things considered.

Thats my tuppence worth for what it's worth.

Try playing 9 hours of wii then work the next day! Robotic implants would of come in handy. I had to stop playing my wii for days due to my fucked arms lol

how isn't it true hd?

The Wii outputs at max 480p.

the term 'true HD' is what some people are using to describe resolutions of 1080p and eventually upwards when it comes about. Whereas anything with the HD logo on it is HD, this is kind of the pinnacle of HD and has been called 'True HD' tho it's not a trademark or official title.

the term 'true HD' is what some people are using to describe resolutions of 1080p and eventually upwards when it comes about. Whereas anything with the HD logo on it is HD, this is kind of the pinnacle of HD and has been called 'True HD' tho it's not a trademark or official title.

They were talking about the 360

Yeah, and the max output of the 360 is 1080i and that is only achievable through the HD-DVD add on. normal output for the 360 is 720p.

As for Blu-Ray being 'only Sony', that's bullshit. They are the major player, granted, but there are a lot of companies that are behind them. Certainly as many as with HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray has a lot more scope as a media than HD-DVD. Storage capacity is higher, 1080p is not standard on HD-DVD players whereas it is on Blu-Ray, True-HD sound is a more achievable format on Blu-Ray and will be standard on Blu-Ray discs/releases whereas it won't on HD-DVD. The list is endless.

People have a grudge against Sony. It's ill informed. All the consoles have their merits and downfall and there's always going to be a 'one vs the other' mentality with consoles. In the 80s/90s it was Sega Vs Nintendo, now its Sony Vs Microsoft. It's also funny how all the Windows bashers can stomach having an X-box 360, yet still feel like they can be so vehement about knocking the OS that the company that makes them uses. It's like being a vegetarian 6 days a week but eating a full roast on a sunday.

As for Blu-Ray being 'only Sony', that's bullshit. They are the major player, granted, but there are a lot of companies that are behind them. Certainly as many as with HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray has a lot more scope as a media than HD-DVD. Storage capacity is higher, 1080p is not standard on HD-DVD players whereas it is on Blu-Ray, True-HD sound is a more achievable format on Blu-Ray and will be standard on Blu-Ray discs/releases whereas it won't on HD-DVD. The list is endless.

After researching this, I have realised that my statement was a bit simplistic and untrue. I wonder if the factor of the 360 supporting HD-DVD and PS3 having Blu-Ray support will affect which will eventually become standard.

People have a grudge against Sony. It's ill informed. All the consoles have their merits and downfall and there's always going to be a 'one vs the other' mentality with consoles. In the 80s/90s it was Sega Vs Nintendo, now its Sony Vs Microsoft.

Maybe for some folk, but I am playing my PS2 right now, which is easily the best console out of the last gen for the games that I like, and I decided to buy it instead of a Cube or XBox.

I am not anti-Sony, but I am getting tired of their bullshit, and like someone else previously mentioned, so far the PS3 just seems like a box full of stolen ideas and unfilfilled promises.

After researching this, I have realised that my statement was a bit simplistic and untrue. I wonder if the factor of the 360 supporting HD-DVD and PS3 having Blu-Ray support will affect which will eventually become standard.

Maybe for some folk, but I am playing my PS2 right now, which is easily the best console out of the last gen for the games that I like, and I decided to buy it instead of a Cube or XBox.

I am not anti-Sony, but I am getting tired of their bullshit, and like someone else previously mentioned, so far the PS3 just seems like a box full of stolen ideas and unfilfilled promises.

They'll both co-exist happily. It's the media that are making it a war. DVD-/+R/RW have existed together happily despite only certain companies backing each.

As i said before it's media hype. When was the last time you were able to use a NES cartridge in a Master System or a Commodore Amiga disc in an Atari ST, or a MAC CDROM in a PC? Does it matter what is and isn't compatible? People buy them for the games at the end of the day generally, but in this case the PS3 is the first affordable True HD outputting disc orientated system so it will garner sales regardless of what the initial run of games is. Though there will be enough ports of PS2 standards onto the PS3 in sequel form to ease the transfer until there are more unique titles available.

there's an awful lot of talk abou the PS3 being the first "true" HD console, but maybe i'm a drop in the water with my opinion, but havent graphics reached a stage where they are good no matter what?!?! surely they can only add so much to a game.

for example if a pish game like...........well lets just say the large majority of movie tie-in games were to have ultra realistic graphics how much would it really improve the game by??? the answer, probably not at all.surely the game itself and the enjoyment from playing it is far more important than how good it looks?

the only game that i have really played that i can say the graphics made the game better is "Resident Evil 4" because the lighting effects made the game really atmospheric compared to the previous Resident Evil games.

Or are graphics what most people really care about when they are playing games??

the only game that i have really played that i can say the graphics made the game better is "Resident Evil 4" because the lighting effects made the game really atmospheric compared to the previous Resident Evil games.

Have you not played the RE1 remake for the Gamecube? That had some fantastic lighting and photo-realistic environments.

Have you not played the RE1 remake for the Gamecube? That had some fantastic lighting and photo-realistic environments.

oh yeah i actually have that game, completely forgot to mention it, yeah so thats 2 games i've played that the graphics have added to the experience.

i don't think "horror" games like resident evil work as great without the better graphics i suppose.