aberdeen-music

anyone know who the support is for Idlewild tonight?

framheim

yea, great gig! now it's overhead were a bit dull though and the singer was pissing me off with his nonsense. he was barely touching that guitar yet was flailing around like he was playing jimi hendrix.

idlewild were on top, top form though. great set and seemed really up for it last night. i think we got lucky cause i've seen some of the set lists for the other shows and they played much more oldies last night than anywhere else. good to hear satan polaroid again.

Really enjoyed that last night. Idlewild are a much better band when they plug in and really crank it up. It was like a greatest hits set, not heavily reliant on the new stuff - could only have wished for Film for the future to top it off.

thumbs up emoticon

yea, and actually it's darkness woulda been nice too. newcastle got 4 people do good as the encore opener which would've been a blast but i think overall we did pretty darn good.

i'll be looking out for the dvd in november.

Desalvo should have been the support band. Cos then everyone would have left.

This post was rubbish. Sorry.

hehe, that woulda been good.

"This next song's called Cock Swastika"

*horrified indie kids run screaming from the venue*

allan spent most of idlewild's set trying to run the length of the monitors. he nearly made it as well. i think he was only foiled by the fact he'd broken his radio transmitter and had to use a lead of limited length.

desalvo would have been a great replacement for the ferocity that departed the idlewild set years ago

even when they play songs like 4 people do good, satan polaroid (which they have been doing for years), film for the future et al they butcher them at half speed and with less passion.

the most recent single was pretty decent although VERY similar to a modern way of letting go

idlewild will always have a special place in my heart, even if the new stuff aint to my tastes and the live show is cluttered

desalvo would have been a great replacement for the ferocity that departed the idlewild set years ago

even when they play songs like 4 people do good, satan polaroid (which they have been doing for years), film for the future et al they butcher them at half speed and with less passion.

heaven forbid a band should ever evolve their sound or change an old song. they don't 'butcher' them, they're just different. i don't think idlewild will ever return to the sound of old but they're a more complete band now than they ever were in the early days. i just don't get why people bang on about them not being as loud or fast as they used to be. some of the songs sound better slowed down! (christ, i must be getting old)

i know they've been doing satan polaroid for years but i don't think they played it the last couple of times i saw them so it was good to hear it again. amongst others.

im not making a fuss about them evloving, it would be boring for them to do the same thing the whole time. some of their quieter stuff and b-sides from in remote part era were some of the best things they ever did. i aint disputing that dave. but in my eyes, when you play a song like self healer or satan polariod slow/acoustic you are butchering the song, and most certainly not re-inventing the wheel as some would try and convince.

im not making a fuss about them evloving, it would be boring for them to do the same thing the whole time. some of their quieter stuff and b-sides from in remote part era were some of the best things they ever did. i aint disputing that dave. but in my eyes, when you play a song like self healer or satan polariod slow/acoustic you are butchering the song, and most certainly not re-inventing the wheel as some would try and convince.

ah well, each to his own i guess. i just get a bit fed up hearing the same argument ever since 100 broken windows came out.

it's a balancing act i guess. last night they played some songs fairly straight(albeit, as someone kept moaning, without any screaming) such as everyone says you're so fragile and then they played others softer like self healer and satan polaroid. the band have to keep it interesting for themselves and the fans. personall, although it's great to hear old favourites the way i remember them, i think it's also nice to hear reworkings of those songs. particularly as roddy's voice is so much better these days than it ever was back in the day.

last night was great though and i wish i was going to perth as well.

Surely he just doesn't scream 'cause it would totally screw up his vocals and therefore make it a bit hard to sing the more recent stuff? I mean, he was like, sixteen at the time of Captain/HiI so, y'know, of course he's going to scream a bit, now he's just grown out of that voice... maybe, that's just what I think; I'm no doctor, don't take this for gold.

Either way, I thought it was fantastic. Acoustic Self-Healer was just ace, and they played pretty much everything I wanted them to.

How long was the set though? They said it was going to be a bit longer, but, I wasn't counting, they must've been on for well over an hour and a half though?

The support weren't bad either, particularly enjoyed towards the end of their set.

...and, I like how the crowd were relatively un-lively until he was like, "You realise we're recording this show for the DVD, right?" and then everyone just went mad.

I think the only thing that could've made it better would be the whole of 100BW, but that's never going to happen.

• 1 month later...