aberdeen-music

The Damned - Plan 9 Channel 7

YouTube - the damned - plan 9 channel 7

A 70s punk masterpiece and work of crazed genius. Taken from Machine Gun Etiquette - one of the finest punk full lengths ever. And shit, what can you say about these guys? Nothing short of amazing. And in Vanian, Sensible, and Rat, they had three of the most exciting punk performers out there. Awesome. Check their main web page here: OfficialDamned.com - The Damned official website

machine gun etiquette is one of my favourite albums. It blew my mind when I heard it as an impressionable 16yr old.

I heard they toured up here a couple of years ago, they played drummonds but I missed it. I saw them a couple of times in the 80's before they split. For the first time.

pete

inthehills

Cracking album - one of my faves too. Much better than the patchy and badly recorded debut or mess that is Music For Pleasure.

The "reformed" lineup (Vanian, Captain, Scabies and Patricia Morrison) played Glow (now Kef) in 2000 when the fantastic Grave Disorder album came out.

The newer lineup with Pinch on drums and Monty the Moron on keys have played The Forum and more recently Moshulu but are still too big for Cafe Drummonds! Every time they have been absolutely brilliant - still one of the best live bands around with banter most groups would kill for. And Vanian, like a fine wine, gets better with age!

Regarding second full length Music For Pleasure, I think a lotta folks are a lil too harsh in their criticisms of it. Produced by Pink Floyd's Nick Mason, think it has stood the test of time, and produced two excellent singles - Problem Child and Don't Cry Wolf. Sure, it's not Machine Gun Etiquette, but is still a fine piece of work, as is their more abrasive debut.

In 1982 the guys punched out another great album - Strawberries, and I think their last great work. But really, MGE is by far their best. And gotta say that while it does have many fine moments, found The Black Album a lil disappointing.

Fraid while I've had several opportunities to do so, have never caught 'em live, though I did catch bassist Algy Ward's next outfit Tank. Caught 'em with Motorhead in I think 1981 or thereabouts on the Iron Fist tour. Folks can check 'em out on MySpace here: www.myspace.com/officialtank Still sound pretty good to these ears.

And regarding other music projects, has anyone else heard the awesome Naz Nomad And The Nightmares psychedelic full length Give Daddy The Knife Cindy with Vanian, Rat, and Roman Jugg playing different roles? Brilliant.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Plan 9 Channel 7, great song. Probably my favourite Damned song except "Nasty" (the song that got me into punk when I saw it on "The Young Ones" back in nineteen oatcake) and "Liar", a B-side. Will always have a soft spot for them. Did anyone else see them when they played Turriff in 1994? The only Scottish date on their European tour, not Glasgow, not Edinburgh, but Turriff! Bizarre. Think Duane Bloodshot! had a hand in it.

aye

The Gin Goblins supported and sae did Maggots band, he got me on the guestlist and I got thrown out of the back stage area for drinking the other bands beer, he he he, happy days. I bumped into Captain in Union Street on the way to see Moby, I had forgotten how tall he is , MON THE BLAH PARTY (AND POINTLESS NAME DROPPING).

Plan 9 Channel 7, great song. Probably my favourite Damned song except "Nasty" (the song that got me into punk when I saw it on "The Young Ones" back in nineteen oatcake) and "Liar", a B-side.

Ah from the Thanks For The Night EP, and as I recall the last release to feature the Captain. That is until his more recent return. Yeah, caught their appearance on The Young Ones too. Great.

Catch Catch the horror taxi

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Catch Catch the horror train

Freeze Frame is gonna drive you insane

Guest bluesxman
Regarding second full length Music For Pleasure, I think a lotta folks are a lil too harsh in their criticisms of it. Produced by Pink Floyd's Nick Mason, think it has stood the test of time, and produced two excellent singles - Problem Child and Don't Cry Wolf. Sure, it's not Machine Gun Etiquette, but is still a fine piece of work, as is their more abrasive debut.

In 1982 the guys punched out another great album - Strawberries, and I think their last great work. But really, MGE is by far their best. And gotta say that while it does have many fine moments, found The Black Album a lil disappointing.

Pretty much a parallel opinion to mine on their albums, Strawberries was the first one I bought and still much underrated in my opinion. Music For Pleasure for me suffers more from it's weak sound than lack of decent songs. My copy of The Black Album was bought second hand and is signed, no idea if signatures are the genuine article or not.

Saw them at Kef in 2000, great gig....

Music For Pleasure for me suffers more from it's weak sound than lack of decent songs. My copy of The Black Album was bought second hand and is signed, no idea if signatures are the genuine article or not.

Recall folks thinking the bands refusal to talk about Music For Pleasure a lil strange - this despite its similarities to The Black Album.